Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2011, 11:47   #451
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strips007 View Post
More good news:
India to be exclusive manufacturing and export hub for Renault's SUV Duster - The Economic Times

Fair use qoutes:
"India will be the exclusive manufacturing hub for all the right hand drive markets for Duster"
"Price 8-10lakhs"
Not sure whether it’s a good news for domestic market in India :(

IMO Renault seems more focussed on the export than the domestic market in India. The two recent launches were not encouraging. The dealership network is also very thin.
Old 12th September 2011, 14:13   #452
BHPian

One of the main things which I feel the duster lacks is the size. Just size and stance wise Scorpio is much more intimidating than the duster but that is just IMHO. Dont get me wrong here the duster is a very good product and Im myself contempllationg about it, though not now, sometime down the line. The looks are subjective but I like them, if it has the typical traits of european vehicles then It should be a really good product.

If priced below or near by 9L(ex-showroom delhi) it should sell in good numbers predominantly because,

1) The SUV segment below the 10 L bracket has perpetually been controlled by TATA and Mahindra, this will be a refreshing change,

2) The fit and finish, I PRESUME to be better than the Scorpios/Sumos and Safaris,

3) In this price bracket I feel is people are more eager about the price to features ratio and comfort factors so I doubt if the 1.5 dci will be a deterrent to buyers,

4) Unlike one of the posts I read which mentioned the weight as 1800 kgs, from what I read the weight would be around 1200 kgs which seems to be pretty decent.

Last edited by MihirC : 12th September 2011 at 14:16.
Old 13th September 2011, 00:37   #453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
More good news:Fair use qoutes:
"India will be the exclusive manufacturing hub for all the right hand drive markets for Duster"
"Price 8-10lakhs"
I guess this is really a good news. So they are going to manufacture the SUV in India itself. Now they have everything set for pricing the Duster really competitively. Hope they don't do a blunder like the Fluence or Koleos. And if they are looking at volumes from this car, please... sub 10L pricing. Also please set up a decent number of A$$ by then !
Old 13th September 2011, 00:49   #454
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
More good news:
India to be exclusive manufacturing and export hub for Renault's SUV Duster - The Economic Times

Fair use qoutes:
"Price 8-10lakhs"
That is some concrete information. Thank you for posting.

The Duster will be a suitable replacement for the Fusion. I hope Renault prices the Duster well or else, the car would be busy catching dust in the showrooms.
Old 13th September 2011, 07:06   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
One of the main things which I feel the duster lacks is the size. Just size and stance wise Scorpio is much more intimidating than the duster but that is just IMHO.
Agree on the size here. On the positive note the smaller size should assist significantly in day to day city driving and tight parkings.
Old 13th September 2011, 07:24   #456
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

this will definitely change the game if the spec is good vis a vis the Scorp.
It will become the Yeti for the value conscious buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Agree on the size here. On the positive note the smaller size should assist significantly in day to day city driving and tight parkings.
Old 13th September 2011, 09:58   #457
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One of the main things which I feel the duster lacks is the size. Just size and stance wise Scorpio is much more intimidating than the duster but that is just IMHO.
But I guess that is the main advantage, which we are all looking for.
A go anywhere product, which drives well in the city as well and which does not get
stuck on a narrow road.

Quote:
3) In this price bracket I feel is people are more eager about the price to features ratio and comfort factors so I doubt if the 1.5 dci will be a deterrent to buyers,
For its size, this engine should suffice, if they can get good torque out of it.
Another item which I would like to see, is good noise insulation. For a
good urban driving, this would be a very good clincher as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
+1. This is what I also meant.
Old 13th September 2011, 10:02   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
A go anywhere product, which drives well in the city as well and which does not get
stuck on a narrow road.
I Agree. Smaller Size is the advantage i am seeing in Duster and this will be one of the key differentiation (along with right price) among the other SUVs.
Old 13th September 2011, 11:58   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
stuck on a narrow road.

For its size, this engine should suffice, if they can get good torque out of it.
Another item which I would like to see, is good noise insulation. For a
good urban driving, this would be a very good clincher as well.

+1. This is what I also meant.
Couldnt agree more with you there, for the size the 105 bhp engine is good enough, the torque is estimated to be @24kgm which seems to be good for both city and highway runs.

It has the potential to set the cat amongst the pigeons, unlike Fluence which already had competion from more or less every manufacturer this one can be a game changer and a segment first in many aspects. I feel Renault should go all out with respect to the features and price and service network.

Duster in all probablity could be the first Renault for masses, something which Renault has not yet been able to do as of yet.

Last edited by MihirC : 13th September 2011 at 12:02.
Old 13th September 2011, 12:39   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Couldnt agree more with you there, for the size the 105 bhp engine is good enough, the torque is estimated to be @24kgm which seems to be good for both city and highway runs.

It has the potential to set the cat amongst the pigeons, unlike Fluence which already had competion from more or less every manufacturer this one can be a game changer and a segment first in many aspects. I feel Renault should go all out with respect to the features and price and service network.

Duster in all probablity could be the first Renault for masses, something which it has not yet been able to do.
+1.
Currently under 12L we only have Safari, Scorpio and Innova and all three are a tad too big for city driving IMO. With due respect to Tata and M&M, they still have a long way to go compared with the international brands in terms of QA.

There is a strong case for an urban SUV/MUV with a decent engine and international spec safety and other features.

Come 2012, we will have two options - Ertiga and Duster .
Old 13th September 2011, 14:48   #461
BHPian

Every thing is alright until and unless they try to sell this car with ~100% premium compare to other market. As the duster is being produced in India I believe the company will not have the excuse for Indian High TAX structure. 10L should be the top variant OTR.
Addition to that they also should setup min 50 Service Network before they launch the car. Thats means you can get the car serviced in all Tier II city.
Old 19th September 2011, 13:26   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
Every thing is alright until and unless they try to sell this car with ~100% premium compare to other market. As the duster is being produced in India I believe the company will not have the excuse for Indian High TAX structure. 10L should be the top variant OTR.
Exactly my thoughts, it all boils down to price and I hope wise-ness prevails over them, good actually that they have already launched 2 cars of which one has failed miserably, the second is in the waiting and yet they do not see it written all over the wall, so now the small car on its way, I would love to see them do another mistake hoping that they learn at least from the 3rd mistake. Only then we have hope that Duster will come at 10L OTR (4x4 top variant). All said and done my heart is all on to wishful thinking, but my head tells me, the guys at Renault are bigger idiots than the ones at Ford.
Old 19th September 2011, 21:10   #463
Senior - BHPian

The Bolero is priced just right for the numbers game. Even at 10L OTR, it will be difficult to get numbers beyond 12K/year. If it is 4x4 diesel, then may be a few Scorpio and Bolero buyers may be tempted, but price it higher and we may have another Yeti wanabe, competing with Fiat numbers rather than M&M, Tata or Toyota 4x4.
Old 20th September 2011, 06:57   #464
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Renault largely IS for the masses outside of India. It is only here that they are trying to fiddle about in the "premium" game.

Quote:
Duster in all probablity could be the first Renault for masses, something which Renault has not yet been able to do as of yet.
Old 20th September 2011, 07:49   #465
Senior - BHPian

Today Hindu is carrying the ad for the Koleos.
Lets wait for a team-bhp review.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks