Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2008, 18:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Spied 2010 Tata Safari / Indicruz EDIT : Caught testing in India! Pics on Pg. 20

Tata Safari Spy Photos

One of the world’s biggest conglomerates, and certainly India’s largest, Tata, has in its motor division a mouse out on the prowl. Tata Motor has highly ambitious plans that may include taking over the world, starting with Land Rover and Jaguar.

But first they have to make this new spied SUV work for them. The Tata Safari, famous for being India’s very first locally designed, developed and manufactured SUV, has evolved to its next incarnation as these spy shots reveal. Snapped while taking a leisurely drive in northern Sweden, it seems Tata is taking its vehicle testing quite seriously.

Available in both 4x2 and 4x4, the Safari was launched in 1998 and restyled in 2005. Originally it featured a 1.9-litre turbo-diesel engine. For such a hefty customer, it would seem the Safari was underwhelmed by this powerplant, hence the introduction of a more vigorous 3.0-litre turbo diesel. A 2.0-litre diesel was also made available for 2005 model year.

Safaris currently range from about USD 16,350 to USD 28,480 in the Indian market. By contrast, a baseline Mistubishi Pajero will set you back around USD 47,025.
Old 29th January 2008, 18:54   #2
Team-BHP Support

Based on this I presume?
Old 29th January 2008, 18:54   #3
Team-BHP Support

Everything is fine where did you get this "2010" bit? The site mentions this nowhere, as far as I saw.
Old 29th January 2008, 19:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Based on this I presume?
Lets hope not considering the fact that this is a xover and not a proper SUV. I see design cues from the new Indica.

Tata tests its cars in Sweden?
Old 29th January 2008, 19:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

And how are we so sure that this is the new safari?

The profile looks more of a soft roader than a SUV.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 29th January 2008 at 19:06.
Old 29th January 2008, 19:07   #6
Team-BHP Support

since when does tata test there cars in sweden? and i think 'if' this is the new safari it would be here before 2010.
Old 29th January 2008, 19:08   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Tata tests its cars in Sweden?
I was going to say pretty much anywhere, so what? But then it stuck me that indeed it tests too many of them in Sweden. Earlier I saw some pics of New Indica also being tested in Sweden as also the previous Safari. So yes, Sweden looks like a regular testing location for them. There are probably two major advantages in this.
  1. Globally Tata is not very well known as yet (although that looks set to change now). So that gives there vehicles a lot of anonimity and safety from the prying eyes.
  2. Sweden is probably a good place to test for expected, extreme cold conditions.
Old 29th January 2008, 19:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

I think more than that one of Tata's suppliers must be based in Sweden and is developing or checking a part for the car.
Old 29th January 2008, 19:14   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sweden is probably a good place to test for expected, extreme cold conditions.
Ahhh... That explains those funny clothes the car was wearing.

Old 29th January 2008, 19:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

ABS and ESP testing is usually done in Sweden...in addition to other cold tests.
Old 29th January 2008, 19:25   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
I think more than that one of Tata's suppliers must be based in Sweden and is developing or checking a part for the car.
Supplier in sweden? I do not think so. When the whole world is rushing east to establish low cost vendor base I do not think Tatas would go looking for a vendor in Sweden.

Moreover, if you saw closely there were some more pics in the series. One of them shows two Safaris running one behind the other. To test a single part I do not think Tatas will ship two cars there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Ahhh... That explains those funny clothes the car was wearing.

Heinnn heinnnn... very funnny
Old 29th January 2008, 19:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Supplier in sweden? I do not think so. When the whole world is rushing east to establish low cost vendor base I do not think Tatas would go looking for a vendor in Sweden.

Heinnn heinnnn... very funnny
I believe Bosch and some other companies have their testing and development centre somewhere there. Theres a particular town somwehere in Europe where a bunch of cars are tested . I remember seeing it on a Fifth Gear episode. I knew about these centres just didnt know Tata went through all this trouble.

Why else would they take their car all the way to Sweden. Cold weather tests can be done closer to home too right?
Old 29th January 2008, 19:39   #13
BHPian

Still wondering where did the "2010" come from ???
Old 29th January 2008, 19:42   #14
BANNED

The tyres look too small for a SUV. Or is it just me?

And the tyres look unmarked - or is it because the markings on the tyres too are wiped off, or because of the low res. pic?
Old 29th January 2008, 19:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why else would they take their car all the way to Sweden. Cold weather tests can be done closer to home too right?
More then cold weather testing, they should do hot summer tests.

Ho can one conclude that its a Safari, if you closely notice, the wheels are 15" and the current Safari is on 16", there are no foglights integrated into the bumper and the body is monoque unlike the chassis on ladder frame in the current Safari. Looks Innova types.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed