Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2010, 23:13   #346
BHPian

With ARAI testing the car, the milege figures will be out soon with launch. grapevine is 1.2 diesel giving arund 25 kmpl!
Old 21st February 2010, 09:43   #347
R17
BHPian

This month's Autocar, Overdrive and Auto Bild are out - and none of them carry either a Road Test or a First Drive of the Polo. Bloody annoying, considering all the mags invariably publish road test / first drive reports 1 or 2 months prior to the launch - case in point, the Figo.

Im not really getting the reason for the delay though. And Im also hoping that at least some mag publishes something on the Polo - though that is unlikely, assuming VW would provide test drive vehicles to either all or none of the publications.

@ GTO - If possible, can you give us an approximate date by which we can expect your detailed review on the Polo - so cant wait for it !!
Old 21st February 2010, 10:08   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Spotted the same Polo with European Plates, a test car as the sticker on the windscreen indicates . Looked very neat and just love the front.

Judging by the Rpm meter, it is a diesel (6000rpm max) but then a bound manual looking book shouts 1.6L 77KW?? I didnt know the Polo was getting a 1.6 diesel heart.
Yikes!
5 bolt hub?
Old 21st February 2010, 14:28   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R17 View Post
@ GTO - If possible, can you give us an approximate date by which we can expect your detailed review on the Polo - so cant wait for it !!
+1.

A rough expected date would be nice
Old 21st February 2010, 17:43   #350
Distinguished - BHPian

Polo Prices Out

Though the Polo will be officially launched on Feb23, ACI claims to know the prices.

Here are the pricing details as seen in the latest copy of the magazine.

1.2 Petrol Trendline: Rs.4.34 Lakhs
1.2 Petrol Comfortline: Rs.4.83 Lakhs
1.2 Petrol Highline: Rs.5.70 Lakhs
1.6 Petrol Highline: Rs.6.04 Lakhs

1.2 Diesel Trendline: Rs.4.99 Lakhs
1.2 Diesel Comfortline: Rs.5.49 Lakhs
1.2 Diesel Highline: Rs.6.39 Lakhs

Al prices are ex-showroom, Delhi

While the Petrol versions will be launched now, the Diesel variants will be available after June. Good news for Enthusiasts is the inclusion of the 1.6 litre 103bhp engine. Both 1.2 petrol and 1.2 Diesel are three cylinder engines, the point remains to be seen is how well does VW control vibrations in these three pot engines?

Last edited by .anshuman : 21st February 2010 at 17:52.
Old 21st February 2010, 17:47   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Yikes!
5 bolt hub?
Whats the problem with a 5 bolt hub ?
Old 21st February 2010, 18:47   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
Nice pics V-16. Thats definitely the Euro-spec Polo. Note the all-black dashboard, automatic climate control, detailed headlamps and tail lights, and the lack of indicators on the front fender (means they must be integrated into the OVRMs). Only confusing bit is the shape of the dashboard and the A/C vents... have never seen round ones in the Polo before.

Methinks VW are testing larger engines for the forthcoming Polo sedan now. The 1.2 diesel must be inadequate for the extra weight of a sedan, so hence the 1.6 diesel is being considered. That must explain this car's presence in India.
In May 2009, VW put out a press release that basically had the following salient points:

"The new 1.6 litre TDI engine was presented at the Engine Symposium by Falko Rudolph, Head of Volkswagen Diesel Engine Development, as "an engine as universal as the Golf". The new entry-level engine for the Polo and the Golf convinces with good driving performance while at the same time keeping fuel consumption low. It will be available in the 55 kW / 75 PS (only Polo), 66 kW / 90 PS and 77 kW / 105 PS options. Thanks to its modular structure, the 1.6 litre TDI engine will serve as a basis for all future four-cylinder diesel engines of Volkswagen. It meets the EU 5 exhaust emission standard and is perfectly equipped with regard to future emissions requirements. The essential development goals of the new 1.6 litre TDI such as the reduction of fuel consumption were achieved, among other things, through the reduction of friction. Besides the characteristics of economy and performance, importance was placed on low CO2 emission which was achieved through the diesel particulate filter with an upstream oxidation catalytic converter located close to the engine. Both engines, the 1.2 TSI and the 1.6 TDI will be available to order for the new Polo and the Golf this year."

This is what is being tested, methinks, and I am also inclined to feel that we will get the 1,2 TSi and the 1.6 TDI on the Sedan version.
Given what I'm seeing so far, I have to say that I do not feel the Polo hatch is worth it.
Old 21st February 2010, 19:32   #353
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
but then a bound manual looking book shouts 1.6L 77KW?? I didnt know the Polo was getting a 1.6 diesel heart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
Methinks VW are testing larger engines for the forthcoming Polo sedan now. The 1.2 diesel must be inadequate for the extra weight of a sedan, so hence the 1.6 diesel is being considered. That must explain this car's presence in India.
1.6L 77KW. Thats the 1.6 petrol for the highline variant! Same can be seen from the brochure as well.

Pricing looks competitive, but still may be high compared to Figo!
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:34   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
1.6L 77KW. Thats the 1.6 petrol for the highline variant! Same can be seen from the brochure as well.
The black German-plate Polo which we are seeing pics of here is probably a diesel. VW would not need to import a EU spec Polo to test an engine we already have i.e the 1.6 petrol currently propelling the Jetta.
We are probably discussing a DIESEL 1.6 that is also an engine option for the latest generation Golf.
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:34   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Whats the problem with a 5 bolt hub ?
Choice of aftermarket alloy wheels.
I'm sure you would have had the taste of it with your 98 PCD Palio.
Ideally, 100 PCD 4-bolt is the best. Worldwide.
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:33   #356
BHPian

Hi ALL,

Me too saw the VM Polo at Laxman-shruthi signal (coming from vadapalani). There is no number plates and all. "Polo" is written on the plates. Car looks amazing in grey color. I would say this is one of the best looking hatchback in our country. Two ppl were sat in the car .. Not sure they are on the way to showroom to display :-)
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:41   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Hi ALL,

Me too saw the VM Polo at Laxman-shruthi signal (coming from vadapalani). There is no number plates and all. "Polo" is written on the plates. Car looks amazing in grey color. I would say this is one of the best looking hatchback in our country. Two ppl were sat in the car .. Not sure they are on the way to showroom to display :-)
Nice (first?) spotting in Chennai! And with only polo written on the number plates, it's probably a display car for the showroom!

No photos?
Old 22nd February 2010, 14:12   #358
BHPian

Sorry man.. I was at the signal, it just crossing the stright-line, i was really stunned by it's looks and did not take my eyes from it. I forgot to mention one thing is that, Polo horn was simply amazing (dual horn it seems). That guy keep honking at the signal while crossing. It may be OEM for Polo. But horn sound was rich and nice to hear.(better than my wind-tone :-)) anyway..
Old 22nd February 2010, 14:59   #359
BHPian

I read some of reviews about 1.2 TDI on net, and its been told that the engine is noicy thought VW is putting very good sound insulation and underpowered. The gear ratio is very very tall (30mph/1000 rpm) fifth gear, not good for indian traffic.
Old 22nd February 2010, 19:40   #360
BHPian

Found an interesting variant of the Polo - 2011 Volkswagen CrossPolo - Official Photos and Info - Car and Driver

Now this is something I would love to own!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks