Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2008, 07:46   #46
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Steeroid;705110]My thoughts exactly. This cannot be a Safari replacement.

yes, if you see the tail lamps, the shape is exactly like a Xover Crossover concept. even the side profile. from side see the 3 rd window after a c pillar.. same as xover concept. even the bonet and grille..everything looks like Xover. i think this is the New Crossover from tata.
Old 30th January 2008, 08:22   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Cant make out anywhere that it is a Tata. And if it is, then it being a Safari, replacement. Is it a red herring that we are discussing ?
Old 30th January 2008, 10:00   #48
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
My thoughts exactly. This cannot be a Safari replacement.
from the looks of it the Sumo Grande will become the SUV Platform and the Safari will move towards being more of a Cross Over.
Old 30th January 2008, 11:15   #49
Senior - BHPian

we are comenting on something which none of us are sure about,maybe this should have been in the guess the car thread.
Old 30th January 2008, 11:51   #50
BHPian

I doubt this to be the Safari replacement. Could be a new vehicle to take on the Innova
Old 30th January 2008, 11:53   #51
Senior - BHPian

Safari is known for its masculine macho design, and I hope that remains same with the New Platform as well.
This vehicle looks like a capable competitor for the Inova though.
Old 30th January 2008, 12:01   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Still wondering where did the "2010" come from ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
The new platform is monoque.
The X2(or is it X3) will be more innovish, and the time frame is 2009, but I guess due to the 1 lakh car this may be delayed to 2010.
Apparently, tata will save a lot on safari production costs if they go with X2, the reason being 500kg less metal.
Considering high tensile steel is expensive, this means a cheaper safari, or same priced safari with higher margins

Not sure if this is the new safari but I did enquire about the X2 safari from a friend who is in Tata Motors and was told the following:

1. The new X2 platform Safari is scheduled for release in 2010 but based on current development status would likely spill over to 2011.

2. It will be a monocoque

3. It will likely be priced a little higher that the current Safari

Not sure if that means it will coexist with the current Safari as Tata Morors are doing with the Indica and the Indica X1.

Last edited by Zappo : 4th February 2008 at 14:57. Reason: Botched 'Quote' rectified. Use the Multi-quote button rather than typing by hand.
Old 30th January 2008, 12:01   #53
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
we are comenting on something which none of us are sure about,maybe this should have been in the guess the car thread.
It is a TATA alright (The steering in one of the PIC's is a give away), but if this is going to replace the Safari ?. Some of the option would be ABS+EBD and TCS, AWD might see the light of the day but probably later down the line not @ launch.The engine options would include a V6...

Last edited by SUV : 30th January 2008 at 12:04.
Old 30th January 2008, 12:04   #54
Senior - BHPian

Look at the front pictures and in the area of the grill, you can faintly see a TATA logo, as is on the current safari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Old 30th January 2008, 13:06   #55
Senior - BHPian

I think its amazing that Tata is managing to come out with so many cars at the same time. The Nano, the new Indica, Indigo CS, the new Safari, the new Sumo, the new range of Tata trucks. Its like they're revamping their entire product portfolio all at once. Looks like Tata Motors wants to do a makeover and how.

Can you'll recall any other auto manufacturer who changed so many models all at once??? Even Maruti only manages 2-3 launches a year at best.
Really looks like loads of excitement coming from Tata in the coming years....
Old 30th January 2008, 14:15   #56
Senior - BHPian

Well i dont think they would replace the current safri with this. It will be tranforming the beast into a sheep. Must be one of their MUVs as they dont have a vehicle in that range other than the Sumo
Old 30th January 2008, 14:21   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Well i dont think they would replace the current safri with this. It will be tranforming the beast into a sheep. Must be one of their MUVs as they dont have a vehicle in that range other than the Sumo
I dont think it would be another MUV since they have just launched the Sumo Grande. Seems illogical to launch another vehicle that could cannibalise the sales of the Grande so soon. More likely to be a softroader by the looks of it IMO.
Old 30th January 2008, 14:23   #58
Senior - BHPian

eeekkkssssssssssssssssss!!!!
The 'INDIAN OFF-ROADER' is dead.
Old 30th January 2008, 14:30   #59
BHPian

Coming to think of it... Could this be the next Tata Sumo.. The Tata Sumo Micro...
Old 30th January 2008, 15:50   #60
Senior - BHPian

I think the Innova/Frotuner theory sounds just about right. Those wheels are the steel/hubcap combo the Safari came with between 1998 & Dicor you cannot mistake them for anything else....as some else stated so are those mirors..the dash seems/spedo pod seems built around the instrument cluster of the new sumo grand...common parts...I wouldn't be surpiresed if this car truns out to be the next Safari, going by global trends most offroaders are going in cab forward direction...I saw the latest Toyota Landcuriser (on temp licence) in Mumbai it almost looks as if the A pillar & windscreen is falling onto the hood...you need to see it person to understand what I am saying what saves the day is that it does not have the A pillar quarter windows I see in the spy pics...so again it smells like Fortuner/innova concept....would be not such a bad thing...I owned a safari from 98 to 2003..loved it to death...chased Dr. Sumantran to make changes, my car was like a test mule for Tata (got all upgrades) and then switched to innova which I did not like at first but now she has grown on me manily due to the driving pleasure & ease of using it?practical.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks