Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2009, 17:36   #706
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
safari sells? safari sells the least in its segment, even lesser than the tavera!

i think if at that price, tata offers a host of features, comfortable cabin, stylish looks & good ride quality, it may sell well.
Safari is not in the Tavera Segment. It is a clear 3L more expensive than the Tavera which is an MUV and not an SUV. It is the most premium and expensive SUV in the sub 15L segment and so is expected to sell in lesser numbers as it clearly does not address the Taxi market which the Sumo, Xylo, Scorpio, Tavera, Innova address.

Pls dont confuse segments between MUV and SUV.
Old 2nd November 2009, 22:28   #707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Safari is not in the Tavera Segment. It is a clear 3L more expensive than the Tavera which is an MUV and not an SUV. It is the most premium and expensive SUV in the sub 15L segment and so is expected to sell in lesser numbers as it clearly does not address the Taxi market which the Sumo, Xylo, Scorpio, Tavera, Innova address.

Pls dont confuse segments between MUV and SUV.
tavera top end costs 10.93 lakhs on-road while the safari range is 8.88 to 12.43 lakhs on-road in mumbai, so where is the huge price difference? i agree about the SUV & MUV though but my comment regarding the tavera was just pun intended!

i think the safari sells in lesser numbers NOT because it is a premium SUV, but just because of the numerous issues plaguing it. the scorpio does not sell well in the taxi market except in punjab & xylo is not yet officially available to the taxi market.

anyways, i rest my case here before the MODS have to intervene for going OT.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 2nd November 2009 at 22:29.
Old 2nd November 2009, 23:13   #708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
tavera top end costs 10.93 lakhs on-road while the safari range is 8.88 to 12.43 lakhs on-road in mumbai
Safari vx 4x4 is >13L on road.

Tavera sells more in taxi/tour operator as it is 8-9 seater and perceived as no frills car. Safari sells more in personal car segment. It does not appeal tour operators as it can't seat >5 adults comfortably, hence, they can't exploit it commercially. For the same reason Innova too sells more among tour operators. 5 out of 10 Innovas I see on the road are taxis. Even, privately registered Innovas are used (illegaly) for commercial ferrying of passengers. So far, I have managed to spot only a single taxi Safari (yellow plate with GJ number on NH8).

-BJ
Old 2nd November 2009, 23:31   #709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Safari sells more in personal car segment.

-BJ
There is no way to substantiate that, unless we have a way of identifying how many of the Innova's etc were sold as Taxi's and how many as personal use vehicles.

Moreover the SUV/MUV debate has been a long one, the presence of the 4X4 hardware that promotes an MUV to SUV status, what percentage of the so-called "personal use segment" Safari's boast of it.

Safari looks great and thats reason enough for many people to prefer being seen in one.

However one of the reasons for me keeping a track of this thread is to track the progress of the new Safari (rather than the Indicruz) and whether or not it has the essential (for me) third row facing forward. The other part ofcourse, whether it's got improved confidence inspiring handling.

Last edited by 1100D : 2nd November 2009 at 23:34.
Old 3rd November 2009, 09:22   #710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
There is no way to substantiate that, unless we have a way of identifying how many of the Innova's etc were sold as Taxi's and how many as personal use vehicles
Sampling on yellow and white number plates. My dataset is traffic on NH4 in Mumbai-Pune corridor. Off-course it is not accurate but can be representative.

-BJ
Old 3rd November 2009, 09:28   #711
BHPian

Friends, more details on Tata Xover, please check this out:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1562584
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:30   #712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i expect the wheel wells to be smaller & not the wheels to be bigger, so that the tyres dont look puny. infact in the indicruz, the wheels are quite huge but the gap between the tyre & the wheel well is excessive.

Bigger wheel wells and space between tyre and wheel well allows for more articulation and is required for a Crossover / SUV and no one complains about it in Endeavor , Pajero , Safari and Scorpios so why that should be a case of complain in this case ?

Why exactly a crossover should look like a floor hugging car in this particular case ?

PS : I have no intention of participating in Safari / Scorp war already trigegred here so please use Endeavor as an example instead of these two to keep the thread clean.
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:04   #713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmanu View Post
Tata Motors Ltd (TML) will showcase the much-awaited crossover vehicle Xover at the Indian Auto Expo in New Delhi this January.
==================
Source: Times Business, Bangalore
Date: 03 Nov 2009
Thank you wmanu for putting an end to the speculations.

So the word is out the Indicruz/Xover is going to be an MUV with SUV design cues. Pricing mentioned is 6-8 lakhs which IMO is a good one but can be expected to move upto 10 lakhs with all those features mentioned.
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:04   #714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Bigger wheel wells and space between tyre and wheel well allows for more articulation and is required for a Crossover / SUV and no one complains about it in Endeavor , Pajero , Safari and Scorpios so why that should be a case of complain in this case ?

Why exactly a crossover should look like a floor hugging car in this particular case ?
IMO huge wheel wells look good in SUVs like pajero, scorpio & safari but not MUVs like indicruz. look at the innova & imagine it with huge wheel wells like the indicruz, now you get the picture?

what i meant was almost all tata vehicles (vista & manza included) have such huge wheel wells that makes it look ugly. if not for that, i am sure the indicruz will look much more prettier.
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:04   #715
Senior - BHPian

If all those features are there indeed. I'm sure it will be around 14L+ for the top end model and the low end would not be below 11L or so.. Forget about 6-8L range.
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:15   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
If all those features are there indeed. I'm sure it will be around 14L+ for the top end model and the low end would not be below 11L or so.. Forget about 6-8L range.
But it is clearly mentioned in the article that the indicruz is to be competing with Xylo, Innova and Tavera so the price range will be on par with the competition.

They might use some fiber cladding on the fenders to reduce the wheel well gap.
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:18   #717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMO huge wheel wells look good in SUVs like pajero, scorpio & safari but not MUVs like indicruz. look at the innova & imagine it with huge wheel wells like the indicruz, now you get the picture?

what i meant was almost all tata vehicles (vista & manza included) have such huge wheel wells that makes it look ugly. if not for that, i am sure the indicruz will look much more prettier.
Well they are designing a crossover and not a people mover as per the stated objective So if it is OK to have bigger wheel well in crossovers such as CR-V and costlier Q5 why not in a Tata crossover ? I would prefer functionality over form.

If they design a proper crossover then it would be first in sub 15 lakh price bracket and may sell else it would be a me too Innova at higher price point and why would someone will pay extra over what Toyota offers in tried and tested product.
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:30   #718
BHPian

I would like to repeat that pricing for crossover is between 14 to 22 lakhs. This information has been given from top to down level the trims are developed accordingly please dont expect a CRV type vehicle competing with tavera .. the equations are very clear

Sumo Victa competes with Bolero/Trax/Tavera
Sumo Grande competes with Xylo/Innova
Safari competes with Scorpio
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:35   #719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
I would like to repeat that pricing for crossover is between 14 to 22 lakhs. This information has been given from top to down level the trims are developed accordingly please dont expect a CRV type vehicle competing with tavera .. the equations are very clear

Sumo Victa competes with Bolero/Trax/Tavera
Sumo Grande competes with Xylo/Innova
Safari competes with Scorpio

so you mean to say that xover is positioned above safari and around CRV-Captiva range,thats a quite high range and wont be easy for tata to sell with other competetion.
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:46   #720
BHPian

Mods please note that this article was posted by user wmanu in AUTO EXPO 2010 - What to Expect ? thread

Quote:
Tata Motors Ltd (TML) will showcase the much-awaited crossover vehicle Xover at the Indian Auto Expo in New Delhi this January. The vehicle, expected to be priced Rs 6-8 lakh, will hit the markets in the first half of the 2010 and plug a vital gap in its portfolio.

Positioned to take on Toyota Innova, Mahindra Xylo and Chevrolet Tavera, the Xover with its three row of seats will attempt to blend the benefits of a family-friendly luxury tourer with the refined driving dynamics and visual cues of an activity-oriented sports utility vehicle.

This seven-seater vehicle will sport a new generation engine, navigation system, ABS and air bags among other enhancements.

Created with extensive design inputs from London-based Tata Motors European Technical Centre (TMETC), the concept vehicle was first showcased at the 75th Geneva Motor Show in 2005.

A decision to go ahead with the production was taken a couple of years later and the vehicle design fine-tuned. Vendors for supply of components were then tied up and prototypes readied for testing earlier this year. According to sources, extensive testing of the prototypes is currently underway in western India.

"Xover’s production variant will be ready for display at the Auto Expo in New Delhi," said Nitin Seth, head of car product group, passenger car business unit at TML.

While the vehicle will closely resemble the concept that was displayed at Geneva, the radical headlamp cluster of the concept could go for a more conventional set.

Seth, however, ruled out a production version of Prima, the concept luxury sedan designed by Pininfarina and showcased by TML at the 79th Geneva Motor Show earlier this year.

Source: Times Business, Bangalore
Date: 03 Nov 2009
Tata's Xover to be on show at Auto Expo- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Last edited by harishnair : 3rd November 2009 at 14:51.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks