Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2011, 12:38   #331
BHPian

re: Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
at 15.3 lacs for the top end 4WD Automatic I do feel that the Scorpio is un-necessarily over priced. It is not worth that kind of money whatever anyone may say.
the duster even if priced at an equivalent rate will offer a much better handling package with better quality engineering and electronics and safety etc.
while it is nice to hope that the duster will come in at a competitive sub 14 L price on road, it is difficult to be sure till the company releases more info. of course the Duster will be smaller than the Scorp - a proper 5 seat high GC mini SUV with luggage space.
This is in a way filling in a niche segment and from what I can see a major shake down is expected in this segment of under 10L SUVs. With only 2 players it was a easy for them, but not to forget TATA has already started the price war against Scorpio and it has shown handsome results.
I feel the Duster will not be a wannabe 7 seater towards Scorpio, also it offers different qualities which Scorpio can never give, yet Duster will never appeal to many die hard Scorpio fans, for what ever joy it gives them. Duster will address a segment which was never before seriously considered and IMHO Scorpio was a stone age attempt which is obsolete by far, we need that much needed upgrade and Duster promises that.
Also the fact that Renault knows very well that if there is a price war induced M&M can very well bring down the prices of Scorpio and substantially too. M&M has already recovered all its R&D cost on Scorpio by now, in such situation Renault cannot go wrong with its pricing in the first place, that too with a 5 seater, other qualities not withstanding in our market so far. 14 L OTR for top end 4x4 for duster will be too high, 12 L OTR is justifiable.
Old 26th June 2011, 15:26   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaynaphade View Post
Anyways, my budget is between 9-10 Lacs and if these new prices for 'RD' are true, then in that case let me concentrate on 'ANHV'. Renault has just lost a potential customer.
If you have decided not wait for the Duster and inclined towards the ANHV then you should take a serious look at the new Fiesta.

By far the best video of Duster I've seen. Enjoy.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th June 2011 at 19:43. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 26th June 2011, 18:52   #333
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

I used to be a die hard Scorp person since at that point there was absolutely nothing else with the same kind of utility value at the price.
however, 3 years on, I, like a lot of others, have obviously evolved too, in my need set.
hence things like the Duster are becoming more attractive.
I m not sure I will wait for another year or year and a half because much as I appreciate what my Scorp does for me, I am getting pretty sick of it as of now.
might consider a good used Tucson or a good used X Trail instead. Im also slowly considering moving away into the used car market rather than keep buying brand new. Prefer to let the first owner take the brunt of the depreciation and so on and I can take the benefit of that.
now as you say, if that Duster comes into India at 12 lacs OTR BLR for the top end version then it will be very well worth it. However as of now it seems more like wishful thinking, in the absence of any indication from the company so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
I feel the Duster will not be a wannabe 7 seater towards Scorpio, also it offers different qualities which Scorpio can never give, yet Duster will never appeal to many die hard Scorpio fans, for what ever joy it gives them. Duster will address a segment which was never before seriously considered and IMHO Scorpio was a stone age attempt which is obsolete by far, we need that much needed upgrade and Duster promises that.
14 L OTR for top end 4x4 for duster will be too high, 12 L OTR is justifiable.
Old 26th June 2011, 19:36   #334
Team-BHP Support

Pricing would directly depend on the percentage of localization of parts.
Even if initial coverage is low, and if Renault has a long term vision for this market in this part of the world, they should price it well in spite of that.
Old 26th June 2011, 23:07   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Pricing would directly depend on the percentage of localization of parts.
Even if initial coverage is low, and if Renault has a long term vision for this market in this part of the world, they should price it well in spite of that.
Rightly said, they cannot afford o price it beyond its real value forget about making it a premium offering, if that was the case they would have not got the Koleos at all in the first place. That apart it is yet to be seen at what price Koleos will be valued at.
Old 26th June 2011, 23:17   #336
BHPian

Quote:
might consider a good used Tucson or a good used X Trail instead. Im also slowly considering moving away into the used car market rather than keep buying brand new. Prefer to let the first owner take the brunt of the depreciation and so on and I can take the benefit of that.
I can understand your plight at this moment. We know that Duster fits your bill spot on, but if your budget is OK with Koleos (considering it is at 16-18L), how do you compare both. Because we still do not have any worthwhile car that is in between the Scorpio/Safari and the Fortuner/Endeavor/X-Trail. Tucson I am not considering cos there is no replacement planed for it as of now. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 26th June 2011, 23:35   #337
Team-BHP Support

Sorry to bring in other company cars into this thread, but we also need to watch out for the Korando from M&M. Not sure where they plan to pitch that one in to the Indian market.

Dr. Pawan Goenka I think already mentioned on CNB show some time back that they do have the plan to bring in Korando which is also exactly like Duster. If it comes in as CKD/CBU, it would priced quite high.

So the ones in comparison: (By Size and not by price)

Duster-Korando-Koleos-Yeti (Which are confirmed for India)

Eco-Sport/Kuga (One of them should make it by 2013 as per Ford announcements).

So finally it would a price war between these guys. Take the Yeti and Koleos fight to a different segment. Korando would be a bit higher than the Duster but similar levels I guess.
Old 27th June 2011, 01:00   #338
Senior - BHPian

If I remember correctly, I read in an automag quoting Pawan Goenka, that the Korando will be priced above the Mahindra world suv. Most likely it will be assembled from SKDs and not manufactured here.

The real pricing strategy by Renault will show when they launch a product which is being manufactured in India, with a high localisation content. Fluence or Koleos pricing won't show how far can Renault play, for that we'll have to wait till 2012 IMHO.
Old 27th June 2011, 06:50   #339
BANNED

koleos is likely to be expensive again in keeping with renault wanting to establish their "premiumness" and "euro" tag in India -it may possibly be priced around the captiva level - ex showroom around 17 ish which will make it 20+ on road.
korando I have no clue about but if I were to make a choice between Korean Korando and European derived Duster at roughly the same pricing levels, I know that I would prefer the Duster.
as you say the used Tucson is tempting at 8 ish but no idea how nicely it will be looked after and how long it will last. X Trail is nice but basis my evaluation of an used one yesterday Im finding it a bit big. also there is a very well kept Endy 4WD 2.5 old chain drive turbo engine on sale at a nice price but I ve always found the Endy too big for daily usage - add this to the fact that the second row is pretty uncomfy and I dont think its worth buying the Endy.
on the renault website I cant understand what sort of car they are launching in Autumn 2011 and which one is coming in Winter 2011 - the shapes are confusing to me.

Quote:
I can understand your plight at this moment. We know that Duster fits your bill spot on, but if your budget is OK with Koleos (considering it is at 16-18L), how do you compare both. Because we still do not have any worthwhile car that is in between the Scorpio/Safari and the Fortuner/Endeavor/X-Trail. Tucson I am not considering cos there is no replacement planed for it as of now. Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 27th June 2011 at 06:52.
Old 27th June 2011, 19:55   #340
BHPian

Quote:
on the renault website I cant understand what sort of car they are launching in Autumn 2011 and which one is coming in Winter 2011 - the shapes are confusing to me.
We have gone through this before, so much so that I decided to get the info from the dealer itself. From what they know Autumn 2011 is for sure the Koleos, which is here by Sep 2011, and the Winter 2011 (this schedule may stretch by 1-2 months, may spill over to Jan 2012) is going to be a small car, could be Clio or sandero, and Summer 2012 is the Duster. And there is also a possibility they may interchange the scheduling of the small car with Duster. Cos launching a small car in our market needs a lot of ground work and infa in place, and if they are not prepared by then for a small car, they might as well launch the Duster first.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 20:00   #341
Team-BHP Support

Thanks. That is good info. So there are slim chances that Duster may land faster than we may be thinking. That is good news indeed!
Old 27th June 2011, 21:45   #342
BANNED

will believe it when I see it.
perhaps its worth waiting for this rather than jump now and dump the scorp and buy something else

Quote:
We have gone through this before, so much so that I decided to get the info from the dealer itself. From what they know Autumn 2011 is for sure the Koleos, which is here by Sep 2011, and the Winter 2011 (this schedule may stretch by 1-2 months, may spill over to Jan 2012) is going to be a small car, could be Clio or sandero, and Summer 2012 is the Duster. And there is also a possibility they may interchange the scheduling of the small car with Duster. Cos launching a small car in our market needs a lot of ground work and infa in place, and if they are not prepared by then for a small car, they might as well launch the Duster first.
Old 28th June 2011, 11:27   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Thanks, is this car always parked or is it undergoing testing? Also is it camouflaged?
This car does undergo testing too , but is for a different sort of testing (cant reveal on this thread). Lets say its something to do with the engine. Could be a possibility that "it" may be adapted to global Dusters too.
It is very heavily camo'ed. Cant see even a single body panel or even what colour it is.
Old 28th June 2011, 13:08   #344
Senior - BHPian

@sajo: You had earlier mentioned/ indicated in this thread that they are running fuel efficiency tests on the petrol variants
Old 28th June 2011, 13:10   #345
Senior - BHPian

@ashutoshb : Yep, engine and FE tests. But it could be anything you know, maybe even its future global USP..!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed