Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2012, 20:52   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail Sedan & Hatch spied testing *Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 &

Excellent points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
There is a reason why digital tachs looks like these images, even when the speedo's look like standard digits, and why these tachs don't look the way Chevrolet has stupidly done the Sail's tach.
I feel the same goes with the speedometer also. Needle on a dial gives better picture of a relative position of the speed, the feel of acceleration, etc.
Old 16th October 2012, 23:20   #332
BHPian

Re: SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail Sedan & Hatch spied testing *Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 &

Digital speedos used to be aesthetically quite tacky and lacking classiness, and many may think that is still true, but I don't think they are functionally deficient.

I will of course admit that for me, a speedo is useful only to make sure that I am not exceeding the speed limit and risking fines. Apart from that, at no moment of hard driving has the speedo been a gauge that I have refered to. THe tach counts for everything.

THe only time i cared what the speedo was reading was at the braking zone of racetrack straightaways, for two reasons.

1. A good speed at the start of braking gave me an indication of well I'd nailed the corner that had led to the straightway.

2. as a cheat to encourage me to stay in the throttle in the hope of eking out a few more km/h, when the actual result would be that I would delay braking, and I would have to brake harder, smoother, cleaner, trail the brakes off into the corner.

Apart from this and law enforcement, I have no use for a speedo. Give me a car with a tach only and I am good.

Funny thing is, 20 years ago, when I got a ride in the passenger seat of Rajiv Khanna's rally Opel Manta 400, I saw that it had only a tach, no speedo, and I just couldn't make sense of it. Now I do. and the reason is the same one that makes the best sporting cars have the tach, not the speedo as the primary instrument in the gauge cluster. Examples here:

There is good reason that these cars have the tach as the most prominent gauge.

Now it is understood that this thread and my comments are about a Chevrolet Sail, and not a remotely sporting car, but what they have done is completely wrong and there is very good reason why no one has done it yet despite having had all the same reasons as Chevrolet did to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-mazda_rx7_interior1600x1200.jpg  

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-rzsmetermod.jpg  

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-porsche_911_turbos_edition_918_spyder_cab_gaugecluster_11.jpg  

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-ferrari_f430_interior_02.jpg  

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-2012mclarenmp412cgaugecluster_1200.jpg  

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-gr_mclaren_f1_8.jpg  

Harbir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 14:34   #333
Senior - BHPian

Re: SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20

Another Sail Sedan seen testing and reported by TopGear at Mumbai Pune Highway.
http://www.topgear.com/india/car-gal...edan/itemid-89

Chevy seems to give this segment one more shot.
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:51   #334
BHPian

Re: SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20

So around 8L on-road in Chennai? Ouch! That is in Nissan Sunny XL (D) territory! However I will wait for the official review of the sedan before calling it a fail.

EDIT: The pricing post before mine that I was quoting got deleted. Is it bogus?

Last edited by SedatedDrive : 2nd November 2012 at 12:52.
Old 2nd November 2012, 19:22   #335
BHPian

IAB reports Sail sedan and Enjoy MPV are set to launch in Q1 2013.

Quote:
Mr. P. Balendran, Vice President, Corporate affairs at GM India said that he was traveling around the country till the 19th of October to launch of the Sail U-VA in every part of India.
He said the Enjoy van and the Sail notchback, as he liked to call it, will be introduced in the first quarter of 2013.
Read more: http://indianautosblog.com/2012/11/c...-in-q1-of-2013
Old 6th November 2012, 09:13   #336
BHPian

New Chevy spotted - Is it the Sonic Sedan?

I have not seen any thread on this, so starting new one. Mods, if there is one, please merge
.Spotted it this morning. From front grill (Cruze inspired) and driver confirmation it is a Chevrolet. Checked Chevy US site, seems very similar (in size and overall shape) to Sonic Sedan - http://www.chevrolet.com/sonic-small-car.html

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-sonic.jpg

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-front.jpg

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-rear.jpg

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-side.jpg

Last edited by benbsb29 : 6th November 2012 at 09:59. Reason: Added watermarks.
vipulbatta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 11:45   #337
BHPian

Today spotted a silver metallic Sail UVA and a masked silver metallic Sail Sedan testing in heavy traffic near palace grounds, Bangalore around 1030 am in the morning.
The sedan was masked with yellow tape in zig zag pattern and all the badges masked off. The hatchback was being driven behind but unmasked. Both had Gujarat registration TC number plates in red.

Also only two people were in each of them. The passenger was ticking off some points in some sort of checklist. Couldnt tell if it was a diesel as no black smoke was coming from the exhaust. I was riding alongside the passenger window for quite sometime. Couldnt take pics as the traffic was too much.
Old 28th November 2012, 11:58   #338
Senior - BHPian

The crease lines of the the pics above look similar but are those two cars the same since the front profile is heavily modified.

Also in the pics spotted above, the sedan looks slightly bigger for an entry level car, so would it be closer to a Sunny , Rapid than a Etios or Fiesta is a question.
Old 28th November 2012, 12:42   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
The crease lines of the the pics above look similar but are those two cars the same since the front profile is heavily modified.

Also in the pics spotted above, the sedan looks slightly bigger for an entry level car, so would it be closer to a Sunny , Rapid than a Etios or Fiesta is a question.
I have seen the car personally and it is not as big as a sunny for sure, yes maybe close to Rapid, it is definitely bigger then the Dzire.
ranc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 13:49   #340
BHPian

I felt its almost the same size as the previous generation ford fiesta.
Old 10th December 2012, 17:34   #341
BHPian

This time - I searched for the thread and then posted.

And from what I have seen - I guess THE most clear pics till date.

Spotted just outside the Talegaon Toll enroute Pune-Mumbai Expressway on 5th December 2012.

Enjoy!

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-20121205_161835.jpg

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-20121205_161843.jpg

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-20121205_161851.jpg

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-20121205_161858.jpg

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-20121205_161910.jpg

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-20121205_161918.jpg

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-20121205_161925.jpg
Dr.Suraj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 18:34   #342
Senior - BHPian

Another sighting of the car is been reported by Motoroids, here:

http://motoroids.com/news/chevrolet-...specs-details/

@Dr.Suraj your Manza is visible in the 3rd picture .

What did the driver tell you about the car... any more details divulged on the specs, handling, launch, pricing, etc? How spacious was the rear seat, although it ought to be quite spacious, since it is derived from Sail hatch?
Old 11th December 2012, 10:32   #343
BHPian

looks decent, clean design and boot goes well with the flow(& spacious too), doesn't look cut short design as with Dzire and Indigo CS!

We can expect good space and ride quality, going by UVA reviews, now pricing will decide whether it will do well or fail.
Old 11th December 2012, 10:47   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Another sighting of the car is been reported by Motoroids, here:

http://motoroids.com/news/chevrolet-...specs-details/

@Dr.Suraj your Manza is visible in the 3rd picture .

What did the driver tell you about the car... any more details divulged on the specs, handling, launch, pricing, etc? How spacious was the rear seat, although it ought to be quite spacious, since it is derived from Sail hatch?
Indeed! That is my dear Manza who gave me the best FE figures till date on that trip.
Thank you for noticing!

Funny thing was - NO DRIVER. No ONE was around the car.
I guess whoever was along had gone in to the restroom for a loo break.

So I quickly clicked a few - tried interiors but harsh sun. And left quietly before anyone came!

From what I saw - interiors were same as the Sail UVA.
I did not notice much difference, neither to say crazy leg space like the Manza or Sunny.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 14:19   #345
BHPian

Re: SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* - Looks ready to launch

Saw two of these Chevy Sedans on the Mumbai-Pune highway yesterday afternoon, near the Talegaon toll naka. One of them was being driven at a steady ~80+ kmph, the other seemed to be doing 140ish. Both looked planted.

The same silver colour - so could even be the same ones already recorded above a week ago.

The increasing sitings without any camouflage probably means GM is ready to launch it any time now.

These are cropped from mobile phone pics taken though the windshield and windows of the car I was in.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks