Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which car does NOT Rattle?
ANHC 111 24.13%
SX4 18 3.91%
Fiesta 60 13.04%
Verna 36 7.83%
Aveo 14 3.04%
Optra Magnum 31 6.74%
Linea 117 25.43%
Octavia 73 15.87%
Voters: 460. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2010, 23:43   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Why no Lancer in the list ? 7 years and no rattles.
EDIT: It is made in Japan. Not HM. That could well be the difference.
Made in Japan makes a big difference. I test drove pramodkumar's old lancer (that too made in japan) I can't remember of hearing any rattles in that too.
Old 5th January 2010, 00:15   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Made in Japan makes a big difference. I test drove pramodkumar's old lancer (that too made in japan) I can't remember of hearing any rattles in that too.
Is there a reason for this or is it coincidence? I can't believe our local plants are actually inferior to international ones.
Old 5th January 2010, 10:04   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Is there a reason for this or is it coincidence? I can't believe our local plants are actually inferior to international ones.
I don't think it has got to do with our plants. Just compare the overall quality of a car manufactured in India for export with the same model manufactured for sale in India. They will have differences.

Many years back, we had a Bajaj chetak export version, somehow managed to buy it with someone's influence or whatever. Its build quality was way better than the ones which was sold in India at that time. The scooter refused to age. We sold it after 11 years for the same price that we spent to buy it.
Old 5th January 2010, 12:02   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I don't think it has got to do with our plants. Just compare the overall quality of a car manufactured in India for export with the same model manufactured for sale in India. They will have differences.
So what you're saying is that manufacturers deliberately give us lower quality stuff? That disappoints me. If its for cost cutting reasons, then I'll be the first to say that I don't mind spending a little extra and getting cars that don't rattle and age early.
Old 5th January 2010, 12:09   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
If its for cost cutting reasons, then I'll be the first to say that I don't mind spending a little extra and getting cars that don't rattle and age early.
+1 to that. I don't mind spending extra bucks to get some more quality build or better interiors or anything.

Manufacturers may be giving lower quality stuff because of two reasons:

1) Cost cutting
2) It is for India - so the 'Chalega' attitude in production & QC.
Old 5th January 2010, 12:20   #51
Senior - BHPian

My palio rattles - the dashboard and the rear parcel tray rattle on rough roads.

@ clever max - what about your palio 1.2?

our Getz doesn't rattle - our 21 year old Padmini doesn't rattle.
Old 5th January 2010, 12:39   #52
BHPian

Logically a Diesel car should rattle more due to the D engine, but also a Petrol car should rattle more as you would be able to hear the softest rattles due to the low NVH of the petrol engine. So am i contradicting myself ?

Well i could never hear the rattles of my 1999 Santro which had a rasping exhaust note, while my Octy TPI is so silent, that i can hear my self breathe and also some squeaks !
Old 5th January 2010, 18:33   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
My palio rattles - the dashboard and the rear parcel tray rattle on rough roads.
@ clever max - what about your palio 1.2?
Yes my Palio 1.2 was rattling from the dashboard. I recently found out the reason - the antenna cable was lying loose and its end was touching the dash board plastic and this made the sound. I fixed it myself. There was some minor rattle because of the head unit bracket, that too is fixed. As someone said, these rattles got generated because of our own modifications like ICE.

Then the doors used to squeak (rubbery) - simple solution, applied wax over the rubber beadings and that is stopped. Then the parcel tray rattles but I am not doing anything about it because I can take it off anytime to stop the rattle. No other rattling sounds from my Palio.

But Punto.. man its completely free from any kind of rattles. Will it stay like the Palio? Only time will tell.

Last edited by clevermax : 5th January 2010 at 18:40.
Old 5th January 2010, 19:00   #54
BHPian

The GM build quality shows in AVEO

I have sat in my uncle's Aveo and I felt that cars from foreign manufacturers are very different from what you get from Indian manufacturers. The ride was so smooth that I even pointed that out to my uncle. He said matter of factly, "Foreign gaadi hai." The reliable build quality and finish of GM shows in cars like Aveo. It may not be the top notch car in the market. The premise here is the build quality.
Old 5th January 2010, 23:07   #55
Senior - BHPian

Can I add Lancer here? My cousin ran his for 2.25 lakhs and he drives it like he stole it and is on the run from cops, all the time. Yet not a single rattle even when driven over breakers or rough stretches.
Old 6th January 2010, 11:41   #56
Senior - BHPian

On a long run, most of the cars will generate little rattles at least.
How many of you voted here drove your car (for which you have voted) drove it for 3+ years? You need to drive it for a while, test it in all road conditions and vote for ANHC, Linea etc.

From my first look Linea, looks good, But I do not expect it to not to generate rattles after 20Kms, quality is not that impressive.

How many of you voted here drove your ANHC in all terrains?

SX4, I know it has lot of complaints already!. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...oll-844-a.html, 48% :-)

I am not sure about the rest, But Aveo. I owned it for 3+ years, 40Kms, covered almost all the roads in Tamilnadu and some part in Karnataka and Kerala. I never had a simple noise within the cabin, it was complain free.
The quality of the exterior & interior, total fit and finish was great in that car.

@serpente, you are absolutely correct.

But I can tolerate rattles than poor gear shifts and service. :-)

Last edited by agbenny : 6th January 2010 at 11:45.
Old 6th January 2010, 12:06   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Can I add Lancer here? My cousin ran his for 2.25 lakhs and he drives it like he stole it and is on the run from cops, all the time. Yet not a single rattle even when driven over breakers or rough stretches.
Yep! The list desperately needs one more addition: The Mitsu Lancer Pre 2002 Made in Japan ones.

My dad drove his aquiantance's 2004 Lancer with 70K+ on the ODO
and he said it felt like it had fallen off a cliff.
My 2002 Jap Lancer, Alhamdulilah, has no rattles or suspension problems whatsoever uptill now.

Old 6th January 2010, 21:19   #58
BHPian

Forgot to suggest a good solution for rattling (which I do atleast when 'guests' are in car)

PLAY YOUR STEREO IN FULL VOLUME! I have a JBL Sub-Woofer and Amp so it does the work! hahaha

PS: THE PJ was prompted because someone said Petrol cars seem to rattle more since the NVH is more than Diesel!
Old 8th January 2010, 15:34   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Forgot to suggest a good solution for rattling (which I do atleast when 'guests' are in car)

PLAY YOUR STEREO IN FULL VOLUME! I have a JBL Sub-Woofer and Amp so it does the work! hahaha

PS: THE PJ was prompted because someone said Petrol cars seem to rattle more since the NVH is more than Diesel!
I agree with you :-)
But the A.S.S manager of GM told me the same when I was complaining noises from the suspension, which they never solved. It was disgusting when he was joking like this.

BTW, is there any way I can stop the seat Belt buckle hitting the side wall? I couldn't stop that when there is no one at the passenger seat.

Last edited by agbenny : 8th January 2010 at 15:37.
Old 9th January 2010, 10:40   #60
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I can vouch for the quality of early Lancers. My 2000 Model didn't throw out a squeak in its 1.0+ lakh kms of service. Is there a different between import quality and the localised stuff? Like you would not believe! Even a kid can tell the difference in quality of parts.

Another brand that doesn't rattle : Mercedes. 60,000+ kms on my 220. Not a rattle to show for it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks