Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2011, 21:10   #601
Senior - BHPian

Surprising, in one of the auto shows a couple of days back the Renault India CEO mentioned clearly that Duster will come.
Old 6th November 2011, 22:47   #602
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Looks like the Duster is not going to see the light of day India .. Just saw the "Range of Cars" section on Renault cars in India and here is what it shows: -

Looks like they have removed the Duster from their 5 products to be launched in India .. :(
Doesn't the car under wraps with a title SUMMER 2012, seem to be like a Duster? It surely is not a hatchback neither a sedan, then the only option remaining is a SUV/ crossover. Why do you think it is not the Duster as expected
Old 6th November 2011, 22:51   #603
Senior - BHPian

This Oct 29 press release clearly mentions the Duster will follow the launch of the Pulse.
ashutoshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2011, 05:08   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Looks like the Duster is not going to see the light of day India .. Just saw the "Range of Cars" section on Renault cars in India and here is what it shows: -

Looks like they have removed the Duster from their 5 products to be launched in India .. :(
They need better web managers. The shape of the cars under wrap was confusing from the start. They have clarified that Duster will come to India.

Last edited by C300 : 7th November 2011 at 05:08. Reason: Formatting
Old 7th November 2011, 22:42   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Doesn't the car under wraps with a title SUMMER 2012, seem to be like a Duster? It surely is not a hatchback neither a sedan, then the only option remaining is a SUV/ crossover. Why do you think it is not the Duster as expected
Reason is simple, the Duster does not have an almost flat rear as seen in the under the wraps pic on the website. I might be wrong, but to me it surely does not look like duster in anyway (unless something is cooking in th backgroud, probably a new design ... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
They need better web managers. The shape of the cars under wrap was confusing from the start. They have clarified that Duster will come to India.
Yup .. I agree! maybe they want to create kind of confusion!!! too bad ..
Old 8th November 2011, 06:56   #606
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

from all accounts and some information, I believe the Duster will only land up in June-July 2012.
Also, there are some shadows of doubt whether at all they will bring in the 4WD for us here. India is more of a poser market than an utility oriented one - especially when it comes to SUV's. Hence, Renault might also take the tried and tested route rather than forging a new path by bringing in only the 2WD version.
They want to compete very badly in the entry SUV segment - which means that they will be going head to head with the Scorpio, Safari, Merlin, Ford EcoSport etc. With the introduction of this entry level urban SUV with high GC and pretty good bad road ability even in its 2WD avatar, the Duster will prove to be a possible alternative for people buying Sedans too - especially given the state of our roads and driving surfaces. This way they can create greater brand relevance in our country amongst the mass consumers.
The one thing that could hit them a bit (and hit everyone else as well) is this likely introduction of the special Diesel vehicle excise/ tax for private buyers.
Which, if it is indeed introduced, will effectively mean that one will have to hang on to ones new Diesel car for a lot longer, to make up the difference in the initial price.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 8th November 2011 at 06:57.
Old 8th November 2011, 17:01   #607
Senior - BHPian

What is that Sedan for Autumn 2012? :-) It looks big!
Old 8th November 2011, 18:25   #608
Senior - BHPian

When I met some Renault nissan engineers in Delhi airport recently, they did confirm that the Duster will be launched in the first half of 2012 and the engine would be the logan's DCI unit with more power, may be 90 bhp. I have a feeling that they might show case this in the 2012 auto expo and start taking formal bookings by March 2012.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2011, 18:02   #609
Senior - BHPian

Duster is available in countries like Syria, then I fail to understand why is it taking so long for Renault to bring this vehicle to India. Below if the link to the 9 page pdf brochure of Duster.

http://renault.com.sy/CountriesData/...res/Duster.pdf
Old 9th November 2011, 18:17   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Duster is available in countries like Syria, then I fail to understand why is it taking so long for Renault to bring this vehicle to India. Below if the link to the 9 page pdf brochure of Duster.

http://renault.com.sy/CountriesData/...res/Duster.pdf
A market like Syria is a different ballgame. Syria is closer (If exported from France/Romania), cars are not manufactured there and the likely volumes are lesser than in India.

Here they have to setup supply chains and manufacturing lines.
Old 9th November 2011, 18:22   #611
Senior - BHPian

More I see Renault's recent actions I feel this is going to be another overpriced dud from them.
Old 9th November 2011, 19:43   #612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
More I see Renault's recent actions I feel this is going to be another overpriced dud from them.
True! I had high hopes on seeing their 5 new models strategy. They were promising to say the least. But look at what we have got-
>Fluence- Good design and looks luxurious, but why a stripped down Diesel? In a diesel specific market? Logan lesson wasn't enough probably.
>Koleos- Looks ok sort, is decently well equipped but the pricing? Yikes! But we'll discount it as it is probably intended to be a Brand building exercise.
> "All New Hatch - the Pulse" Hey come on, If Indians are fools is the inference from your market study, I'm sorry we are definitely NOT! The Pulse killed the hopes I had on Renault, now my mind keeps saying, the Duster will be no different.
Old 9th November 2011, 20:04   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
True! I had high hopes on seeing their 5 new models strategy. They were promising to say the least. But look at what we have got-
The Pulse killed the hopes I had on Renault, now my mind keeps saying, the Duster will be no different.
I have a slightly different take on this. The initial 3 products introduced by Renualt can be labelled as premium products (if we compare then with the other cars in that segment). Renault never expected these products to bring in the sales figures, but they wanted to showcase their technological might & also gauge the market response. They wanted to buy this time to expand their dealer network. Carlos Ghosn, as we all know, is a very shrewd CEO & he wanted to build the supporting infrastructure & spread awareness about the Renault brand (don't we see the print ads in newspapers these days where Renault mentions that they are the engine suppliers to the Work Champion Red Bull Racing Team). When the ground is set launch the mass marker product, the Duster. He also knows that India is a very price sensitive market & he cannot afford to price the Duster too ambitiously.

All in all I am hoping that Renault Duster, if priced correctly, can be the king of the entry level SUV segment.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 9th November 2011 at 20:05.
Old 9th November 2011, 20:14   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a slightly different take on this. The initial 3 products introduced by Renualt can be labelled as premium products (if we compare then with the other cars in that segment). Renault never expected these products to bring in the sales figures, but they wanted to showcase their technological might & also gauge the market response. They wanted to buy this time to expand their dealer network. Carlos Ghosn, as we all know, is a very shrewd CEO & he wanted to build the supporting infrastructure & spread awareness about the Renault brand (don't we see the print ads in newspapers these days where Renault mentions that they are the engine suppliers to the Work Champion Red Bull Racing Team). When the ground is set launch the mass marker product, the Duster. He also knows that India is a very price sensitive market & he cannot afford to price the Duster too ambitiously.

All in all I am hoping that Renault Duster, if priced correctly, can be the king of the entry level SUV segment.
While definitely not questioning the ability of Carlos Ghosn, I think Renault could have done better. I agree completely with your poin that they are looking for brand building and network expansion currently But I also think, the Pulse is not such a premium car so as to build the brand, neither is it a product that will bring in numbers for them. Most might even recognize it as a Micra on the roads! So that is where I feel a true "All new hatch" could have been their trump card to make everybody take notice of whats cooking at Renaults factory.
Old 9th November 2011, 21:08   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a slightly different take on this. The initial 3 products introduced by Renualt can be labelled as premium products (if we compare then with the other cars in that segment).
By no stretch of imagination can the products launched by Renault be called premium - overpriced maybe, but definitely not premium. Yes you are right in saying that they are trying to build the 'premium' value of their brand - but seriously doubt whether the vehicles launched conveys the same
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks