Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2010, 16:23   #31
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

this vehicle will be worth it I think.
if they are able to bring in a 4x4 version at about 10lacs on road with that 1.5 Diesel I think it is a killer for the entry level SUV buyer.
Scorpio and Safari will get ripped by this on account of pure value for money.
It is quite like a RAV 4 and looks quite nice and compact. ideal for Indian road conditions I d say.
Old 2nd October 2010, 21:29   #32
BHPian

From what I have read, the pricing is expected to be around 15 l, most probaly ex delhi as usual. Lesser price seems a bit difficult as engine on offer will be having more than 160bhp plus the features on offer. Also I guess Renault would like to undercut the endeavour and fortuner by a few lakhs to get cracking in this segment.
Old 3rd October 2010, 12:48   #33
BHPian

My "campaign for the Dacia badge" LOL

Somewhat , but I hate the fact that the Logan was re-badged a Renault, instead of a Dacia. They should have respected the badge for what it is. What irks me most is that Dacia is not just the name of a car manufacturer but the name of the region now known as Romania as early as before the birth of Christ. For a car with Romanian DNA to be re-badged a Renault is just not right, IMO. In a different way, even Suzuki is doing the same thing in India. These days, "Maruti" in the Maruti Suzuki double barrel badge is in a smaller font than "Suzuki".

The argument that nobody knew Dacia in India does not hold. Nobody had heard of Skoda in India either.

Also: if Renault is listening, can you please keep the "Duster" name? This is not a new nameplate at all. The first time I heard of it was In the 1994(?) Daily Express Guide to World Cars. If we can live with names like "Laura" and "Beat" (those who know Hindi would understand), I am sure "Duster" can work too.

<End of Rant>
Old 16th December 2010, 19:46   #34
Senior - BHPian

Spotted testing in India.

I just saw a heavily camouflaged Duster (walked within 2 feet of it). It was LHD & a petrol at that.
From what I could glean, it may be undergoing testing to see how its FE can be improved. Cannot disclose anything more than that. .
Sorry, no pics as photography is not allowed in the premises I saw it in.
Old 16th December 2010, 21:40   #35
Senior - BHPian

re: Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!

That atleast reflects that it has reached the testing stage, which is definitely good news.

I am just hoping they would keep the 4x2 variant below 8 lakhs.

Last edited by ashutoshb : 16th December 2010 at 21:43.
Old 16th December 2010, 22:08   #36
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised though at how diminutive this vehicle actually is. It has a raised stance, sure, but its no larger than an Indigo Marina (I happened to spot them together).

Quote:
I am just hoping they would keep the 4x2 variant below 8 lakhs
8 Lakhs seem a fair price, since I "think" ( ;-) ) that it may come with some market first features to dramatically improve its FE.

And no, I dont work for Renault/Dacia or any of its subsidiaries.
Old 16th December 2010, 22:32   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
From what I could glean, it may be undergoing testing to see how its FE can be improved.
Quote:
8 Lakhs seem a fair price, since I "think" ( ;-) ) that it may come with some market first features to dramatically improve its FE.
I "think" you have some 'inside' information regarding Duster . When is the expected launch?

Last edited by HammerHead : 16th December 2010 at 22:35.
Old 16th December 2010, 22:37   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
I "think" you have some 'inside' information regarding Duster . When is the expected launch?
No idea about the launch dude. As I said, I am in no way connected with the project.
Though it might be completely unrelated, it may be interesting to note that its sharing its secret garage in the aforementioned premises with a Honda CR-V.
Old 16th December 2010, 23:34   #39
Senior - BHPian

The mention of the CRV suggests importance to the petrol variant being given. Hoping that similar level of attention is for the DCi aka Diesel variant as well.

Here is how a Duster with the Renault Zoe style front end could look like:
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!-renaultduster1.jpg  

Old 17th December 2010, 02:17   #40
BHPian

Re: My "campaign for the Dacia badge" LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
For a car with Romanian DNA to be re-badged a Renault is just not right, IMO.
The Logan was completely designed by Renault in France and it was launched under the Dacia name in Romania because Renault wanted stay as a bit more upmarket brand. So I don't see any point in saying that they disrespected Dacia or for that matter Romania by launching the Logan as a Renault.

IMHO, the base version will be priced above 9Lacs as they will be marketing it as an alternative to the entry level D-segment sedans.

Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!-renault_duster_1.jpg

Link - Renault - HOME DUSTER

Last edited by harishnair : 17th December 2010 at 02:21.
Old 17th December 2010, 07:12   #41
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

it would probably be about the same size as the Yeti
but I dont think the Dacia/ Renault carries quite the same cachet in terms of brand, with consumers.
After all, when Skoda came into India in 2001, it was positioned as a luxe car which only the more well off chaps could afford.
Renault on the other hand with its Logan, went straight to the Taxi segment.
However nice the Duster is, it is going to be very tough for them to shake off that 'taxi' brand image. Hence it would be unrealistic for them to think they can get away with a 15L + taxes and insurance kind of pricing. What they can do however is to price its 4x4 variant roughly equivalent to say the Scorpio/ Safari 2wd versions and see what it does to the market for the entry level SUV buyer- who just might pick the Duster over the Scorp and Safari on account of its Euro genes, 4WD and because it is at the same price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
From what I have read, the pricing is expected to be around 15 l, most probaly ex delhi as usual. Lesser price seems a bit difficult as engine on offer will be having more than 160bhp plus the features on offer. Also I guess Renault would like to undercut the endeavour and fortuner by a few lakhs to get cracking in this segment.
Old 18th December 2010, 15:16   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
IMHO, the base version will be priced above 9Lacs as they will be marketing it as an alternative to the entry level D-segment sedans.
They have to I guess. Atleast for the petrol engine which I saw. Or rather, it should be 9-9.5L OTR.
Given that its interiors arent exactly exciting (maybe I saw a pre production example), and its size isnt imposing.

@Mods : Can we edit the title to include "Spotted Testing in India" ?

EDIT : The example I saw had exactly the same alloys as the ones posted in these pics.
Old 8th February 2011, 20:53   #43
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,

Any more updates on the Duster? Or did it bite the dust?
Old 14th February 2011, 00:28   #44
Team-BHP Support

This week's Car and Bike Show reported that, Renault confirmed it for next year release (2012).
The program also said the price would be much below 15K!

See we need to wait and watch, but its long way to go.
Old 14th February 2011, 17:06   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The program also said the price would be much below 15K!
I'll buy 5 of them at 15K I think you meant 15 lakhs ex showroom unless SVP was confused
Closed Thread

Most Viewed