Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2009, 14:47   #781
Senior - BHPian

I think its aldready been announced that the Nano is going to have an opening tailgate soon, seems the few USPs that the 800 had over the Nano is running out.
Will Tata be launching a new small car or will it be a compact van. Nothing has really been spotted testing anywhere.
Old 19th November 2009, 15:06   #782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
But, when it does come out, it is going to be a one big surprise in the segment that has less than 4 models currently and is dominated by Maruti-Suzuki.

Sid, does this add fuel to fire??? And as sid has mentioned, it would be difficult to reveal any of these cars at this stage lest I hate my job and want a royal boot.
Looking at the October 2009 sales data thread, where is MSIL dominating ?

Alto+Estilo+Wagon R+A Star vs i10/Santro - but then this segment has more than 4 models

Gypsy (what's the segment) - 168 Vs Jeeps 854+Bolero (6161)+ Commander (366) - MSIL is not dominating here for sure.

Omni+Versa (8018+0) vs Premier Sigma ?? - definitely here is a possibility

Last edited by indivic : 19th November 2009 at 15:08.
Old 19th November 2009, 15:39   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post

Alto+Estilo+Wagon R+A Star vs i10/Santro - but then this segment has more than 4 models

Gypsy (what's the segment) - 168 Vs Jeeps 854+Bolero (6161)+ Commander (366) - MSIL is not dominating here for sure.

None of it is diesel
Old 19th November 2009, 15:54   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post

Take the segment as Alto + 800 and we get something in between India & Nano.
Old 19th November 2009, 16:01   #785
Senior - BHPian

Maruti is talking about replacing the Omini (which will be killed) with a new van based on the Versa but with its new 1.2 petrol engine, which means two things, it will be more expensive and lot less fuel efficient.
So theres a killing to be made in this segment and as mentioned below a diesel would mean runaway success for Tata.

Since this is going way off topic, maybe we should open a new thread for this speculation, what say Sidindica?!!
Old 19th November 2009, 17:18   #786
xPK
BHPian

Holla!!!!

Sid, you're the king man! Hadn't checked this thread for quite a long and today it's all lively again. Cheers man!!!!

Little OT, but sometimes I really wonder what's your profession? Are you running some kind of private detective agency (because I don't see a single car eluding you)

Moving back to the topic, I see people speculating various possibilities, but I will be betting on Indicruz and Safari as,
1) Our scoopster (Master of Scoops) already said, "Title says it all".
2) If these are not the cars, Sid would have created a new thread.

But in contrary to that (1st reason), I haven't seen such a guessable clue by Sid. I sencerely hope Sid is not messing with us? Are you?
Old 21st November 2009, 00:41   #787
BHPian

@Sid you have made me go mad guessing how the protagonists of the 2nd movie looks like. Atleast tell the approximate release date/month for these movies. Don't keep us guessing like director Shankar (followers of Tamil movies will know this)

@ Harishnair I agree with you
Old 23rd November 2009, 12:37   #788

I guess, One of the things that Sid hints, maybe something related with a New Safari as I'm getting SMS on huge discounts for Safari. It is little bit high than the normal year end discounts.
Old 23rd November 2009, 12:43   #789
Senior - BHPian

Those books have been returned. Better wait for the expo. Sometimes some things are beyond my reach.

Last edited by sidindica : 23rd November 2009 at 12:45.
Old 23rd November 2009, 12:46   #790
Senior - BHPian

IMO, The Indicruz will be launched in the Innova territory, with a price range or around 6-8 lakhs. Fit and finish should be good, if Manza is anything to go by. Anyways, the suspense will be broken at the Auto Expo in Jan, if not earlier.
Old 23rd November 2009, 13:00   #791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
From what I have gathered from talks doing rounds in TATA, one of the vehicles impending a January launch at Auto Expo is Indicruz and something that has been well discussed here on this forum.

The other launch though, has been a well kept secret to date and I failed to find a single thread or scoop in this relation even on a forum like ours. Maybe, because this segment car is not the usual contender for auto-enthusiast drool. But, when it does come out, it is going to be a one big surprise in the segment that has less than 4 models currently and is dominated by Maruti-Suzuki.

Sid, does this add fuel to fire??? And as sid has mentioned, it would be difficult to reveal any of these cars at this stage lest I hate my job and want a royal boot.
To end some speculation, lets go back to one by one.

The van segment is dominated by Maruti Suzuki and it has less then 4 models in this segment-namely the omni, versa, and premier sigma.
That segment will add another competitor-the super ace-based van, currently called project pelican/ microbus and it has the front end of a tata super ace.
The pics, of course are captured by tushky in another thread and this vehicle will be powered by Vista TDi's 1405 cc 71 ps motor. It will be an 7/8 seater and will carry some vista bits and pieces from the interior, as show there.

The other vehicle, of course is the InduCruz, based on an entirely new X2 platform and will be powered by a heavily modified and refined version of 2.2 Dicor motor, and will b equipped with many high tech features, making i the most technically advanced tata vehicle yet. Prime target is the innova.

The sumo grande, mentioned elsewhere, will be upgaded to MK2, shown in the pics on that thread and will be launched by 7th or 8th December.

The Safari will be heavily facelifted and I AM NOT SURE whether that car will retain the same old chassis or ill switch to a new chassis or whether it will be displayed at the expo or not. Any further info will be updated here.
Old 23rd November 2009, 13:13   #792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The other vehicle, of course is the InduCruz, based on an entirely new X2 platform and will be powered by a heavily modified and refined version of 2.2 Dicor motor, and will b equipped with many high tech features, making i the most technically advanced tata vehicle yet. Prime target is the innova.

yes i have seen the dashboard and it is really upmarket. even better than Innova and Xylo. cant wait to see this vehicle. it looks fabulous in Alloys and black tinted glass.
Old 23rd November 2009, 13:24   #793
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

So looks like the next Gen Safari is still looking doubtful for early 2010.
Old 23rd November 2009, 13:43   #794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
So looks like the next Gen Safari is still looking doubtful for early 2010.
but there are many prospective buyers waiting to see the launch of new Safari and didnt go for current one offered.
Indicruz surely seems promising with loads of gadgets and much upmarket quality on offer.
Old 23rd November 2009, 14:02   #795
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@Vijay:

Seems to me that Tata's focus is more making the Indicruz launch a success, rather than the next gen Safari. Typically we start to see photos of test mules many months before the launch, since most of the road testing will have to be done in real-world conditions. We have seen the Indicruz being tested in all kinds of places. However, so far only on vague picture has emerged of the Safari. The body line was almost identical except for the spare wheel tucked away underneath, so I think it maybe a refresh rather than an all new platform.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed