Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2011, 23:21   #226
BHPian

re: Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!

Does anyone have any information on where the Logan was produced and where Renault is manufacturing the new Renault only models?

Since the Duster like the Logan is a no nonsense no frills vehicle with the just the basics, but built well with the necessities I have a feeling the interiors will be a lot like the current Logan. ABS and airbags can be taken for granted but EPS maybe not.

There is a nice video of the duster on youtube where they try to roll it, and put the Yeti through the same routine. The Yeti holds its line throughout and is fairly well composed, the Duster holds its line but at the last sharp high speed turn nearly loses it but hangs on with 2 wheels in the air. And this is a really sharp high speed turn the kind that will most likely roll less well engineered cars. I will try to find a link to the video.
Old 8th June 2011, 07:08   #227
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

the duster from all accounts will be made by renault in oragadam near chennai
the logan was being made in one of the M&M plants in Maharashtra
Old 8th June 2011, 11:03   #228
BHPian

Zulfi, I am, in an absolute agreement with you when talked about 'RD'. I wish to upgrade to a newer car in coming months and that's why bending towards 'ANHV'.

Somehow, I am not a fan of diesel cars, but, trust me for the first time, I have actually started thinking of buying a diesel 'RD'. Is there any possibility of Renault, swapping it's 2012 'Duster' launch with any of its 2011 launch?

Renault is soon going to launch ‘Duster’ in Russia and following is what Russians are going to get and what we may get.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!-duster.jpg  

Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!-renaultdustermoscowmotorshow.jpg  

Last edited by ajaynaphade : 8th June 2011 at 11:06. Reason: 'months' got missed
Old 8th June 2011, 13:42   #229
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaynaphade View Post
Renault is soon going to launch ‘Duster’ in Russia and following is what Russians are going to get and what we may get.
Thanks for sharing the pics. The car actually looks much better with the Renualt diamond. It looked a bit Chinese with the Dacia plate!
Old 8th June 2011, 13:49   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaynaphade View Post
Zulfi, I am, in an absolute agreement with you when talked about 'RD'. I wish to upgrade to a newer car in coming months and that's why bending towards 'ANHV'.

Somehow, I am not a fan of diesel cars, but, trust me for the first time, I have actually started thinking of buying a diesel 'RD'. Is there any possibility of Renault, swapping it's 2012 'Duster' launch with any of its 2011 launch?

I would have liked the original grill, this one is not looking good at all, its a cheap attempt at making this car look premium. They should leave it to that, the car is practical and functional, do not even try to make it look premium.

This brings the thought that all the auto companies when it comes to Indian Market tend to spruce up the product a little bit and charge us 3 times more the input cost of unnecessary cosmetic changes terming the car premium. I hope Renault does not do that Mistake. They can play with all those cheap tricks they want to with the Koleos, but not with the RD.
Old 9th June 2011, 06:56   #231
BANNED

consumer brand loyalty in India is practically non existent except amongst a few. people always will prefer a better "deal"- healthy cost vs benefit ratio is paramount for the most part amongst us here. hence if Renault gets its pricing correct and fair, then one will see flocks of people dumping the M&M and Tata SUV's in favour of the Duster. I also speak for myself in this aspect. For years one has been looking forward to a fairly priced utilitarian functional and safe SUV which one can use in the city as well as anywhere else. The only one that is even coming close to this dream is the Duster. enough said, I think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
With our Indian consumer's loyalty is as good as the product, and it changes overnight, literally.
Old 9th June 2011, 12:17   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
consumer brand loyalty in India is practically non existent except amongst a few. people always will prefer a better "deal"- healthy cost vs benefit ratio is paramount for the most part amongst us here. hence if Renault gets its pricing correct and fair, then one will see flocks of people dumping the M&M and Tata SUV's in favour of the Duster. I also speak for myself in this aspect. For years one has been looking forward to a fairly priced utilitarian functional and safe SUV which one can use in the city as well as anywhere else. The only one that is even coming close to this dream is the Duster. enough said, I think!
To add to what you said, the day I find a 6-lac (on-road price) SUV which gives me seating for 5 with decent boot space, HVAC and power steering I will buy it. 4x4 would be a good option to have. But it is not a deal breaker at that price. Neither are airbags nor ABS. Basically all I need is a Thar with a hard top and HVAC at a price of 6 lacs. And, yes, it needs to be BS4 compliant (or BS 5 or BS 6 depending on whichever is the current norm at the time).
Old 9th June 2011, 12:22   #233
BANNED

unfortunately this misguided sense of "mindless running after a "premium" image" causes most manufacturers to completely ignore this segment - atleast until now.
I hope Renault takes note of this because if the speculated pricing range of 8-12 lacs does indeed come true then it will become a complete category killer! Scorpio and Safari might as well go home and sit in the garage or the great scrap yard in the sky!
In any case being Renault / Dacia and even if it is their cheapest SUV, the fit and finish quality and ergonomics and overall engineering is bound to be better than the stuff we get from M&M and Tata for 15-16 lacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
To add to what you said, the day I find a 6-lac (on-road price) SUV which gives me seating for 5 with decent boot space, HVAC and power steering I will buy it. 4x4 would be a good option to have. But it is not a deal breaker at that price. Neither are airbags nor ABS. Basically all I need is a Thar with a hard top and HVAC at a price of 6 lacs. And, yes, it needs to be BS4 compliant (or BS 5 or BS 6 depending on whichever is the current norm at the time).

Last edited by shankar.balan : 9th June 2011 at 12:26.
Old 9th June 2011, 14:21   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hope Renault takes note of this because if the speculated pricing range of 8-12 lacs does indeed come true then it will become a complete category killer! Scorpio and Safari might as well go home and sit in the garage or the great scrap yard in the sky!
Duster is 5 seater right? There will be still few who need the space, extra seats the Scorpios and Safaris offer. And there will be those who miss the so called 'Road Presence' in Duster.
Old 9th June 2011, 14:23   #235
Senior - BHPian

All said and done, with nothing in sight for the Duster, with respect to Launch Dates, Configurations and Prices, the heart is pulling more and more towards the Thar CRDe.

It was kind of a shock to come to know yesterday, that Thar is available practically off the shelf right now in Gurgaon. Add to that a price tag of 6.7 + 40K for AC, and I'm ready to go.

To wait or not to wait!
Old 9th June 2011, 17:07   #236
BANNED

effective seating in Scorpio is also max 5 - it is a very uncomfortable 7 seater if pressed into service in that way.
take a rough estimate of how many scorpios and safaris one sees on the road owned by urban chaps - invariably they will have a max of 4 passengers. this is the segment that will jump at something like the Duster. and there are more than sufficient numbers in this for Duster to justify its quick launch and fair pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Duster is 5 seater right? There will be still few who need the space, extra seats the Scorpios and Safaris offer. And there will be those who miss the so called 'Road Presence' in Duster.
Old 9th June 2011, 17:09   #237
BANNED

honestly - i think the Thar is a serious waste of time and money. One cannot compare the Thar to the Duster at all.
think of it, will you really want to live with the Thar's inherent discomfort, poor quality, shoddy finish and lack of AC?
instead, if you are so much in a hurry and thus cannot wait for the Duster or any other better quality vehicle, why not consider the Bolero? thats far better! Or even the lower EX Scorpio? Unless 4WD is an absolute necessity that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
All said and done, with nothing in sight for the Duster, with respect to Launch Dates, Configurations and Prices, the heart is pulling more and more towards the Thar CRDe.

It was kind of a shock to come to know yesterday, that Thar is available practically off the shelf right now in Gurgaon. Add to that a price tag of 6.7 + 40K for AC, and I'm ready to go.

To wait or not to wait!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 9th June 2011 at 17:10.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 17:35   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
honestly - i think the Thar is a serious waste of time and money.
Completely agree. But, AC is now available as a Dealer Fitment for 40K and I can get a Hard Top for 20-30 K, whenever I want it. I know there are quality issues, but one cannot deny that the platform for this vehicle is great, only the execution has been shoddy. I may be able to live with that.

Quote:
instead, if you are so much in a hurry and thus cannot wait for the Duster or any other better quality vehicle, why not consider the Bolero? thats far better!
Bolero was always my First Choice. The only pain point is no 4WD even if I am prepared to wait for 6 months after booking!

Quote:
Or even the lower EX Scorpio? Unless 4WD is an absolute necessity that is.
Scorpio with it's pitching and rolling and bad second row seating is out of the question. Just don't think that this vehicle deserves the price they ask for it. Regarding the EX version, I think that is meant for the Taxi market. Look at the sheer level of compromises with the small reduction in price. It may have been a compelling buy had they positioned it another 50K below, and offered a 4WD version at a higher price, at least as an option.

Given the above, I, like so many others, including yourself, have been waiting patiently for the RD. But, looking at how Renault has screwed up (again) with the Fluence, and with no official word coming on the Duster, that patience is riding thin.
Old 9th June 2011, 17:45   #239
Senior - BHPian

Renault have tried to give the Russian Duster a yankee look with that big fat chrome grille. The original grille with a simple Renault logo would suffice.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!-renaultdustermoscowmotorshow.jpg  

Old 9th June 2011, 20:09   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
Renault have tried to give the Russian Duster a yankee look with that big fat chrome grille. The original grille with a simple Renault logo would suffice.
Exactly my wish, the original grill has character and originality of the design.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed