Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2011, 12:28   #211
BHPian

re: Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!

Last week one of my friend asked the Pune Renault showroom about the Duster and they said next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaynaphade View Post
So guys, a news to cheer. Just had a word with one of the SE here in Pune about 'RD' and guess what? He said, 'RD' will get launched around September 2011 and will be aggressively priced to beat the competition hands down. He also said that it's a wonderful vehicle and they are expecting huge booking once launched. I am so excited folks , can you guys also confirm the same in your respective cities?
Old 6th June 2011, 19:23   #212
BHPian

Here is the ACI review of the Duster

sreejinair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 21:54   #213
Team-BHP Support

Wow! ACI quotes 7-8L range! I doubt if it would be in that range. I would put it in 10-12 bracket max OTR. Anything above would kill the product.

At the same time, I think 8-9L would be an good price tag to have and 10-12 ideal if they can some more levels plushness and comforts.

Last edited by ampere : 6th June 2011 at 22:13.
Old 6th June 2011, 22:00   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Wow! ACI quotes 7-8L range! I doubt if it would be in that range. I would put it in 10-12 bracket max OTR. Anything above would kill the product.

At the same time, I think 8-9L would be an ideal price tag to have and 10-12 ideal if they can some more levels plushness and comforts.
They have to quote it less, it seems to be a small vehicle and definitely not a giant SUV. The weight is under 1200 kg and that tells me the material quality for the exterior might not be that good. All though the engine should be good enough since it has very less weight.
Old 6th June 2011, 22:15   #215
Team-BHP Support

Thats my suspect as well. At 7-8L their operating margins would be low .
With such margins, comfort related items go out of the window.
Old 6th June 2011, 23:52   #216
BHPian

I think there will be multiple versions, perhaps there will be a petrol or a lower tune diesel for less. The Duster is good value everywhere but the 4x4 high tune 110bhp dci will most likely be above 10.

Even abroad the 4x4 dci 110bhp is 18k euro plus taxes and cars priced at 18k euro are usually around 12-14 here. This idea of Duster being cheap is perhaps misguided, its certainly cheap when compared a land rover freelander, nearly half its price and the other 4x4 suvs its compared with in places where its launched.

Dacia Duster price for European launch
Old 7th June 2011, 00:17   #217
BHPian

Yes the price of Duster for the base 4x2 petrol (that is if they do that mistake of launching a petrol version) may cost about 7-8, OTR + 18% (in Karnataka). But also considering the Fluence pricing the diesel may start with the base version with petrol somewhere in between and a 4x4 at the top end, which could be about 12 OTR.

Also ACI quotes that the Koleos will start from 14Lakhs (as indicated by Renault), which is a surprise. That said if the Koleos is competing in the 14 - 18 range, the Duster could well be in the 8 - 12 range. Now the big question is what will be the 4x4 priced at OTR?
Old 7th June 2011, 07:28   #218
Team-BHP Support

That seems to be the right price band for the product. My only take, that they spruce up the interiors and make it a more richer (which I doubt). viz. good seat-covers, plastics and a decent electronic accessory (Bluetooth, IPOD connect etc).
Old 7th June 2011, 13:01   #219
BHPian

Apology folks, the SE gave me incorrect information.
I asked about 'RD' and he told me about 'Koleos'. Not sure, what is Renault up to? Why are they launching all premium segement cars? I seriously doubt they will meet the target of 2000 'Fluence' by year end when 'RD' has the capability of achieving similar numbers per month.

I am contemplating about buying 'New Fluidic Verna' but my inner-self is holding me back just because of 'RD'. I am, in an absolute dilemma.
Old 7th June 2011, 14:17   #220
Senior - BHPian

7-8L seems tough. Dont forget the money GOI makes on excise/VAT/etc etc.. Transportation & dealer margins also to be accounted.. So 10L seems decent and can add another lakh for the 4*4 version.

But Scorpio has a huge fan base. It will take a lot more than price to beat it! Road presence would need to match, first up!

PS: I didnt quite like the looks of the RD - especially the rear. Doesnt look aggressive or SUVish IMO.
Old 7th June 2011, 20:34   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaynaphade View Post
Apology folks, the SE gave me incorrect information.
I asked about 'RD' and he told me about 'Koleos'. Not sure, what is Renault up to? Why are they launching all premium segement cars? I seriously doubt they will meet the target of 2000 'Fluence' by year end when 'RD' has the capability of achieving similar numbers per month.

I am contemplating about buying 'New Fluidic Verna' but my inner-self is holding me back just because of 'RD'. I am, in an absolute dilemma.
Please hold your guns, going by the review of FV, even though it is the pick for ACI it is for all the wrong reasons, it is the Vento which earns my respect in that segment, that said, RD is a different animal altogether, so weigh your options before you take the plunge. For me RD makes more sense than a sedan any day, and considering the vento, RD is worth every penny. What if you get a RD 4x4 top end for vento Highline diesel money, nothing to think?
Old 7th June 2011, 21:12   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
7-8L seems tough. Dont forget the money GOI makes on excise/VAT/etc etc.. Transportation & dealer margins also to be accounted.. So 10L seems decent and can add another lakh for the 4*4 version.

But Scorpio has a huge fan base. It will take a lot more than price to beat it! Road presence would need to match, first up!

PS: I didnt quite like the looks of the RD - especially the rear. Doesnt look aggressive or SUVish IMO.
With our Indian consumer's loyalty is as good as the product, and it changes overnight, literally.
Old 7th June 2011, 21:22   #223
BHPian

The Koleos is nothing but the Xtrail with a different body shell, but starting at 14 Lakhs!

It looks like a case of vengeance on part of Renault, how many auto companies have we seen (in Indian automotive history) who have launched 2 SUVs back to back (in 2 different segments) in a period of 6 months. This shows how bent is Carlos (Renault) to get back to M&M (it was a bitter divorce between them?), sandwiching the Scorpio with 2 SUVs, one in 8 to 10 Lakhs range and the other in 14 to 18 Lakhs range. Food for thought?, consumer is in joy end of the day.
Old 7th June 2011, 22:46   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thats my suspect as well. At 7-8L their operating margins would be low .
With such margins, comfort related items go out of the window.
With the Koleos set to start at 14lac, Renault might have no option but to slot the Duster into the 8-12 lac price band.

As it shares a lot with the Logan, the Duster is not exactly a premium SUV. Having said that, Renault should not omit basic safety features such as ABS in the name of cost cutting. One can live without slightly dour looking plastics but not ABS, pun intended.
MaserQ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 22:50   #225
Team-BHP Support

Though not a rich interior, but surely a good equipment listing would be definitely nice.
But then having said what all Renault will ad and remove? That is a question I cannot wait to get an answer!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks