Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2009, 19:43   #61
Senior - BHPian

What crap! A 3 cyl 69bhp engine in a 6 lac car? Someone at VW was probably smoking something real exotic.
Old 29th December 2009, 19:51   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
What crap! A 3 cyl 69bhp engine in a 6 lac car? Someone at VW was probably smoking something real exotic.
Smoke might be sponsored by Skoda India
Old 29th December 2009, 19:53   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Smoke might be sponsored by Skoda India
Is it not the smoke at Skoda India is sponsored by VW as it owns it
Old 29th December 2009, 20:23   #64
BANNED

lets not get exited here. ex showroom means in bombay you have to add upto 75k extra or around that much for taxes. and to top it all VW has only one showroom in bombay itself. car might be good but numbers will be close to lesser than fabia surely.
Old 29th December 2009, 20:49   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthym View Post
Came across this review of the 1.2 SE Polo in Autocar UK.
Volkswagen Polo 1.2 SE - Autocar.co.uk

They haven't complained too much about the engine - citing a gruff note at higher speeds. In fact with average fuel consumption figures of 17 kpl they do acknowledge an efficient engine.
IMO we should wait for a TD before we start bashing the little car. The car seems to be intelligently packaged. I was never a fan of chrome bells and whistles and body coloured door handles / mirrors that car companies seem to trumpet about these days. And music systems are best left for people to decide on depending on their preference and passion for music. ABS, EBD, aibags, alloys make a lot of sense to me.
I think Volkswagen have shown a remarkable presence of mind with the packaging of this car.
I agree with what you have said. Its quite intelligently packaged. VWs are supposed to be well built and safe cars and fact that they have made Airbags, EBD and ABS standard shows that they are serious about safety and they want to maintain their safety standards even in the price conscious hatchback segment. I also dont care about chromes, body coloured handles, etc.

A barebone car with all safety features and great engine is what all I want. But engine here is ordinary stuff, but the reviewers in the link you have posted have not written the engine off. They are quite ok with it, which in Indian scenario can turn out to be a good and adequate engine for the masses.
Old 29th December 2009, 20:50   #66
BHPian

Simplicity itself

The VW strategy on the Polo is simplicity itself.

Present an entry level car, at an attractive price point with features ( safety features in this case) which the competition doesn't offer. Get the initial interest and then start introducing higher end variants, maybe each quarter, to keep the buzz going.

Also, people will have their own reasons to either praise it or bad mouth it. VW should not bother unduly if they have done their homework right.

The criticism is focussed on the engine with low performance expected - only a proper TD will reveal the truth.

I imagine four cylinder oil burners with performance adequate for a hatch to be introduced pretty soon- that might set the cat among the pigeons.

The VW management is different from the Skoda management; I don't think there is much love lost between the budget brand ( Skoda) and the mainstream brand ( VW). So the talk of bad VW a.s.s is I think, a wee bit premature.

In an aside, Toyota has had a major car recall in the US; does it imply that Toyota has reached the pits?

Regards
Old 29th December 2009, 21:32   #67
BHPian

A 5L hatch with Independent Rear Suspension? :O
Old 29th December 2009, 22:13   #68
Senior - BHPian

Is the same 'so called' HTP 1.2 petrol engine offered in the Fabia. (high torque petrol) Someone do the honors please?

This then is essentially a Fabia 1.2 HTP in new clothes.
Old 29th December 2009, 22:15   #69
Senior - BHPian

The specs look great though they should reconsider the engine in higher variants. Also, in the interiors, ACC would be an icing on the cake at that price
Old 29th December 2009, 22:16   #70
Senior - BHPian

What a mixed offering!
Give standard ABS and Airbags, add IRS. Very good points unlike features like electric this or that.
Negative point are :
Suspect cost of spares and maintenance cost.
Engine as of now.
Dealership not really widespread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post

1) The VW strategy on the Polo is simplicity itself.

2) Present an entry level car, at an attractive price point with features ( safety features in this case) which the competition doesn't offer. Get the initial interest and then start introducing higher end variants, maybe each quarter, to keep the buzz going.

3) Also, people will have their own reasons to either praise it or bad mouth it. VW should not bother unduly if they have done their homework right.

4) The criticism is focussed on the engine with low performance expected - only a proper TD will reveal the truth.

5) I imagine four cylinder oil burners with performance adequate for a hatch to be introduced pretty soon- that might set the cat among the pigeons.

6) The VW management is different from the Skoda management; I don't think there is much love lost between the budget brand ( Skoda) and the mainstream brand ( VW). So the talk of bad VW a.s.s is I think, a wee bit premature.

7) In an aside, Toyota has had a major car recall in the US; does it imply that Toyota has reached the pits?
1) Is the car simple or just the marketing ? And does this mean that maintenance will be as low as Original Zen or some other low maintenance car ?

2) And then for each new engine variant price the car higher. Eventually OTR cost will cost Rs. 7 lakh with a mediocre engine IMO. Nice stratety but the car will reach Fabia level of pricing.

3) Has VW really done homework ? If it were not the badge, they would receive punishment.

4) Agreed that proper TD is required, but numbers do indicate that it wont be as good as Ritz's or Jazz's unit. And the car wont be performing that enthusiastically.

5) Again pricing ? And here there is stiff competition from many cars. VW will again not be so exceptional they are trying to prove.

6) Yes, VW A.S & S. is not bad as compared to Skoda. But the cost ? Next, here one has to see availability also, i.e. availability of widespread dealer network.

7) This is OT. Secondly they have recall even if the mudflaps have some issue. Overall, Problems Per 100 vehicles is less. Also, ownership cost is not as high IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Eddy View Post
This is one thing I really like about the car.

Quote:
Is the same 'so called' HTP 1.2 petrol engine offered in the Fabia. (high torque petrol) Someone do the honors please?

This then is essentially a Fabia 1.2 HTP in new clothes.
@Mpower:
IIRC, Fabia is based on PQ24 i.e. A04 where as the current Polo we will be getting is based on PQ35 i.e. A05. This is the main difference.

What amazes me is that this new car with VW badge is priced lower than Fabia.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 29th December 2009 at 22:24.
Old 29th December 2009, 23:13   #71
Senior - BHPian

According to Overdrive who drove the car, the gearbox has been shortened for India. That will hopefully make the most of the rather wimpy engine. If VW introduces bigger engine options in the future (and I sincerely hope that they do have such plans), this is going to be the next big thing!
Old 29th December 2009, 23:22   #72
Senior - BHPian

Am honestly horrified at the WOWs here more than what VW has presented. 3 pot engine for 5L plus ? Who are they kidding ?

Surely we have seen better.
Old 30th December 2009, 01:07   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post

Dimensions and capacities:
  • length: 3970 mm
  • wheelbase: 2470 mm
  • turning radius: 5.3 m
With such dimensions, not sure how spacious would it be? Rear legroom could be similar to Punto if not more. Would have to wait till official TD.
Old 30th December 2009, 02:03   #74
Team-BHP Support

Classic VW in India appraoch. Great sounding package with rubbih engine specs.

I will absolutely never even consider a VW across any segment until they start plonking engines commensurate with the segment and price they offer each car at. Passat, Jetta and now Polo - all with underpowered engines compared to their competition. The sad part is that they have the best engines compared to even the competition at their disposal.

What would I put my money on?? Similar or slightly better equipment levels, 1.2 TSI engine and 7 lakh on road price in Mumbai. That's a well priced, well kitted and killer engined car if you ask me.
Old 30th December 2009, 02:59   #75
Senior - BHPian

Engine seems bad on paper - I wont buy a 3 pot petrol for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Eddy View Post
The Indica (pre-Vista) has independent rear shocks if I am not wrong.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks