Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2010, 00:02   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
OT:

IMO, i dont think Diesel i20 is not value for Money. 6.8L ex showroom (bangalore) for a disel i20 is too high!

People,

Kindly advice average monthly sales of i20 diesel!
I mean the price is not at all a bad one for one of the best looking, frugal, comfortable and safest hatch in India right now.
Old 12th January 2010, 00:41   #167
BHPian

Guys... I am not sure if anyone has noticed or not... the Highline var of Polo does not even has stearing mounted controls, which are there even in Swift ZXI.... did the German major failed to do a pre-launch research?
Old 12th January 2010, 00:43   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
The problem is that the brand doesn't stand for quality in most markets including America. The Japs have usurped that mantle decades ago.

The only place where VW has a reputation for quality is in UK/Europe, where that quality comes at a price and there too they are increasingly under pressure from Korean and Jap brands.

VW could have built a reputation for quality if it sold a fully loaded Polo or perhaps a Golf in India, however their offering especially the engines are extremely underwhelming and no amount of solid build or other qualities is going to compensate for lack of parity in features.
True, VW has quality problems and had most repairs in a calender year compared to other car manufacturers in US in the past, Lexus being the least. I understand most Germans cars cannot beat Japs in terms of maintenance and long term reliability/resales but VW is neither placed in the luxury segment nor can compete with Japs as such. I dont know much about VW stand in India in terms of maintenance and resale value. The features like ACC, bluetooth, AUX in, audio controls on steering should have been available as an option to compete in the current market. Lets see how it does initially on Indian roads.
Old 12th January 2010, 11:51   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Guys... I am not sure if anyone has noticed or not... the Highline var of Polo does not even has stearing mounted controls, which are there even in Swift ZXI.... did the German major failed to do a pre-launch research?
Maybe if you take the trouble to go through all the Polo threads, merged and otherwise, you might see what was noticed and what was not!!
It has been noticed and that's one of the reasons why some of us are disappointed to say the least!

Old 12th January 2010, 12:28   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Engine:
  • cylinders: 3 inline
  • Air filter in wheel housing
  • chain driven camshaft
3 cyl + camshaft chain !! Won't it make noisy and bum shaking?

What is "air filter in wheel housing" ?

-BJ
Old 12th January 2010, 12:34   #171
BHPian

Was at the Auto expo and spoke to a couple of marketing people in VW and they both confirmed that 1.2P&D will be launched in Feb and deliveries start from March. Then the 1.6 will be launched around June. This is official VW confirmation guys
Old 12th January 2010, 12:59   #172
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

in urban india which is fast becoming poseur heaven, the VW Polo will probably do what numbers it does only because of its badge value.

else its buyers will be those few "higher end hatch customers" suffering from elephantiasis of the bank-roll who will buy it for its build quality and solidity - as a second or third car - something like what happened in the case of the Fabia.

regular people/ hatch buyers, who want a feature loaded value proposition and maximum bang for the buck, will continue to flock in droves to the nearest Hyundai and Suzuki showrooms - with an honourable mention here for Chevy, Tata and Fiat too.

Its about time some of these manufacturers learnt that the Indian consumer wants more for less (in terms of value proposition) and wants it as fast as possible too!
Old 13th January 2010, 17:22   #173
BHPian

VW's Polo to come with customised features
Press Trust of India / New Delhi*January 11, 2010, 19:57 IST

German auto major Volkswagen today said it will offer package options to customers of its soon-to-be launched small car Polo, which will include features like accessories, safety and sports, and entertainment systems.

"We will be offering cosmetics like safety features, entertainment systems and sports packages in our Polo cars. These features will be available at the dealers end during bookings," Volkswagen Chief General Manager (Marketing and PR) Lutz Kothe told reporters at the 10th Auto Expo.

He said the additional features will come in addition to the standard ones, which are factory-fitted in the car.

Maybe, just maybe, VW might leave some wiggle room open to redeem themselves.
Of course, we shall find out when this launches, because I cannot think what safety features are dealer fitted.
Old 13th January 2010, 17:45   #174
BHPian

Isn't it a irony..when Punto was launched in 1.2 there was a hue and cry over it being underpowered.

Polo is launched with 1.2 and everyones going gagaga over it..

Interiors of Punto seems to be far much better than current Polo..looks are subjective, its my opinion.
Old 13th January 2010, 18:16   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickxx2006 View Post
Isn't it a irony..when Punto was launched in 1.2 there was a hue and cry over it being underpowered.

Polo is launched with 1.2 and everyones going gagaga over it..

Interiors of Punto seems to be far much better than current Polo..looks are subjective, its my opinion.
This is something which has always baffled me. We Indians are royally taken for a ride because of our uncanny attitude to COMPROMISE.
We are all ready to compromise on interior & boot space, 10 year old technology engines when it comes to Maruti, but dont even blink an eyelid when the same is done by any other manufacturer. Sad... very sad...
Old 13th January 2010, 18:27   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
This is something which has always baffled me. We Indians are royally taken for a ride because of our uncanny attitude to COMPROMISE.
We are all ready to compromise on interior & boot space, 10 year old technology engines when it comes to Maruti, but dont even blink an eyelid when the same is done by any other manufacturer. Sad... very sad...
Agree. But now time is changing and so does the equation. I20 is feature loaded car and is priced high as well but it is doing good numbers. There are buyers for new technology and features. There is just one thing that matter to indian or to people - brand value. If your brand is trusted then chances of success is very high and vice versa.

I think VW and GM both are trying hard to create that brand value. I think too some extent both are successful in that. VW Polo is most eagerly waiting small car from past 2 years. Fiat Punto was good but the brand Fiat let it down. Had it be Hyundai Punto it must be firing on the charts.
Old 13th January 2010, 18:29   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
"We will be offering cosmetics like safety features
So, safety features are cosmetic, now, are they?

Bad, VW... Very bad!
Old 13th January 2010, 18:39   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Disagree to your statement at least in one department - Engine technology. Maruti has introduced its latest engines on most of it cars which are more FE & drivable than most of the other cars in its segment.
Old 13th January 2010, 21:27   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
VW's Polo to come with customised features
Press Trust of India / New Delhi*January 11, 2010, 19:57 IST

German auto major Volkswagen today said it will offer package options to customers of its soon-to-be launched small car Polo, which will include features like accessories, safety and sports, and entertainment systems.

"We will be offering cosmetics like safety features, entertainment systems and sports packages in our Polo cars. These features will be available at the dealers end during bookings," Volkswagen Chief General Manager (Marketing and PR) Lutz Kothe told reporters at the 10th Auto Expo.

He said the additional features will come in addition to the standard ones, which are factory-fitted in the car.

Maybe, just maybe, VW might leave some wiggle room open to redeem themselves.
Of course, we shall find out when this launches, because I cannot think what safety features are dealer fitted.
Nice to see this flexibility from VW. From looking at the features comparison, there's very little difference between the Trendline and Comfortline models, and whatever differences there are are quite trivial.

Here is a list of the only improvements of the Comfortline over the Trendline: height adjustable driver's seat, power windows for the rear doors, body coloured door handles, split folding rear seat, parcel tray.

In the meantime, the Highline is very sparsely kitted out for a top end VW model. For example, the Jetta Comfortline has features such as climatronic A/C (essentially ACC), electrically adjustable, heated door mirrors and side airbags that are sorely needed on the Polo Highline.

In my opinion, VW should rename what they currently call the Polo Highline as the Polo Comfortline, and then have a proper Polo Highline with stuff like the electric mirrors, climatronic A/C and multifunction steering wheel.

And correct one more mistake... the Polo 1.6 needs rear disc brakes.

If the top-end Polo is properly equipped and priced at about 8L~9L, buyers who want high quality over a boot will pick the 1.6 Polo Highline over a ANHC/Linea/SX4.

Finally, to differentiate the Polo 1.6 from the 1.2 models, VW needs to throw in some subtle exterior differences (remember now the OHC VTEC had the double tailpipe and the disc-type alloys). May I suggest reverting to some of the design features of the European Polo: the LED indicators on the door mirrors (which should be made electrically adjustable/retractable), smoked headlamps, and a single slat in the grille instead of two slats.

Last edited by theEnd : 13th January 2010 at 21:33.
Old 14th January 2010, 17:48   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
So, safety features are cosmetic, now, are they?

Bad, VW... Very bad!
i have the same feeling here. but i think they must have added some options like the sunroof. climatronic FATC, and side and curtain airbags! lets see how it goes. if there is flexibility in the options packs as its done in other countries then i think its fantastic!

the best bet for punto buyers would be the 1.2ltr 75 bhp diesel engine! thats the one worth having a look at. rest of the engines are just about ok! that 1.6 petrol is also old one from the jetta!

Last edited by Caramelo : 14th January 2010 at 17:51.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks