Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2010, 23:17   #286
BHPian

@ screwdriva, when you visited the VW dealer, did you enquire about the expected prices?? Will they be in swift teritorry or go all the way up to Jazz??
Old 6th February 2010, 00:25   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
... Am I being naive in expecting a better car from the same parent company?
Anywhere else in the world, no... there is a lot the same between equivalent VW and Skoda models (or was when I looked some years back), but the VW is ahead on comfort.
Old 7th February 2010, 15:47   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Anywhere else in the world, no... there is a lot the same between equivalent VW and Skoda models (or was when I looked some years back), but the VW is ahead on comfort.
What screwdriva meant was not how good or bad the cars are in comparison but how reliable the VW is as opposed to the pathetic track record of SKODA in INDIA.

I have serious doubts of whether VW will be able to distance itself from the "comedy circus" that is SKODA in India.

The number of threads against SKODA seems to be increasing and not decreasing. More and more evidence seems to be piling up of not only unscrupulous dealers but also of involvement of higher officials from SKODA and EVEN VW being in the know of what is happening and doing the "3 monkeys" act.

One of the members has even posted a email which was wrongly sent to him in which a Chez skoda employee reassures an indian Dept head that knowledge of a particular customers faulty car has not reached the chairman.This shows complicity of SKODA employees in what is going on and by inference will lead one to beleive that VW officials are also aware of what is happening and choose to be silent spectators. What assurance does a prospective VW buyer have that the same kind of unethical "core philosophy" will not exist in the VW camp.

In my opinion, if VW wants the POLO and their venture to be a success in INDIA, they should do a press meet announcing the whole of their power structure, from the dealers upto the chairman and stress that it will be totally independent of SKODA and express their genuine intent to take care of the customers who buy a VW.

There is talk among discontent SKODA owners of doing something extreme like take out a protest rally against skoda. And if that happens at this point of time it will definitely adversely affect VW's plans.

Last edited by -NUT-case : 7th February 2010 at 15:48.
Old 7th February 2010, 17:30   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree... and I think that a lot of potential Polo buyers, even though they may be itching to get hold of the car, will play "Wait and See". Even if it was premium-brand Audi launching a small car here, the VAG reputation has been badly damaged by Skoda.

However, what can VW say? Competition is competition, by Skoda are still their stable-mate.
Old 8th February 2010, 00:24   #290
BHPian

Not me. I'm ready to put my $ down.

Inside dealer gossip is that the car will range from 5.5 Lacs for the base Petrol to 7.5 Lacs for the top of the line diesel.

Ride comparable to the Fabia but with handling comparable better than the Swift. Interior quality better than both.

Multifunction odometer display on all variants.
Old 8th February 2010, 01:21   #291
Senior - BHPian

@Screwdriva

Good for VW that you are willing to put your $ down. If you have the pricing spot on, then the top of the line Punto is better any day (if you wait till the end of second quarter of this year, you'll be able to buy the VGT Punto for about the same price as the Polo!). Read the tbhp Punto owner's feedback about the type of service they are getting, it'll actually quite praiseworthy.
Old 8th February 2010, 09:43   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Inside dealer gossip is that the car will range from 5.5 Lacs for the base Petrol to 7.5 Lacs for the top of the line diesel.
Lets hope the top end diesel doesnt breach 7.5 lacs for top end diesel, since the Polo aint loaded like a i20 Crdi.

Quote:
Interior quality better than both.
From the pics atleast build quality is decent. But i still think Fabia would beat it in the interior quality. But i shall reserve further comments till i see the car in person.
Old 8th February 2010, 11:13   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -NUT-case View Post
There is talk among discontent SKODA owners of doing something extreme like take out a protest rally against skoda. And if that happens at this point of time it will definitely adversely affect VW's plans.
I remember some one in China got fed up with the frequent problems with his BMW and to show his frustration he tied the car to two bulls and made them to pull the car on a highway. It seems BMW acted swiftly after that.
Old 8th February 2010, 13:48   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
@Screwdriva

If you have the pricing spot on, then the top of the line Punto is better any day (if you wait till the end of second quarter of this year, you'll be able to buy the VGT Punto for about the same price as the Polo!). Read the tbhp Punto owner's feedback about the type of service they are getting, it'll actually quite praiseworthy.

I've been fortunate enough to be regularly appraised of Tata FIAT's India operations for a while now. I've known about the VGT iteration of the Punto for 6 months now. I'm impressed that the wheels and roof made it onto the showcar and hope that they'll remain on the showroom car as well.

But I'm conident that the Polo will run circles around its competition in the build quality and materials used. I've owned VWs and know their emphasis on the "German look n feel" factor compared to segment competition. I was weary about the cost cutting on suspension and powertrain and am glad that hasn't happened either. Their cost cutting focus has been mainly on aethetics and gizmos (like remote on steering, climate control, etc.) which I can live without.

In my estimation the Punto will be the closest rival to the Polo, yes. It may even have more features when compared, yes. But the look n feel factor in a VW is hard to beat, and this is where my priority lies.
Old 8th February 2010, 13:59   #295
BHPian

@ Screwdriva
What about the i20? Is it going to lose the game compaired to Polo & Punto,, after all it belongs to the same segment & has the looks & potential, If it was priced a bit lower would have been a steal. By the way, is the Polo build quality even better than the "i" ? Things will clear out when the car will be seen in person.
Old 8th February 2010, 14:34   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've been fortunate enough to be regularly appraised of Tata FIAT's India operations for a while now. I've known about the VGT iteration of the Punto for 6 months now. I'm impressed that the wheels and roof made it onto the showcar and hope that they'll remain on the showroom car as well.

But I'm conident that the Polo will run circles around its competition in the build quality and materials used. I've owned VWs and know their emphasis on the "German look n feel" factor compared to segment competition. I was weary about the cost cutting on suspension and powertrain and am glad that hasn't happened either. Their cost cutting focus has been mainly on aethetics and gizmos (like remote on steering, climate control, etc.) which I can live without.

In my estimation the Punto will be the closest rival to the Polo, yes. It may even have more features when compared, yes. But the look n feel factor in a VW is hard to beat, and this is where my priority lies.
That's a very nice and objective way of putting things; VW have traditionally been at the pinnacle of interior quality, when they took over Skoda, they literally changed it's perception from being a joke of a car manufacturer (remember this was true till the Felicia was in the market) to one really VFM and good quality manufacturer.

However, do think about the after sales support, Skoda too initially was fine but has now gone to the dogs. With the same parent company, this should be a concern. That was one of the primary reasons I mentioned the Punto, the only thing it loses out a bit on is the interior plastic quality (I think the seats and the seat fabric are very high quality on the Punto).

Anyway, you are the best judge about the car you want to own.
Old 8th February 2010, 20:24   #297
BHPian

Bookings Started?

Guys I'm just curious to know if the bookings/delivery for Polo has started?
I just saw a Polo with temp MH 14 regn parked in near by society
Old 8th February 2010, 21:43   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush78 View Post
@ Screwdriva
What about the i20? Is it going to lose the game compaired to Polo & Punto,, after all it belongs to the same segment & has the looks & potential, If it was priced a bit lower would have been a steal. By the way, is the Polo build quality even better than the "i" ? Things will clear out when the car will be seen in person.

I, personally, don't think the I20 is a bad car. But it is a bland car. Nothing about it excites me. If top Hyundai execs were reading this, they pop some bubbly when they realize that their car's build quality is being compared to a VW

Hyundai hasn't earned my respect yet, in India. Sure the I20 gives you alot of bang for the buck but it just isn't enough for me. Doesn't help that I've seen & helped more standed motorists who own Hyundais either.

But why buy an "ok" car when you can get a "wow" car?
Old 9th February 2010, 02:51   #299
BHPian

Quote:

Hyundai hasn't earned my respect yet, in India. Sure the I20 gives you alot of bang for the buck but it just isn't enough for me. Doesn't help that I've seen & helped more standed motorists who own Hyundais either.

But why buy an "ok" car when you can get a "wow" car?
I think HYUNDAI is the NO 1 foreign (i might be wrong but not by much) car manufacturer selling the highest number of cars in INDIA. There has to be something right that they are doing. If that doesn't earn your respect , i don't know which company will.

That aside it is indeed nice to get a "WOW!" car rather than an "OK"car. But at the end of the day when your warranty runs out and you get your first service bill you would rather see it and say "ok" hmm and not say "WOW" and faint.

Don't get me wrong here, i am as interested in the POLO as you are (more specifically the Sedan version which is going to come) but it all depends on the A$$ and how the company is going to treat its customers.

It doesn't matter how good a car is. The feel good factor and the "wow" factor will last maybe 6 months. But what really matters in the long run is the knowledge that you have invested your hard earned money and trust in a company that can be relied on to take care of you and your car if the need arises. The worst feeling after buying a product is regretting your decision afterwards.
Old 9th February 2010, 11:45   #300
BHPian

Quote:
I'm conident that the Polo will run circles around its competition in the build quality and materials used. I've owned VWs and know their emphasis on the "German look n feel" factor compared to segment competition. I was weary about the cost cutting on suspension and powertrain and am glad that hasn't happened either. Their cost cutting focus has been mainly on aethetics and gizmos (like remote on steering, climate control, etc.) which I can live without.

That's a very good analysis. I too hope that the underlying quality of the car has not been affected by the cost cutting process. However I'm a little bit more sceptical than you are.

If VW is willing to do away with clearly visible features (climate control, electrically controlled mirrors with LED indicators, detailed headlight and tail-lights etc etc), then I think they've also done away with some features that are not clearly visible to us. For example, instead of rear disc brakes we will get drum brakes in the Indian Polo. They might be using thinner sheet metal than the European Polo. Or less damping. Or simpler crumple zones. Or cheaper suspension components. Or...

And the powertrain has indeed been compromised. We're getting 3-cylinder engines here with a 5-speed manual gearbox. No TSI. No 6-speed gearbox. No 7-speed DSG.

In my opinion, without the TSI and DSG, this car is just a Fabia with a different body-style. The Indian VW Polo is a far cry from the VW Polo that has won rave reviews (and lots of awards) all across Europe.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks