Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2009, 15:52   #826
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

An Auto on the Indicruz and the Safari would make the game interesting.

But there has been no news of any auto on any TATA before this.

Am sure TATA too has contemplated this, but will they bite.
Old 26th November 2009, 16:05   #827
Team-BHP Support

As far as the new safari is concerned, it has to come by April 2010
Reason is Euro iV
Engine remains same, but now there is a water cooled EGR Valve for E-IV compliance.
Apart from that the spare goes under the boot, instead of the tail gate, and minor changes to grill etc.,
As far as the "All new Tata safari" I guess that may be an indicruze based safari slated for early 2011? Probaly sid will have more details!
Old 26th November 2009, 16:50   #828
Senior - BHPian

Tata's don't think auto has any real demand I reckon they would be the last to offer it say by 2013!
Old 26th November 2009, 17:12   #829
AWD
BHPian

Thanks for the insight Sid. Tata is offering 60k discount on the current Safari(period), could this translate into "stock clearance"?

If I may add to something TSK mentioned, not to miss the improvement in the problematic areas!
Old 26th November 2009, 17:13   #830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Apart from that the spare goes under the boot, instead of the tail gate
Feels good that I got mine home early in 2009. I am indoctrinated by the belief that all SUVs should have a proud spare wheel sticking out at the back, unlike, some scared bi??h coiling her tail under the rear.

-BJ
Old 26th November 2009, 17:23   #831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Feels good that I got mine home early in 2009. I am indoctrinated by the belief that all SUVs should have a proud spare wheel sticking out at the back, unlike, some scared bi??h coiling her tail under the rear.
-BJ
+1. Totally Agree with you. What's next, Tata is going to lower the SUV to almost car-like height to aid ingress / egress !

I seriously don't think TATA should meddle with the character of Safari making it like CR-V which is a 'crossover' and we all know treading the middle path is not always advisable.
Old 26th November 2009, 20:04   #832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post

-BJ
+1 to that. Apart from the looks I hate to even dream of removing the spare wheel from under the body for the fear of dirt/slush splashed all over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post

The safari will also be SIGNIFICANTLY upgraded, thats what I am promised.
Sid, thanks for the update. And will this Safari be out by April 2010?

So, this most certainly means that the new platform for Safari is not due till 2012 as Tatas would like to give atleast a 2 year life for this upgrade. If I remember right, they have not upgraded any of the Safari version before 2 years.
Old 26th November 2009, 20:06   #833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsk View Post
they have not upgraded any of the Safari version before 2 years.
i think they have to make it compliant with Euro IV too before April 2010.

so they can hit two birds with a stone.
Old 26th November 2009, 20:21   #834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
As far as the new safari is concerned, it has to come by April 2010
Reason is Euro iV
Engine remains same, but now there is a water cooled EGR Valve for E-IV compliance.
Apart from that the spare goes under the boot, instead of the tail gate, and minor changes to grill etc.,
As far as the "All new Tata safari" I guess that may be an indicruze based safari slated for early 2011? Probaly sid will have more details!
Slight power hike I presume; cooled EGR helps.

I just want a new EGR, mine has the 70mm one which makes the krr krr!
Old 27th November 2009, 10:34   #835
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

A spare wheel mounted next to the fuel tank at the rear may appear sissy, but then it has it's practical benifits:

1) One does not soil ones clothes in mounting / unmounting the wheel onto the rear door. SUV tyres are heavy and this type of mounting takes higher levels of physical exertion.

2) The front to rear pitching of the vehicle will be reduced to a heavy object mounted at the rear being removed and placed closer to the centre of gravity.

3) The Rear door would be easlier to open, plus it can be made of lighter materials as it no longer needs to carry a rear mounted spare wheel, plus will hopefully not rattle any more.

The only negative is looks but then the fortuner rear seems to be liked by most and no one's complaining about it. Though I too like the rear door mounted wheel look, it requires an even further reinforced door and better design like in the endy, pajero etc.
Old 27th November 2009, 12:10   #836
BHPian

Though the idea of the spare wheel at side is not sissy, and do has its own benefit, its impractical for modern age since we are not in 50's.
just think what happens to the rear view mirror's in our traffic conditions which are so closely attached to the vehicle, not only we will increase the tyre sales but the rear quarter panel will have to be designed like the front removable fender.
BTY, Safari is the product which even after years n years still manages to put a grin on our faces, lets hope the same trend continuos with the upcoming models.
Tata should also try not to compromise on quality for the sake of VFM, instead they shud offer varients for those who need lesser specd buy, but at the same time should'nt compromise basic safety features like tubeless tyres, tyre size, rear wash n wipe, fr & rr foglamp etc,etc,
what say ??
Old 27th November 2009, 14:53   #837
BHPian

Indicruz - Cliffrider?

Pics are from Concorde showroom, Mysore road. The Indicruz could well be called the 'Cliffrider'. See second pic

Spied 2010 Tata Safari / Indicruz EDIT : Caught testing in India! Pics on Pg. 20-picture-185.jpg

Spied 2010 Tata Safari / Indicruz EDIT : Caught testing in India! Pics on Pg. 20-picture-186.jpg

Sorry about the quality.
Old 27th November 2009, 15:26   #838
BHPian

The Cliffrider was a concept that followed Xover.
Old 27th November 2009, 16:31   #839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashw_r View Post
Pics are from Concorde showroom, Mysore road. The Indicruz could well be called the 'Cliffrider'. See second pic

Attachment 235058

Attachment 235059

Sorry about the quality.
the indicruz is in BLUE. check the 1st pic.
Old 27th November 2009, 17:08   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
i think they have to make it compliant with Euro IV too before April 2010.

so they can hit two birds with a stone.
Euro IV compliance will be achieved by the upgrade which Sid had mentioned in his post. I along with many prospective Safari buyers were expecting a new platform for the Safari next year which does not look to be happening. So, if they do the upgrade in 2010, then I think the new platform will not be launched before 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
A spare wheel mounted next to the fuel tank at the rear may appear sissy, but then it has it's practical benifits:

The only negative is looks ....
Well, I agree with the positives you have mentioned. But, looks is not the only casualty of the spare wheel going down. As mentioned in my previous post, just imagine what you can find on your spare wheel during rains or after you travel through "kachcha" roads.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed