Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2011, 20:20   #241
BHPian

re: Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!

@ Roy, if you are looking for an absolute 4x4 made for OTRs, then RD may not be what you want. At the same time, RD is none less competent when it comes to OTR trips, plus it is a practical everyday use SUV unlike Thar. And yes when you are on one of those hill station holidays with your kids and the better half, in a Thar (with all the noise, vibrations and that suspension which believes in protecting itself and not the occupants) I am sure your better half will make you feel painstakingly that she is the better half. So comfort is what you get in RD, which we guys do not take very seriously when the adrenalin rush is on, but when it comes to real world use (means the family included), it is very different. Yes if you are single and want to remain that way and want all the attention of the opp. sex on the weekends, then you should buy the Thar.
Old 10th June 2011, 14:36   #242
BHPian

I agree, the original front-grill is simple yet elegant. Well, I did some paint job for the future line ups on Renault Indian web-site and I did try to match them with the cars available on their global web-site.

I am not sure about the two, labeled with the question mark but the one which is speculated to be a Duster, actually matches quite closely to 'Sandero Stepway'.

If it's correct then, I am highly disappointed and will fall back to 'ANHV'.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!-rendering.jpg  

Old 10th June 2011, 16:00   #243
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
unfortunately this misguided sense of "mindless running after a "premium" image" causes most manufacturers to completely ignore this segment - atleast until now.
I hope Renault takes note of this because if the speculated pricing range of 8-12 lacs does indeed come true then it will become a complete category killer! Scorpio and Safari might as well go home and sit in the garage or the great scrap yard in the sky!
In any case being Renault / Dacia and even if it is their cheapest SUV, the fit and finish quality and ergonomics and overall engineering is bound to be better than the stuff we get from M&M and Tata for 15-16 lacs.
Very true! I think almost all manufacturers are in a mad rush to establish themselves as premium brand in India, including the likes of Suzuki and Hyundai. Renault slightly disappointed with the way they handled the diesel Fluence, and the overall pricing. I hope they get it right with the Duster. I feel they deserve a good run in the Indian market (and they have some good, no-nonsense products to back them up).

Shankar, I can almost predict that you will produce the first ownership review of Duster in team-bhp
Old 10th June 2011, 18:30   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaynaphade View Post
I agree, the original front-grill is simple yet elegant. Well, I did some paint job for the future line ups on Renault Indian web-site and I did try to match them with the cars available on their global web-site.

I am not sure about the two, labeled with the question mark but the one which is speculated to be a Duster, actually matches quite closely to 'Sandero Stepway'.

Then in that case which one is the winter 2011?, if I recollect the Renault sales guy very specifically stated that the Duster is coming first and not the small car. See the shape and dimensions of the WINTER 2011 car, looks very much like the Duster. At least the logic from the info I got is that the very next car after Kolios is the Duster.

Last edited by zulfi hansi : 10th June 2011 at 18:55. Reason: mentioned wrong car name
Old 11th June 2011, 20:59   #245
BHPian

Quote:

Hey BTW I remember you said you can wait for 6 months, I think its very much possible that Duster will be here in that time. Now the only big question is how much will it cost. But for you its no big deal, I am sure it will cost lesser than the ANHV for sure. I also understand your urgency, the elegant clean lines of ANHV are so desirable, but what a pity its a Hyundai, a no nonsense everyday car but does not deliver that exclusive identity when it comes to performance. I think you deserve a Duster.
Old 11th June 2011, 21:42   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Well, I did some paint job for the future line ups on Renault Indian web-site and I did try to match them with the cars available on their global web-site.

The vehicle marked for Autumn 2012 launch seems to be the Renault Symbol sedan.

Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!-ui.jpg

Last edited by harishnair : 11th June 2011 at 21:43.
Old 11th June 2011, 23:08   #247
BHPian

Back to the guessing game, if we see the old website chart where they have outlined the cars, it looks very clear the third in line car is the Duster, for sure. Now as per their latest webpage it will come in Summer 2012. That puts my head to rest. The second car in line I am very sure is the Modus / Grand Modus. Bad choice. They will not change cars at this moment so close to the launch but surely might interchange the schedule of launch between what they have lined up for our market. So Modus is going to be their small car for India, weird styling though. More in the segment of Jazz, I hope it does not end up ZZzzzz like the Jazz.
Old 12th June 2011, 06:49   #248
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

probably not, the law of averages and the luck of the draw being what it is. however, i am ready to put down a booking amount immediately if there is clear news and a committment on launch/ delivery.
i do need an SUV for my type of usage and frankly I am quite sick of the Scorpio and Safari breed. am definitely looking for a brand new small-ish SUV and if the Duster falls short of my needs and expectations I m seriously thinking of an used X Trail or Captiva which are about the only ones in the market that meet my requirements in terms of functionality, diesel power and safety gear. I like the tucson but in view of its having been pushed out of the market I would hesitate to buy one now. All the other SUV's are un-necessarily over priced and I simply do not see enough value in them for their asking price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Shankar, I can almost predict that you will produce the first ownership review of Duster in team-bhp
Old 12th June 2011, 09:14   #249
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i do need an SUV for my type of usage and frankly I am quite sick of the Scorpio and Safari breed. am definitely looking for a brand new small-ish SUV and if the Duster falls short of my needs and expectations I m seriously thinking of an used X Trail or Captiva which are about the only ones in the market that meet my requirements in terms of functionality, diesel power and safety gear. I like the tucson but in view of its having been pushed out of the market I would hesitate to buy one now. All the other SUV's are un-necessarily over priced and I simply do not see enough value in them for their asking price.
Very true. A well-refined and safe SUV/Cross-over in or around 10 lakhs is something which is sorely missing in our market. Duster looks like an ideal candidate to fill in there, but at this point there too much of ambiguity on the plans from Renault.

Not sure of X-Trail, but a used Captiva should be a good buy. But being a CBU, even that’s kind of a risk.
Old 12th June 2011, 10:20   #250
Senior - BHPian

Two recently uploaded pics from Dacia's Facebook fan page, can spot chunkier tyres, different rims and body cladding.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!-22639_298212929742_273737584742_3280117_5634015_n.jpg  

Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!-207603_10150186557949743_273737584742_6477428_5328424_n.jpg  

Old 12th June 2011, 13:06   #251
BHPian

Quote:
probably not, the law of averages and the luck of the draw being what it is. however, i am ready to put down a booking amount immediately if there is clear news and a committment on launch/ delivery.
I see that you are a wildlife & nature lover, you already own a Scorpio, and from what you say about it & safari I really agree, even I was on the verge of buying a Scorpio last year, but many people discouraged me.

What is your typical usage, since I am now trying to evaluate if it is what I need. This is a case of my heart desires a 4x4, but my head tells me, no.

BTW will you get a good used X Trail for under 10 Lakhs?
Old 12th June 2011, 19:18   #252
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

yup zulfi
my good friend bought the fully loaded 4wd top end auto transmission scorp this year in feb or something - it cost him 14.65 lacs on road bangalore.
the same foolish vehicle is now costing 15.3 lacs on road bangalore and in my considered opinion as an old M&M customer, it is simply NOT worth it at all.
three years into owning my Standard 2.6 Scorp and believe me I am beginning to feel the bumps on our darling Bangalore roads and am getting tired with its Diesel engine's relatively unrefined feel (in comparison to the more modern ones) and other things. Its a very good vehicle all round no doubt, but I really feel the need for refinement, ergonomics and safety features. this is why I am considering the Duster.
Thing is I refuse to even consider bunging in big bucks for an SUV - 15-20 lacs to me is way too much for this Scorpio and Safari sort of car (as per my personal value system). And it is true that most of our manufacturers are pricing their vehicles unrealistically nowadays. This is why I believe the Duster would hit the sweet spot perfectly. if only they would stop shilly shallying and tell us when it will come and price it right, I would for one, be a happy man.
Used Nissan X Trails (5 years old approx) will cost about 12 lacs in Bangalore. The only thing Im scared of is who has driven the vehicle before and how they've treated its turbo and 4WD system. Else it is a very nice vehicle indeed. The Captiva too is very nice and refined but sadly there are very few 4WD examples out there in the used market. (the LTZ version that is.) Most of the chaps who buy these things brand new appear to be poseurs rather than enthusiasts or real users, if you get what I mean - hence good examples of well kept 4WD SUVs are few and far between.
It is a constant lament of mine that there is absolutely no vehicle which conforms to utilitarian, safe, refined, 4wd, diesel specs at a fair price. It is very clear that a good sized market exists for such a beast and I really do hope Renault sees fit to do something about it real quick! It is only in this market with its often skewed priorities and value systems that a simple UTE becomes some sort of lifestyle statement for the poseurs amongst us! Irritating but unfortunately those sort of creatures are the ones that these manufacturers seem to be interested in going after!
one more year at least it seems for some light at the end of the tunnel in the form of the Korando and Duster etc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
I see that you are a wildlife & nature lover, you already own a Scorpio, and from what you say about it & safari I really agree, even I was on the verge of buying a Scorpio last year, but many people discouraged me.

What is your typical usage, since I am now trying to evaluate if it is what I need. This is a case of my heart desires a 4x4, but my head tells me, no.

BTW will you get a good used X Trail for under 10 Lakhs?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 12th June 2011 at 19:22.
Old 13th June 2011, 11:42   #253
BHPian

Good morning guys, I just hope, you all had a great weekend. Now back to 'Guess Me ?' game. Zulfi, if second one is a 'Modus / Grand Modus' and 4th one is a 'Symbol', then 3rd one definitely looks like a 'Sandero Stepway'.

So where is our 'RD' ? Anyways, things will get clear in coming months around September-October.

Yes, I can wait for another six months, so will take up a call between 'ANHV' (Still love it) & 'RD' (new found passion). Reason behind 'ANHV' is simple, it's a perfect all-rounder. And who cares about handling issues @ speed of 120 Km/h and above, as I am never going to cruise @ that speed.

It's not that I get scared but I do care about my family ,myself and my Father always makes me remember that I am not driving alone on the ‘Road’. The 1.6 SX petrol will cost me around 9.40 Lacs OTR so if ‘RD’ diesel also costs the same, my pick will be the second one.
Old 13th June 2011, 20:01   #254
BHPian

GUYS I HAVE GOOD NEWS & BAD NEWS, had been once again to the dealer today (can't help, its on my way from office to home!). Apart from the fact that I met a very beautiful woman with sparkling brown eyes and a captivating smile, and just as I was wondering what she is doing in this place, the sales guy told me that she is his boss, the manager of the showroom!, so guys if you don't get to see the Duster yet, you will not be disappointed. Well that was not the good news, later on that.

Shocking as it was when she told me that we may have to wait for another minimum of 10 months for the Duster, but since the company is also playing the guessing game with its dealers too, nothing can be said. And have anybody thought why the cars are under wraps? well even Renault is not sure what it will launch and when!, simply because they are still taking feedback from the market. They are already behind schedule for Kolios launch, small car Modus (it is confirmed) will come only by December 2011, so Duster will come only by June 2012 (but all the schedules can change!! Again).

Now the GOOD NEWS, its a mixed bag. All the planed launch cars can be launched at short notice, Renault is very much prepared for it, which is good.

@ ajaynaphade: For you it is both GOOD & BAD news, the good one is that Sandero Stepway is ruled out, and the bad news is that you might have to wait for 1 year for RD.

The BAD NEWS is, though it is only unofficial, the Kolios is in the range of 20Lakhs!!!
and the Duster is in the range of 12 to 15 Lakhs, but this is not official confirmation.

In my opinion all of us will not have to ponder over the price part for long, it will be evident the moment Kolios is launched, we will get almost an accurate idea as to how much the Duster will be priced at.

@ Shankar: You have endured so much that you can pull yourself for some more time. Patients is a virtue!!
zulfi hansi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 09:53   #255
BHPian

Thanks Zulfi, for this 'Breaking News'. Well, for me both are good news, this has actually given me a sense of direction. Now I will not wait 10 months for 'RD' which is supposed to get launched between 12-15 Lacs( I believe, ex-showroom ).

But, when I called up SE last week here in Pune, I was told that 'Koleos' will get launched between Sept-Oct time frame this year @ a very competitive price, between 14-17 Lacs. Well this is actually different from what your Lady said.

Anyways, my budget is between 9-10 Lacs and if these new prices for 'RD' are true, then in that case let me concentrate on 'ANHV'. Renault has just lost a potential customer.

On second thoughts, is it a reasonable price for 'RD' ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks