Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2012, 22:47   #286
Senior - BHPian

re: SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail Sedan & Hatch caught testing. *Clear PICS on Page 9, 11 & 18*

I agree ,it does have a resemblance to many other cars , i mentioned it , and highlighted the relevant parts only , specifically to the SAIL ,given that this thread was on the SAIL!

And in this case the nose and the alloys are almost identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
wow... Btw if at all Fabia resembles anything than it is old generation Swift (which itself looks a copy of Mini Cooper) ...see it. In fact so similar are the side profile and dimensions of fabia and swift that it looks more like a joint development program between suzuki and skoda
Attachment 990456

Last edited by puchoo : 22nd September 2012 at 22:49.
Old 23rd September 2012, 12:19   #287
Senior - BHPian

re: SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail Sedan & Hatch caught testing. *Clear PICS on Page 9, 11 & 18*

Zigwheels too have reviewed the Sail hatch, & here is the link to their review report:

http://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-adv...t-drive/14198/

They seem impressed overall, though the petrol motor (despite being more powerful than Beat, courtesy better torque & bhp) needs to be revved to perform good. Seemingly, pollution norms have robbed the petrol motors the low end torque, leading them to fall out with general motoring junta.
Old 23rd September 2012, 14:57   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I hope you know that the Sail is not a chinese car at all. It is nothing but a rebadged and facelifted version of the defunct Opel Corsa Sail.

The Checy uses the same platform as the Corsa, identical underpinnings. It's just a refreshed version.

Everyone knows that the Corsa was known for it's exemplary stability and ride quality. Looking by ACI's first report, the Sail carries over these traits.

I really like these simple design hatches than the quirky funny styling which some manufacturers are adopting including Chevy with the Beat. It maybe funky looking but not to everyone's taste.
I didn't. But, it still doesn't convince me enough to call it a 'proper' ground up product. It just doesn't seem to have any real finesse that you expect from a modern product.

The fact that it is manufactured in collaboration with a Chinese manufacturer doesn't augur well for the image, does it. There are still a lot of people in India who can't accept 'cheapo Chinese' stuff with open arms. For right or for wrong, I am one of them.
Old 23rd September 2012, 21:55   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I hope you know that the Sail is not a chinese car at all. It is nothing but a rebadged and facelifted version of the defunct Opel Corsa Sail.
Actually no - It IS a Chinese hatch - albeit with Corsa underpinnings. GM does not have Sail as a platform anywhere else. SAIC makes SAIL and it is just re-badged as Cheverloet for the Indian market. By the way, SAIC owns 50% of the GM plant in India.
Old 23rd September 2012, 21:59   #290
BHPian

which is disappointing. Chevrolet at one side is offering great products like Cruze and Captiva whereas on the other side completely degraded the new products like Sail. After driving or looking at Beat do you guys really think people will even look at the Sail!
Old 23rd September 2012, 23:42   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
Actually no - It IS a Chinese hatch - albeit with Corsa underpinnings. GM does not have Sail as a platform anywhere else. SAIC makes SAIL and it is just re-badged as Cheverloet for the Indian market. By the way, SAIC owns 50% of the GM plant in India.
Sorry to disagree on this. As Vid6639 said this is based on the old Opel Corsa B platform. The platform itself is discontinued in the Western markets but chosen for Sail in developing countries like China, India and Latin American countries. Even in China it is sold as a Chevrolet and not under any of SAIC's Chinese badges. Other major manufacturers like Hyundai, Volkswagen etc. also have Chinese specific models as part of collaboration with Chinese companies although its based on their international models. For eg: the VW Bora is product of FAW-Volkswagen group based on an older version of VW Jetta. It would not be apt to term any of these cars as Chinese.
Old 23rd September 2012, 23:51   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
I didn't. But, it still doesn't convince me enough to call it a 'proper' ground up product. It just doesn't seem to have any real finesse that you expect from a modern product.

The fact that it is manufactured in collaboration with a Chinese manufacturer doesn't augur well for the image, does it. There are still a lot of people in India who can't accept 'cheapo Chinese' stuff with open arms. For right or for wrong, I am one of them.
Read this http://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-adv...t-drive/14198/

First thing: its not chinese despite designed in a chinese development centre. I read on that Zigwheel Article that it is designed at GM's Pan Asia Development centre based out of china. Now as long as it has the design philosophy and controls of GM/Chevrolet Engineering, does it matter which centre it is designed in. You will be in great shock to know some of the best designs of the other brand of GM, BUICK, these days are not designed in US but in China, and I would presume in this same centre and to top it now when these buicks are launched in US they are doing brisk business. Read through on wiki about Buick Lacrosse, Buick Verano and Buick Regal. Stop whining, Today's its GM's chinese centre designing cars for their global sales, tomorrow it just might be GM's Indian Engineering Centre (They have one in Bangalore) you wouldn't want the same kind of derogatory comments coming for we indians from other nationalities would you?

Second Thing: Its not cheapo. It is a 4-Star NCAP which Indian Swift and indian i10s are not. Guess the main reason is Indian Government has no safety related regulations in India so every other manufacturer has different specification and Vehicle Gross Weight for sales in India and sales in other countries. China i think has mandatory 4-Star Crash rating Requirements. One comparison of GVW (Gross vehicle Weight) of India sold Swift/i10/beat/sail and International sold Swift/i10/beat/sail will easily reveal you this difference.

Third thing: What do you meant it has to be "Ground-up product"? so you mean this one is not? Well I don't think a company of the stature of GM would take the risk of compromising with the quality of their product by launching "Half-Baked" Product. you have to be kidding here right, afterall they are replacing a car which was JD-Power IQS segment topper for 4 years

Many of us are right in criticizing chevy when they say it is a staid or not so inspiring design. But guess what, going by success of Figo and not so great success of beat, it looks like the sensible designs work in India and not the superb designs. I would assume functionality makes more sense to us indians than mere outstanding design. If it is both its even better (case of Swift) but even there functionality takes priority over design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
which is disappointing. Chevrolet at one side is offering great products like Cruze and Captiva whereas on the other side completely degraded the new products like Sail. After driving or looking at Beat do you guys really think people will even look at the Sail!
I think Chevies tried to come with outstanding on-the-face design with Beat and Cruze which did not work to a great extent, so they with this car are trying to attract those set of customers who are looking for functional and offend-none design . I think Chevy by this way are trying to attract both set of customer, one who is high on design the other who is high on functionality. I think even if they wanted to launch customer-set specific cars they should have launched the second car in the same segment as beat

Last edited by anu21v : 24th September 2012 at 00:13.
anu21v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 00:21   #293
Senior - BHPian

I too dont read into the 'chinese=El cheapo' theory. Much of the world's trade today is done on ships built in chinese yards and having sailed on those and even on ones built in Indian yards, I can safely assume chinese workmanship is atleast at par with Indians if not better.

While there are a lot of duplicates and copycats out of the country, the branded products coming out of the place are indeed at par with what we get here if not better.

Coming to Chevy, I feel Aveo UVA was a good car that was put down by its design and lack of a diesel engine and more than anything else chevy's lack of marketing. I personally know a couple of guys who own Aveo/UVA and are very happy with them. The sedan specially in my eyes is a very proportionate vehicle, infact more than most in the price range, it has good space, practicality but unfortunately lacks a good heart.

Sail here adresses atleast part of the issue. The hatch as we can see from the pics has almost class leading space. The engines are good. Petrol is faster than the Swift(as per ACI review) and Diesel is the same brilliant National engine. Yes the design is a tad too old, and the interior quality isnt great. But price it competitevely, under cutting the swift and promote it well, we may just be surprised by the numbers this does. Because as I see it, this has enough grunt in it to take the battle on to the Ritzs and Vistas, all it needs is a little push.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 11:02   #294
BHPian

SCOOP: New Chevy Hatchback caught testing.

Yesterday I was dropping my friend at his apartment in Gurgaon, where I spotted a semi-camouflaged car. My curiosity grew and I took another round to check the brand/logo which were also hidden with a thick pile of packaging tape.

I immediately took few shots and here its for you

PS : The shots were taken from my mobile, so please bear with the poor quality, also as the car was parked in an open car parking lot, hence the reflections on windows shield were unavoidable.

The Interior:

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-img2012092301040.jpg

Notice the Power windows switches near gear lever.

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-img2012092301041.jpg

Front

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-img2012092301043.jpg

Notice the Chevy grill

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-img2012092301044.jpg

Side profile, Door gets normal pull-up type door openers.

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-img2012092301045.jpg

The car is evidently longer than Beat, so perhaps a long due replacement for UVA ?

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-img2012092301046.jpg

Back, Notice the Chirtmas tail-lights a-la-figo and neat boot opener.

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-img2012092301048.jpg

Though lock is awkwardly placed.

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-img2012092301049.jpg

Notice the long-ish rear door.

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-img2012092301050.jpg

Nice interiors, but couldn't lift my eyes from awkwardly placed PW switches.

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-img2012092301051.jpg
SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-img2012092301052.jpg

Headlamps, reminds me of SX4

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-img2012092301053.jpg

And here's the buster . This logo on front windshield spilled all the beans

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-img2012092301054.jpg

Nice supportive seats, with 40:60 split option. Also notice the impressive leg room at rear (noticed that rear door).

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-img2012092301055.jpg

Your views please.

Mods: Please merge the thread if similar thread already exists, as I could not find any. Thanks
Turbo Head is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 11:04   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: SCOOP: New Chevy Hatchback caught testing.

Isn't this the SAIL twins being spotted at various locations for the past year or so?

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th September 2012 at 11:32.
Old 24th September 2012, 11:12   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Isn't this the SAIL twins being spotted at various locations for the past year or so!

Cheers!
Quite possible, It can be sail hatchback.
Any idea about the powertrains ?
Old 24th September 2012, 11:40   #297
BHPian

Re: SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail Sedan & Hatch caught testing. *Clear PICS on Page 9, 11 & 1

A few more pics, taken today @NH8 near IGI airport going toward GGN
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-1.jpg  

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-2.jpg  

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-3.jpg  

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-4.jpg  

amit_arya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 21:05   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
The Interior:

Attachment 991035
I think I have observed someting new here. The music system as seen in these pictures is a 2 DIN unit as opposed to the single DIN seen so far both in the Indian test mules and Chinese version. This is step in the right direction before reaching the final production version, even though this does one does not seem to be an integrated unit like the one in the Beat.

Another point to be noted is that even though GM is the last to introduce the MJD in India, they have proved that its their own engine by providing better power and torque figures with the FGT. 78PS and 205Nm against 75 PS and 190 Nm provided by others.
Old 24th September 2012, 22:15   #299
BHPian

Re: SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail Sedan & Hatch caught testing. *Clear PICS on Page 9, 11 & 1

Few queries I have on this test mule. From the windshield it is evident that the car is manufactured in 2011. If that is the case this is not a production ready vehicle. Any idea on this?
Old 25th September 2012, 00:32   #300
BHPian

The music system looks nice but I agree, the power windows switches should have been at the gates! Does it helps to keep the prices down?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks