Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2009, 23:53   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
2) Palio Stile weights in at 990 kg for 1.1. So lets say that the 1.2 unit will have to pull 1000 kg approx in Palio, which is around 50 kg less than GP. Good point, but overall they are heavier and eventually will lose out on performance as compared to competition.

Note that Palio is having that 1.6 petrol available, but is still not selling. Both GP and Palio have similar diesel units with similar output ( bhp, but GP has more torque ), but still palio is not selling well. Both of them have more or less similar FE and performance and Palio price is less than GP, but even than sales are just absent.
The Fiat website lists the kerb weight of GP 1.2 as 1140kg and Palio 1.1 as 960kg, that makes a difference of 180kg which definitely can make a huge difference in performance and FE levels.Plonking the 1.2 Fire in the Palio will take it take past the 1000kg mark but it will still be better than the GP.

The 1.6L doesn't sell because of the FE factor and the 1.1L is too sluggish that many don't consider buying it.

Another reason is the Palio's archaic interior design and a refreshed model with better interiors will prove helpful.By discontinuing the GP 1.2, Fiat gets a huge price range whereby it will be able to provide more safety features in the Palio.
Old 1st January 2010, 03:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

The original Palio looked so much better. Actually, Palio has always kept going downhill on the looks department.

I feel this is typically Maruti-ish attitude. I would say Palio has lived its life. They should let Punto do the honors. They can also bring in a brand new car on a brand new platform below the Punto alongside the likes of W-R, estilo, Santro etc.
Old 1st January 2010, 07:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

I don't know what is that FIAT is trying to achieve here. The Palio has lived its life gracefully and now it is better to lay it to rest with dignity. Palio's dismal sales figure tells it all.
Just by altering the headlight & taillights will not get much sales after all the body & engine is the same.
Old 1st January 2010, 07:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

More than introducing Palio, Fiat should worry about introducing variants of Palio, like the Adventure. Anyway, Palio will sell as much as the Adventure. Why not have the Adventure instead?
Old 1st January 2010, 09:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
The original Palio looked so much better. Actually, Palio has always kept going downhill on the looks department.

I feel this is typically Maruti-ish attitude. I would say Palio has lived its life. They should let Punto do the honors. They can also bring in a brand new car on a brand new platform below the Punto alongside the likes of W-R, estilo, Santro etc.

i would tend to agree on this point. The Retro palio was the best looking (IMHO) it came with poise and a certain "Dont mess with me" Character- which has been successfully destroyed by the lackluster performance of the manufacturer more than anything.

Guess, FAIPL should become a case study of what a vehicle manufacturer should NOT do when in India.

I think they should retire the palio, have the GP at that price range with the 1.2Fire engine and fill the void. it makes it easier for the dealers as well, to focus on one product rather than multiple products in the same range / category.
Old 1st January 2010, 10:03   #21
BHPian

i think the answer to all the speculations on the looks of the new palio lies at pragati maidan.Lets wait till Jan 5th.Let Auto Expo 2010 do the talking.
Old 1st January 2010, 10:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

IMO the first gen as well as the Stile are better looking than the Brazilian Facelifted version. Would be interesting to see what does FIAT bring to India. I also hope that they tweak the 1.6 mill and keep that on as its the only true hot hatchback in the market with the demise of Getz CRDi
Old 1st January 2010, 11:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

All said and done, as the company exec. says, retiring the Palio would create a void in that segment.

Discontinuing the 1.2 GP gives them a good price range and hence they could probably plonk the goodies in the top end variant.

ABS/Airbags et all.....

5th JAn holds the key...
Just keeping fingers crossed that the car that finally gets launched has a better rear side as compared to the Novo.

Felt the Novo rear is very staid!!
Old 1st January 2010, 22:11   #24
BHPian

FIAT has managed to garner a decent reputation thanks to the GP and the Linea! A relaunched Palio, while great for FIAT fans, will only seek to confuse the consumer and hence eventually dwindle its sales.

One needs to understand that it is more important for FIAT to build its brand image of rock solid service and quality cars before widening its product portfolio.
Old 1st January 2010, 23:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

Palio with a 1.2 engine or 1.1 engine is the same mistake that they committed earlier.
Low power engines pulling a ton+ car will always affect FE. A refined 1.2 with 80+ horses and adequate torque with impressive interiors at the same current price levels might work. Otherwise, it will die even before hitting the roads.
Old 1st January 2010, 23:41   #26
BHPian

Hope they continue the 1.6 version.
Its really sad - first the Getz CRDi goes kaput and now the palio
Old 1st January 2010, 23:43   #27
BHPian

The GP and Linea are not exactly volume players and that is the very reason why Fiat badly needs a car which can perform well in the < 5lakh segment which generates max volumes. Eventhough releasing the facelifted Palio with the new engine is a good idea but I really doubt if it will really sell.

IMO they should release the Fiat Panda in India to compete against Ritz and the i10.Its a very practical car and this is what is required for Fiat at the moment.You never know, it could turn out to be their dragon warrior.

New Palio 2010 launch in Auto Expo-fiatpanda.jpg
Old 1st January 2010, 23:58   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenalinJunkie View Post
Hope they continue the 1.6 version.
Its really sad - first the Getz CRDi goes kaput and now the palio
Just got news from someone you can Get CRDi still on order
Old 2nd January 2010, 00:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

New Palio 2010 launch in Auto Expo-31460.jpg

When can we expect such an interior in a Palio in India... too much to ask for eh?
Old 2nd January 2010, 01:13   #30
BHPian

Fiat Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
IMO they should release the Fiat Panda in India to compete against Ritz and the i10.Its a very practical car and this is what is required for Fiat at the moment.You never know, it could turn out to be their dragon warrior.

+1 to that. Fiat really needs the Panda to be a volume player in India. I think the Palio has really lived its life in India.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed