Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2011, 12:14   #421
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!

dont forget the Scorp is a large, heavy beast whereas the Duster is considerably lighter. Hence I dont think the less power thingy will be an issue.
Also, lets not forget that this is a compact SUV and hence ought not to be driven like a sedan, cornering at very high speeds etc.
For me if its got enough torque to pull one out of trouble in a slushy situation, thats a good point in its favour.
Being a cousin of the Nissan, I dont think anyone need have serious concerns on it being underpowered and gut less etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.G View Post
Thanks sarmarishi for the updates.

I am following this thread for sometime and most of my questions and concerns are shared and answered here already.

But this one seemed to have got no attention.

Terribly underpowered than scropio is a real concern here. Why is it so?

That will be a serious let down for me.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 12:58   #422
Senior - BHPian

Well, given all the uncertainty about the Duster, and the longer wait, that many are apprehensive of, I have gone ahead, and picked up a Moderately Used "Fxxxx Gxxxxx 4x4". :-D
I may not have taken this step, if there were some firm expectations set from Renault, but that didn't happen. :-(

The Thar, Bolero, Scorpio or Safari could never have given me what I Wanted (deliberately not using the word - Needed), and I am too poor for the Yeti. Will post updates on the relevant thread soon...
Old 16th August 2011, 17:12   #423
BANNED

Force Gurkha then?
wish you all the best. hope it gives you some good usage and zero trouble!
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Well, given all the uncertainty about the Duster, and the longer wait, that many are apprehensive of, I have gone ahead, and picked up a Moderately Used "Fxxxx Gxxxxx 4x4". :-D
I may not have taken this step, if there were some firm expectations set from Renault, but that didn't happen. :-(

The Thar, Bolero, Scorpio or Safari could never have given me what I Wanted (deliberately not using the word - Needed), and I am too poor for the Yeti. Will post updates on the relevant thread soon...
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 19:53   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Q5 is one such - Audi reduced prices by a less than 1,5 Lac when they shifted assembling to India 2 years back - I am sure they must have increased this to CBU prices by now again - I tried to know the reasons from dealer who gave vague reasons . I agree with mxx

Recent example will be BMW - selling 530 D close to Rs 50 Lac & 730 D at around 75 Lac ( after discounts ) If you check international pricing say in UK this difference is OK but what happens to so called savings via CKD as 530D is manufactured here whereas they get 7 Series from Germany .

I feel that manufacturers here sell at prices what they deem fit there Target customers can pay because of less options - though we have almost all major manufactures but one look at there lineup viasvis there global range will give you a fair idea how is the competition . The only cars that we get cheaper than Europe or US are the one where manufacturers have got in tough fight with each other say Hatchbacks - a look at Swift UK & Indian rates will give you an idea ( though Indian one is short of few safety features )
Rightly pointed out. Many hunt for profits as we have less choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
Guys.. sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I just got news from my source at Renault and summer 2012 is indeed the Duster launch, but thats not actually the bad news.

Its going to be launched in the 4X2 avatar and not the 4X4. Infact even market response has shown that people want a 4X4 but the management is, at this point, going ahead with the 4X2 option. The strategy team is trying to convince them that they need to launch the 4X4 as well. So I am guessing its going to be another Fluence story where they forgot to get a lower variant for the petrol and a higher variant for the diesel.

And from what he said its terribly underpowered if you compare it to the scorps! They are trying to overcome this by saying thats its an SUV with the interior and comfort of a sedan!

Price range for 4X2 is going to be below 9l (top variant of 4X2 will be this 9l), if I heard it right Thats good news right! and that they might be offering options in lower variants for ABS, etc.
Some good information from your side and yes 4X4 is needed in India. Hope they don't think we are not worth it and stop with 4X2.

The Duster being just around 1250 kgs, 85bhp will be just about adequate but 105bhp is a must!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
dont forget the Scorp is a large, heavy beast whereas the Duster is considerably lighter. Hence I dont think the less power thingy will be an issue.
Also, lets not forget that this is a compact SUV and hence ought not to be driven like a sedan, cornering at very high speeds etc.
For me if its got enough torque to pull one out of trouble in a slushy situation, thats a good point in its favour.
Being a cousin of the Nissan, I dont think anyone need have serious concerns on it being underpowered and gut less etc.
+1 to that.
Old 17th August 2011, 15:49   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post

@ Roy and All,

Autocar India, in it's August 2011 edition, has printed that Renault has confirmed the Duster to be launched between 2nd half and end of Dec 2012. There is no more uncertaininty now.

We could also give the discussions a rest, if needed, as the launch is a long way away from now.

Cheers,
ajay K
Old 26th August 2011, 18:50   #426
BANNED

I understand that the base Duster will take on the Scorp and Safari head to head. it is likely to land up first in 2WD at a highly competitive price and without many of the bells and whistles that are pretty standard on the Europe spec.
However, this may be followed with a top spec 4WD which has most of the EURO features but at a higher price.
I also understand that it is quite small and rugged-ish, but not as well appointed overall as the Hyundai Tucson for example. Hence it might be more like a poor man's Yeti or poor man's Tucson give or take.
However, being inherently better engineered and finished well plus with its monocoque chassis and better handling, it will certainly give the Scorpio, Safari and Force One a run for their money - especially in the urban scenario where a 5 seater SUV would be considered sufficient.
It is also likely to steal away some market share from the upper mid hatchbacks and sedans on account of its SUV nature and our proven propensity for SUV type vehicles in India. Of course the lovely 210 mm GC will be a big help in these horrible road conditions of ours.
Speculation on pricing state 8-9 lacs approx which put it straight into the Scorpio territory. It is indicated that their top spec if and when it comes through will also be fairly priced at around 13-14 ish on road. If it does indeed prove true, then it will undoubtedly be good value for money.
However, having to wait for another 12 months to get a hold of one, may see many prospective buyers migrating elsewhere in the time.
Renault should have come in with its Koleos with a simultaneous launch of the Fluence. Then they should have got in the Duster and simultaneously their small car as well - this way they would have effectively plugged most of the loop holes in the market in a shorter time frame and thus given themselves a solid foundation for short and medium term growth as well as turned around their image in the marketplace completely, creating aspiration and desire where there was none before!
They should have also created their sales and service network in tandem.
They are quite late entrants and the market is constantly evolving as are expectations. They would have done very well indeed to cash in on the hunger and ever burgeoning demand for a smart utility vehicle in the price range of 8-14 lacs.
But there's many a slip between cup and lip (read concept to execution) as we all know!!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 26th August 2011 at 18:52.
Old 26th August 2011, 19:24   #427
Team-BHP Support

The problem with the simultaneous release is, if they hit jackpot with numbers, what happens to the service network? They dont have much at this point.

Thats the only reason, I think they are taking it up slowly. They would bring the potential volume segment when they have the service network to back it up.
Old 26th August 2011, 19:28   #428
BHPian

The performance of Force 1 in our market will also affect the decisions at Renault. At present they must be working on the pricing of Koleos in contrast with the 1. That said, I do not see them getting urgent on the Duster. Renault has learnt little of our market in such a long time, its high time they learn that slow n steady will not win any races here. They should stop thinking of chasing and start thinking of being the initiator, the one who start first will always have the advantage of being first until they mess it up by not evolving.
Old 26th August 2011, 21:34   #429
BANNED

i think ampere's point is a very sensible one. Yes the service network has to be in place prior to the entry into the higher volume segment. But this is also what I mentioned - I wish they had begun their journey into India atleast one year before they actually have done! So ampere are you hanging in there for the Duster?
Speaking for myself, I might not be bothered to wait one more year.
Old 26th August 2011, 21:55   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan
So ampere are you hanging in there for the Duster?
Which cars are you considering? I think I am in the same boat as you but thinking of delaying my next car till the market clears up a bit more.

It's hard to find a followup to my Fusion.
Old 26th August 2011, 23:33   #431
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i think ampere's point is a very sensible one. Yes the service network has to be in place prior to the entry into the higher volume segment. But this is also what I mentioned - I wish they had begun their journey into India atleast one year before they actually have done! So ampere are you hanging in there for the Duster?
Shankar,

As I mentioned to you, I have another year to go. The only reason I started thinking so early, was because in case,
I had to fall out of Duster, I would end up with a Diesel sedan. And if that turns out with 4-5 month waiting period,
I need to start early. (A long shot? )

But yes, I am hanging in there for the Duster. And I am also very much OK with the 2WD version.
If they make it plush and add the gadgets, I don't mind shelling that extra bit as well.
Ideal upgrade to the Fusion!

@Fusion2006, Same problem here. I am not able to find myself an ideal upgrade.

If I leave the Duster, the main one to look is the lower specced at 1.6D Yeti if possible,.
Else I would be back to the regular diesel sedan market. (Linea/Fiesta/Vento)

Last edited by ampere : 26th August 2011 at 23:36.
Old 27th August 2011, 11:19   #432
BANNED

no idea what to do
thinking used X trail or Tucson for now - use it for another 2-3 years and then look at something else.
I m not sure that the Duster is going to meet my expectations in terms of all bells and whistles because there is a lot of chatter about it being down specced and brought in with 2WD so as to take on the Scorp and Safari etc. I also hear that 4WD may not be in the first flush and hence Im apprehensive because I will only buy this vehicle if all my requirements are met in terms of functionality, safety, fit and finish. Else I wont go near it.

right now theres nothing in the market which suits me except the Yeti Elegance. But I still somehow feel that 21 lacs for that is expensive. I cant get around that feeling.
Im not even remotely considering the 24-28 lac bracket because I just cant stomach the idea that something which costs around 12-14 lacs abroad, is priced so high here in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
Which cars are you considering? I think I am in the same boat as you but thinking of delaying my next car till the market clears up a bit more.

It's hard to find a followup to my Fusion.
Old 27th August 2011, 12:29   #433
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
no idea what to do
thinking used X trail or Tucson for now - use it for another 2-3 years and then look at something else.
I read in some other thread that Nissan is soon coming up with the CKD versions of X-Trail and the Teana, and the X-Trail could retail for less than 20 lakhs. Maybe thats something you want to consider as an alternative to the ever-delaying Duster.
Old 27th August 2011, 12:56   #434
BANNED

soon means when? Certainly cant be in the very near future else we would have had quite a bit of noise and internet chatter by now dont you think?
the current X trail top spec sells at almost 30 on road bangalore. do you really feel that it could come below 20 or even around 20? I have some doubt on this. It may take some more time - say atleast another 3 years for these manufacturers to realize the huge potential that exists for a high quality, well engineered, safe SUV in this 8 lacs to 20lacs segment and then start realizing the same.
the price wars will happen most certainly - only variable here is when will they happen and does one have the patience to wait for it to happen. Speaking for myself, as of now, I dont have that kind of patience. Also I am finding my Scorpio quite tiresome and relatively crude. Am yearning for something better and quickly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I read in some other thread that Nissan is soon coming up with the CKD versions of X-Trail and the Teana, and the X-Trail could retail for less than 20 lakhs. Maybe thats something you want to consider as an alternative to the ever-delaying Duster.
Old 27th August 2011, 13:09   #435
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
soon means when? Certainly cant be in the very near future else we would have had quite a bit of noise and internet chatter by now dont you think?
the current X trail top spec sells at almost 30 on road bangalore. do you really feel that it could come below 20 or even around 20? I have some doubt on this. It may take some more time - say atleast another 3 years for these manufacturers to realize the huge potential that exists for a high quality, well engineered, safe SUV in this 8 lacs to 20lacs segment and then start realizing the same.
the price wars will happen most certainly - only variable here is when will they happen and does one have the patience to wait for it to happen. Speaking for myself, as of now, I dont have that kind of patience. Also I am finding my Scorpio quite tiresome and relatively crude. Am yearning for something better and quickly!
Let me look out for that post. If coming in an CKD, around 20 lakhs is quite a possibility. Otherwise, it looks like Yeti is the only option you have at this moment.

Note: If I get hold of that post, I will PM you the link. This discussion maybe OT here
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks