Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2010, 18:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
What's the reason behind that ?

Even in it's site, it's positioned as a premium hatch(like Swift but not like Jazz/i20).
It's only Maruti who says its a premium hatch like Swift but for rest of the world its competing with cars a segment lower then Swift.

They call it a premium hatch cause they priced it like a premium hatch!
Old 5th January 2010, 09:32   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
As far as I recall, the Govt norm is <4 mtr with max engine capacity of 1.3L in petrol & 1.5L in diesel. Swift petrol engine is 1298CC, so it will qualify for the same. Please correct if I am wrong.
It is <4m,1.2L(P) and 1.5L(D).The first to take benefit of the 1.2(P) was Tata through the Xeta(Indica Diesel was anyway a sub-1.5L oil burner).Aveo-uVA ,i10,i20,Ritz followed
Old 7th January 2010, 17:51   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
It's only Maruti who says its a premium hatch like Swift but for rest of the world its competing with cars a segment lower then Swift.

But Swift is not having "the class" that is expected from the other real premium hatches like Jazz/i20. And, also Swift lacks the luxury feel. I would say that it's just a VFM hatch with 87 BHP under it's hood !

If Swift can be priced at a higher rate, then why can't the Ritz be priced higher(which is having almost the same features) ?

Also, don't forget the http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ar-2009-a.html went for K-Series ?

Last edited by mithun : 7th January 2010 at 18:07.
Old 7th January 2010, 22:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But Swift is not having "the class" that is expected from the other real premium hatches like Jazz/i20. And, also Swift lacks the luxury feel. I would say that it's just a VFM hatch with 87 BHP under it's hood !

If Swift can be priced at a higher rate, then why can't the Ritz be priced higher(which is having almost the same features) ?

Also, don't forget the http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ar-2009-a.html went for K-Series ?
Well Swift may not have class and luxury feel like other premium hatches like Fabia, Polo, Jazz as far as i20 goes, IMO it also does not have the so called luxury feel of the 3 cars I mentioned!!

What it has over Ritz is better looks, I know looks are highly subjective but still Swift looks much better then Ritz. Other than that Swift has following +ve's over Ritz.
1. Bigger engine
2. Longer wheelbase
3. Overall length and width
4. Highway manners
5. 2BHP more then Ritz

IMO Ritz is slightly overpriced!! Compare it with newly launched Chevrolet Beat and you will realize what I'm talking about.
Old 7th January 2010, 22:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well Swift may not have class and luxury feel like other premium hatches like Fabia, Polo, Jazz as far as i20 goes, IMO it also does not have the so called luxury feel of the 3 cars I mentioned!!

What it has over Ritz is better looks, I know looks are highly subjective but still Swift looks much better then Ritz. Other than that Swift has following +ve's over Ritz.
1. Bigger engine
2. Longer wheelbase
4. Highway manners
5. 2BHP more then Ritz

IMO Ritz is slightly overpriced!! Compare it with newly launched Chevrolet Beat and you will realize what I'm talking about.
Hi hammer head,

First of all the swift has been marketed and captured the market.
I remember when it was introduced people said it was like a frog. So look wise it might change in the due course.
Yes you are right that the engine is bigger in swift but the FE is good in Ritz.
Ritz is Bharat IV where as Swift is Bharat II
High way manners Ritz is equally good. I drove 10K kms in a period of 111 days. There also it is not accepted.
So we have to wait and see the future of both.

Now may be OT.

If Polo is better I will give up both Swift and Ritz and go for Polo for the show up as well as the performance of VW cars. But *** and the price of the spares wise maruti is the best for maruti cars from 800 to Grand Vitara. None can beat them in that area. VW I have to study the spares price

Last edited by navan49 : 7th January 2010 at 22:44.
Old 8th January 2010, 20:39   #21
BHPian

Quote:

It is unfortunate that a petrol head does not consider the common platform and other aspects that are on par in both cars.

Quote:

1. Bigger engine
2. Longer wheelbase
4. Highway manners
5. 2BHP more then Ritz

1. Bigger engine - Size doesn't matter when you compare K seriies with G series.

2. Longer wheelbase - 30 mm difference will make a difference? I am not technically adept in this but I would expect a longer wheelbase to provide a good ride. Contrarily I found the Ritz to ride well due to it's softer suspension. Am I missing something?

Ritz length X Width - 3715 X 1680
Swift length X Width - 3760 X 1690

Sit in the Ritz and Swift back to back and then decide which offers more space. One thing Ritz lacks is the sporty front seating position but it feels spacious both in front and back. Packaging and of course height at play I guess.

4. Highway manners - Body roll is there agreed. But drive this thing at 3 digit speeds and check it. It is very stable for a tall boy.

5. 2BHP more then Ritz - Does it matter ? Can we not compromise on 2 bhp for a more refined motor? Any way you were joking weren't you?

Ritz overpriced than Beat? Definitely Yes. Going by that logic Swift is as well.

It was actually tough call between Swift and Ritz when I booked my car. I test drove both back to back and decided Ritz was my car. Bonus for me was the slightly lower price (I actually bought Vdi and got the discount for it) and faster delivery.

IMHO Ritz and Swift caters to different groups in the same segment (call it premium or not!). Ritz for those looking at practical aspects while Swift for those looking for a more sportier option.

Last edited by pacman2881 : 8th January 2010 at 20:45.
Old 8th January 2010, 21:10   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm wondering why such a price difference although Ritz Petrol is a new model with a class apart K-Series engine, better interiors, BS-IV compliant engine etc.
Blame it on the small car excise norms!

This is also the reason why all small car makers are sticking to 1.2L petrol engines for their cars. Some notable premium examples being i20 1.2, Jazz 1.2 etc.
Quote:
2. Ok, I admit it. But still the 1.3 engine is a waste of money since the K-Series is more refined.
1.3 engine is going out as soon as the new emission norms come in place! (By April?).

Please note that Versa has already undergone this change, and soon swift (and gypsy?) will follow. I believe we already have threads running on this!
Quote:
Disagree!

Although Splash replaced WagonR in other markets, it went one segment higher than WagonR, and share a common platform with the Swift. (Unlike our WagonR which shares platform with the Alto).

Splash DDiS (Qouting DDiS prices as petrols as different in both cars) retails at prices starting 14700E in europe, while Swift DDiS starts at 14900E. They compete head to head in price, but appeal to different markets!
http://www.suzuki.de/index.html;jses...C3449D77D5E59D
Quote:

So, are we discussing whether Swift higher price is justified, or why Maruti is not milking us on Ritz P price?

The difference is explained well by higher excise duty + Auto climate control!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th January 2010 at 21:11.
Old 8th January 2010, 22:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

Swift v/s Ritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
It is unfortunate that a petrol head does not consider the common platform and other aspects that are on par in both cars.
If I consider common platform then A-Star joins the competition cause that's too based on the same platform in fact A-Star's wheelbase = Ritz's wheelbase.

Quote:
1. Bigger engine - Size doesn't matter when you compare K seriies with G series.
If that is true than even A-Star is closer to Swift!!

I'm a big fan of TopGear, check out their UK site and see for your self list of rivals to Swift and to Splash which is Ritz.

By the way this is their verdict.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash/Ritz
The Suzuki Splash is a lot better than the old Wagon R+, but it’s still an unnecessarily boxy answer to the small-car question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift
In its Sport guise, the Suzuki Swift is a little tearaway, serving up more fun than its power or price would have you believe. Even the base models are pretty perky.
Swift is described as small Supermini

Quote:
It was actually tough call between Swift and Ritz when I booked my car.
Oh there you go!! You have all the reasons to defend your decision. I'm waiting for delivery of my Fiat GP 1.4 E Pk, but will still defend Swift

Last edited by HammerHead : 8th January 2010 at 22:44.
Old 9th January 2010, 09:52   #24
BHPian

Quote:
If I consider common platform then A-Star joins the competition cause that's too based on the same platform in fact A-Star's wheelbase = Ritz's wheelbase.

If that is true than even A-Star is closer to Swift!!

I'm a big fan of TopGear, check out their UK site and see for your self list of rivals to Swift and to Splash which is Ritz.

By the way this is their verdict.

Swift is described as small Supermini

Oh there you go!! You have all the reasons to defend your decision. I'm waiting for delivery of my Fiat GP 1.4 E Pk, but will still defend Swift
My point was to compare all aspects of Swift and ritz before commenting. You are dissecting my comments to make your own inferences to compare a smaller A star with Ritz.

On K series- As you would know A star's K series engine is smaller and cannot be compared here anyway. Going by your wheelbase logic A star and Swift are close enough too? That point was to explain when comparing wheelbases. Not to short-list all cars with equal wheelbase.

Topgear UK is right to choose a sportier option. A family man would still choose a Ritz over Swift for it's advantages.

On my decision on Ritz- That was to provide my experience on comparing both cars and why I personally found the Ritz on par with Swift and not to defend my decision. Besides I felt that it would also serve as a disclaimer making it clear that I am a Ritz owner. You may refer to my earlier comments on a similar thread where I even mentioned 'disclaimer' or my ownership thread for further details.
I only wanted to provide a logical argument which you may agree or disagree. But I find your last statement with the specific emoticon to be making fun of me I take offense from it. I may also be wrong in my earlier comment that prompted you to respond this way. If that is the case- please accept my apology for it. This will be my last post on this subject.

Last edited by pacman2881 : 9th January 2010 at 09:59.
Old 9th January 2010, 16:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
But I find your last statement with the specific emoticon to be making fun of me I take offense from it. I may also be wrong in my earlier comment that prompted you to respond this way. If that is the case- please accept my apology for it. This will be my last post on this subject.
I apologize if my last statement hurt your sentiments. In no sense it was intended to make fun of you. I used that emoticon as I found it funny to see myself defending a Maruti car!!! though I have put my money on a GP!!

But yeah, Swift is the only car I liked from that manufacturer. Its fun to drive and is capable of doing exactly what it appear to be able to do. IMO appearance play a major role to make you atleast take a look at if not buy.
Old 11th January 2010, 11:31   #26
BHPian

Quote:
I apologize if my last statement hurt your sentiments. In no sense it was intended to make fun of you. I used that emoticon as I found it funny to see myself defending a Maruti car!!! though I have put my money on a GP!!

But yeah, Swift is the only car I liked from that manufacturer. Its fun to drive and is capable of doing exactly what it appear to be able to do. IMO appearance play a major role to make you atleast take a look at if not buy.
I seem to have misread your statement in that case . I am very sorry. I would agree on your last point that looks play a huge part which is seen in the number of swifts sold. My point was with respect to segment to which both belong. Nothing more.

Last edited by pacman2881 : 11th January 2010 at 11:36.

Most Viewed