Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2010, 22:16   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
i have already finalised 1.6ltr polo, if i wanted to buy a cycle, i wouldnt have gone for 1.6!
Hey do you have any info about the price range of the 1.6 & when is it launching ? Though the showroom guy has told me it will come by April i wanted to get is confirmed . Have you inquired in VW showroom ?
Old 21st January 2010, 22:19   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil.Bhujbal View Post
Hey do you have any info about the price range of the 1.6 & when is it launching ? Though the showroom guy has told me it will come by April i wanted to get is confirmed . Have you inquired in VW showroom ?
1.6 wont be launched so soon. first focus is to push the sales of 1.2 petrol and get a foot hold in the market.

1.6 not selling in large numbers will be seen as a negetive mark on the polo, which VW india dont want to see!

so we have to wait for 1.6 a little longer!
Old 21st January 2010, 22:25   #198
BHPian

Ok,thanks for the info.

But one thing i don't get is why are they launching 1.6l engine & why not 1.2 tsi ?

I mean both the engines pump out almost same bhp & torque figures and the 1.2 tsi is more efficient.

Last edited by Neil.Bhujbal : 21st January 2010 at 22:29.
Old 21st January 2010, 22:56   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok,thanks for the info.

But one thing i don't get is why are they launching 1.6l engine & why not 1.2 tsi ?

I mean both the engines pump out almost same bhp & torque figures and the 1.2 tsi is more efficient.
i will get back to you on that after getting an answer from VW india.
Old 21st January 2010, 23:39   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
a car is never bought for what features are loaded in the cabin, but what it can do from that engine under the bonnet!
A car is often bought for what's in the cabin; performance is not relevant to everyone.

Even when performance is an important factor, the extras can be a deciding matter in a decision. We spend all our driving time, even when stopped, in that cabin; we only spend a fraction of it standing on the accelerator peddle.

Each to their own priorities. I'm disappointed, but not surprised, at the Indian Polo price/package combination.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 21st January 2010 at 23:41. Reason: Added quote
Old 22nd January 2010, 00:01   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A car is often bought for what's in the cabin; performance is not relevant to everyone.

Even when performance is an important factor, the extras can be a deciding matter in a decision. We spend all our driving time, even when stopped, in that cabin; we only spend a fraction of it standing on the accelerator peddle.

Each to their own priorities. I'm disappointed, but not surprised, at the Indian Polo price/package combination.
thats an understatement by you my friend, i dont see many people agree with that statement!

the heart of the car is its ENGINE, not the cabin!
Old 22nd January 2010, 00:16   #202
BHPian

Quote:
thats an understatement by you my friend, i dont see many people agree with that statement!

the heart of the car is its ENGINE, not the cabin!
He is talking of average Indian in particular. How many people actually want to know about their engine and the technology that goes behind it. As long as the engine is reliable, it's OK with most of us, even if it's decade old. On the other hand, interiors do make a big impression. It's a make or break at the first sight.
Old 22nd January 2010, 00:34   #203
Senior - BHPian

I somehow agree with Thad E Ginathom. I also agree that engine is the heart of the car but nowadays who cares about the heart. A human being doesn't look into another human being's heart whereas these are poor machines.
Old 22nd January 2010, 00:41   #204
BHPian

Just did a little digging and I found out that while VW is claiming a 11.1 second 0-100 km/h time for the Polo 1.6, the Polo with the 1.2 TSI has been timed at 9.6 seconds for a 0-100 km/h sprint. This is despite having the same peak power.

I really wish VW would bring the 1.2 TSI instead. It would be an excellent showcase for what the company is capable of. For an extra 1.5 seconds quicker to 100, from a 25% smaller engine, I would easily pay 50k over the price of a 1.6 Polo.
Old 22nd January 2010, 01:05   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
He is talking of average Indian in particular. How many people actually want to know about their engine and the technology that goes behind it. As long as the engine is reliable, it's OK with most of us, even if it's decade old. On the other hand, interiors do make a big impression. It's a make or break at the first sight.
yeah thats why the whole of india goes crazy on 'beige interiors'!

every OEM is making cars with 'beige interiors'!
Old 22nd January 2010, 01:07   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
Just did a little digging and I found out that while VW is claiming a 11.1 second 0-100 km/h time for the Polo 1.6, the Polo with the 1.2 TSI has been timed at 9.6 seconds for a 0-100 km/h sprint. This is despite having the same peak power.

I really wish VW would bring the 1.2 TSI instead. It would be an excellent showcase for what the company is capable of. For an extra 1.5 seconds quicker to 100, from a 25% smaller engine, I would easily pay 50k over the price of a 1.6 Polo.
now here is a guy who likes the Engine (heart) and its performance!
Old 22nd January 2010, 08:02   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Ok,thanks for the info.

I don't know for sure, but I would assume it is because:
  • The 1.2 TSI is considerably more expensive, and
  • The 1.2 TSI would have to be detuned to run on the lower quality petrol available in India.
Quote:
It would be great to have the 1.2 TSI, but we aren't getting it for the reasons I just mentioned. About the 0-100 run, was that a 1.2 TSI with a manual gearbox or with a DSG?
Old 22nd January 2010, 11:05   #208
BHPian

Quote:

Simple - indian petrol isn't 'good enough'
Old 22nd January 2010, 11:09   #209
BHPian

Quote:
It could be because of the lighter engine.Also 11.1sec for the 1.6L engine is not bad and IMO the 1.5 sec difference doesn't matter much in real world conditions.

The 1.2 TSI has very little chance of making it to India now because of the Indian fuel quality issues which could spell trouble for the engine.Also the 1.6L engine could end up being a better all-round performer.
Old 22nd January 2010, 11:15   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Simple - indian petrol isn't 'good enough'
That is a lame excuse given by many Indian manufacturers.
We have 1.8TSi s here BMW Audis sophisticated engines here, then whats the problem.
Better thing to do is ask the customers to get fill the petrol from reputed pumps.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks