Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2011, 00:37   #646
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!

This month's ACI says Duster would come in 5 trims. The diesel would also come in 85 and 110 bhp versions with the same 1.5L diesel engine. The top of the line would have the 110 bhp version.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd November 2011 at 00:38.
Old 22nd November 2011, 11:16   #647
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This month's ACI says Duster would come in 5 trims. The diesel would also come in 85 and 110 bhp versions with the same 1.5L diesel engine. The top of the line would have the 110 bhp version.

85 BHP SUV.
Looks like Tata Sumo and Bolero are going to have tough time.
Old 22nd November 2011, 12:59   #648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
85 BHP SUV.
Looks like Tata Sumo and Bolero are going to have tough time.
I don't think 85 BHP engine would make a 1.16 tonne SUV underpowered, it would be just OK (The Duster 4X2 tips the scale @ 1160kg). The similarly weighing Fiesta classic, Logan have even lower BHP engines, but no would deny the fact that they have good driveability.

The 2 tonner Sumos & Boleros of this world are different species altogether, lets not compare the Duster to these.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 22nd November 2011 at 13:00.
Old 22nd November 2011, 13:48   #649
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

ah so you beat me to it - getting the ACI. I cant find one in our neighbourhood shop - have you bought all of them or what?

is there any info on 4WD in the top spec?
from all accounts they arent launching 4WD yet - at least in the initial launch stage.

cheers
sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Old 22nd November 2011, 14:17   #650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
is there any info on 4WD in the top spec?
from all accounts they arent launching 4WD yet - at least in the initial launch stage.

cheers
sb
So Shankar, you too opted out of the Duster. Yeti is fantastic, and frankly IMHO for a person who can afford a Yeti, the Duster hardly makes any sense.
At one point I thought that you would perhaps, book the first Duster that rolled out, but although Renault lost out on that business, this thread still has you as it's champion.
Even I was saving my kitty for the duster, but I guess Renault scared me, and the fact that a Gurkha became available hardly helped matters. Coz' Gurkha was one vehicle I always wanted to own (be owned, whatever!). :-)
Old 22nd November 2011, 15:17   #651
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

yes roy

i am stretching quite a bit to get a yeti - thats for sure. also have been quietly saving for some time towards it.
renault duster - yes i would have liked to wait but they are not sharing any info except vague stuff. if they would come clean and tell us that they would be introducing a few variants and if they would release teasers about the specs and pricing and likely launch date then I may have waited. as it stands im becoming impatient with all this and unfortunately there is nothing else out there that meets what I want out of a vehicle.
whatever it is, Im sure the duster will be a success in India on account of its euro heritage and its likely pricing. but as of now it is not for me!
cheers
sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
So Shankar, you too opted out of the Duster. Yeti is fantastic, and frankly IMHO for a person who can afford a Yeti, the Duster hardly makes any sense.
At one point I thought that you would perhaps, book the first Duster that rolled out, but although Renault lost out on that business, this thread still has you as it's champion.
Even I was saving my kitty for the duster, but I guess Renault scared me, and the fact that a Gurkha became available hardly helped matters. Coz' Gurkha was one vehicle I always wanted to own (be owned, whatever!). :-)
Old 22nd November 2011, 18:40   #652
Distinguished - BHPian

Pasting the ACI link to the Duster scoop.

SCOOP! Duster coming with five variants - News - Autocar India Mobile Edition
Quote:
Will be unveiled at the Auto Expo in January with an expected launch by mid-2012. Unlike the Ford EcoSport, the Duster won’t qualify for excise cuts as it is longer than four metres. But you can still expect aggressive pricing in the range of Rs 7-11 lakh. Renault has ambitious plans of selling 50,000 units every year, a part of which will be exports to right-hand-drive markets like the UK.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 22nd November 2011 at 18:42.
Old 22nd November 2011, 19:12   #653
Senior - BHPian

Well, it seems that the Ford will have only 4x2 as the Fiesta gearbox cannot handle the torque. So it is now only Duster in 4x4 < 14L (would love if it is <10L) bracket.
Old 22nd November 2011, 20:21   #654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Good scoop, but it doesn't say much about specs or variants, talks just about the target numbers. 50K per year seems to be a very ambitious target, that comes to more than 4K per month. Even if we assume that half of this would be exported to the right hand drive countries like UK, will Renault be able to sell 2K a month. They can achieve this only if they price it very aggressively, provide plush interiors & resolve the ergonomic issues that plague the current version, what say?
Old 22nd November 2011, 21:33   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
yes roy

i am stretching quite a bit to get a yeti - thats for sure. also have been quietly saving for some time towards it.
renault duster - yes i would have liked to wait but they are not sharing any info except vague stuff. if they would come clean and tell us that they would be introducing a few variants and if they would release teasers about the specs and pricing and likely launch date then I may have waited. as it stands im becoming impatient with all this and unfortunately there is nothing else out there that meets what I want out of a vehicle.
whatever it is, Im sure the duster will be a success in India on account of its euro heritage and its likely pricing. but as of now it is not for me!
cheers
sb
I think the first sign of spy pictures by ACI confirm that things seem to be on track . One more thing is that companies never share any kind of information as it would be completely stupid. You don't want all your competitors to be prepared for your arrival. You should come with a bang. Id like to think of this as a time of silence before which the storm would strike.

So 3 engine options sounds good but I dont want the 110bhp diesel version priced above 10L!! The 110bhp version should be available for ~8L ex-showroom to make any kind of sense.
Old 22nd November 2011, 22:07   #656
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
So 3 engine options sounds good but I dont want the 110bhp diesel version priced above 10L!! The 110bhp version should be available for ~8L ex-showroom to make any kind of sense.
That price is too optimistic I would say. If they plan to bring in the lowest petrol variant at 7L, then the lowest trim in diesel should be at least 8L. I would be really happy if the 110 bhp 4x4 is priced around 10L, but I am not sure even that could be a reality. ACI speculates the top of the line at 11L or so.

But if Renault decides to surprise us all...
Old 22nd November 2011, 22:29   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
That price is too optimistic I would say. If they plan to bring in the lowest petrol variant at 7L, then the lowest trim in diesel should be at least 8L. I would be really happy if the 110 bhp 4x4 is priced around 10L, but I am not sure even that could be a reality. ACI speculates the top of the line at 11L or so.

But if Renault decides to surprise us all...
If that's what Renault are thinking, then don't expect any sales from the top end. XUV5OO will eat it, if M&M can ramp up production that is.
Old 22nd November 2011, 22:48   #658
Senior - BHPian

The Autocar scoop says that Renault are looking at selling 50,000 units annually. A clear indication that Renault intend to position the Duster aggressively. There should be more on this at the auto expo. 2012 could well be the year of compact SUVs.
Old 22nd November 2011, 23:49   #659
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
and the fact that a Gurkha became available hardly helped matters. Coz' Gurkha was one vehicle I always wanted to own (be owned, whatever!). :-)
Can you please chare the information where it mentions that Gurkha is available again? I am looking forward to buy an SUV and if Gurkha is available, I will give it a serious thought.
Old 23rd November 2011, 04:29   #660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl

Can you please chare the information where it mentions that Gurkha is available again? I am looking forward to buy an SUV and if Gurkha is available, I will give it a serious thought.
Ok.... Mine is a pre owned one, but 2009 edition, so pretty new. However, another guy from 4wd4all picked up a brand new one a couple of months back from Punjab. Even I'm confused how that happened. Look up Hate Tar on that forum for more info...

Oh, by the way, it seriously rocks. Just a bit spartan and oldish, but feels amazing to drive both off and on road.

Last edited by roy_libran : 23rd November 2011 at 04:30.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks