Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2011, 12:06   #376
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!

If Duster Launch probably this will be my Next Car after owning a Fusion. Find a replacement of Fusion is too hard in Market. Ranault should give decent Service Network before launch. Also they should consider to have a decent parts cost and Maximum localization.
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:13   #377
BHPian

Hope they don't pull a Ford Fiesta on us. I.e., Raising expectations of a price around/under 10 Lakh, and then pricing it at 13-14 Lakh!

Though IMHO, for a fully loaded 4x4 Diesel with good quality interiors, even 12-13L would not be too bad.

Finally an option for Fusion fans looking to upgrade?
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:22   #378
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

yes the Duster would be a sensible upgrade from the Fusion.
I also hope they dont go chasing this mad holy grail of "premium" and end up over pricing this vehicle
seems to me that MAX 12 lacs on road would be a fair price to pay for the top end version of the Duster with all possible bells and whistles. if it is priced in this way it could very well end up being the common man's Yeti and in consequence could really take off very well in this price sensitive, value seeking marketplace! however Im not sure how patient one can be, waiting for the blessed thing to get launched. I for one am getting seriously itchy feet and fingers - desperately keen to change!
Old 3rd August 2011, 17:26   #379
BHPian

IMHO, Anything above 10L for whats essentially a 5-seater is asking for trouble. For Renault to make a considerable impact, this should be priced between 7-9 lakhs.
chandras1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2011, 12:08   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras1 View Post
IMHO, Anything above 10L for whats essentially a 5-seater is asking for trouble. For Renault to make a considerable impact, this should be priced between 7-9 lakhs.
Exactly ! The Ex-Showroom price should be below 9 for any model. Otherwise as a Indian Mentality people will go for Bigger Item. 9+ for a small SUV will be not digestive.
Old 4th August 2011, 13:05   #381
e46
BHPian

this soft roader should be priced not more than 10 lacs on r0ad Bangalore (considering cars cost highest here). Accordingly, for other places/ states.
Old 4th August 2011, 14:49   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I also hope they dont go chasing this mad holy grail of "premium"
This folly has been repeated by lot of manufacturers over time. Some of the prominent examples have been Fusion, SRV, Fabia, Yeti, Jazz and latest one being Aria. I think this is a basic marketing trick of pricing it high and later reducing the price which all of these companies have tried following. Only noted exception being Toyota (there may be others too, which I may not be knowing). Starting from Qualis, Innova, Fortuner and now with Etios Toyota has launched their cars at lower price and later increased it based on the huge response.

Cant guess which strategy Renault will implement but given the Logan pricing there is room to say that they are a bit sensible. Also I hope by now all these multinational brands have learnt more about the Indian customers affinity towards VFM deals.
Old 5th August 2011, 10:12   #383
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
Exactly ! The Ex-Showroom price should be below 9 for any model. Otherwise as a Indian Mentality people will go for Bigger Item. 9+ for a small SUV will be not digestive.
Agree, 9-10 is max for duster. Its not about Indian mentality. This is a no-frills low-cost compact suv. That is its USP, and so price should be reasonable. There were comparisons to Yeti, but this is no yeti. It is not comparable. Be it the performance, built, equipments, off-road systems(hill descent etc) or very important factors like safety(yeti is 5 star and duster is 3 star in euro NCAP) duster lags behind in every aspect. Auto mags have given average reviews on duster. So, I hope duster keeps its USP(low-cost compact suv) here too.
Old 8th August 2011, 06:25   #384
BANNED

yes the toyota strategy was always to introduce their vehicles at a pretty fair price, get consumers used to their quality standards and after having built their brand equity, to raise the price accordingly.
notable here were the qualis and the first gen Innova.not quite so for the new gen Innova, Altis, Fortuner etc though. Etios and Liva are relatively lower priced anyway but it seems to me they could have made them slightly better VFM than they are.

the Duster is supposed to be a no frill vehicle - aimed at the utilitarian types but with safety and quality that will definitely be better than the Tata's and Mahindras of the world as of this moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
Only noted exception being Toyota (there may be others too, which I may not be knowing). Starting from Qualis, Innova, Fortuner and now with Etios Toyota has launched their cars at lower price and later increased it based on the huge response.

Cant guess which strategy Renault will implement but given the Logan pricing there is room to say that they are a bit sensible. Also I hope by now all these multinational brands have learnt more about the Indian customers affinity towards VFM deals.
Old 10th August 2011, 07:03   #385
BANNED

wonder how authentic this info on these websites are

Renault Duster DCi 110 4x4 Car Features|Renault Duster DCi 110 4x4 Cars Feature in India|Renault Duster DCi 110 4x4 Variant Feature

Renault announces future plans - Renault India - News : Overdrive
Old 10th August 2011, 07:45   #386
mxx
BHPian

To be launched in 2nd half of 2012?
Isnt Duster the car on renault india website with planned launch on winter 2011 launch ?
url - Renault cars in India
Old 10th August 2011, 08:29   #387
Team-BHP Support

I think the Renault strategy is to first wash their hands of the VFM Branding (obtained due to Logan).
Then they make their presence felt as a premium brand, so that they can command margins on pricing.
(Hope they actually substantiate that with quality products and and more importantly support).

So with that logic, it seems apt that they plan to release Fluence (now already done) and Koleos first before bringing in Duster.
The pricing on Fluence already gives to me a whiff about the pricing they plan for future line-ups.

Koleos price will confirm that approach. If we take that line of reasoning forward, I am not expecting Duster to be priced less than 10. The top-end 4x4 Duster
should approximately plateau out at abuot 12-12.5L (14.5 OTR Max at Bangalore), with some addition of premium elements like Fabric, gadgets etc.
But I surely wont expect them to load it to the gills. Because they need keep the price down and also not want Duster to eat into the Koleos market.
Feature difference keeps price and segment difference between the two products.
Old 10th August 2011, 09:50   #388
BHPian

Positioning a no-frills basic vehicle as a premium product without a backing brand value, imho, is not a good approach. Considering that Logan sells better under the M&M brand Renault should try to build its brand image first - an uphill task, before commanding premium valuations for the Duster
Old 10th August 2011, 19:25   #389
BANNED

mxx - im unable to identify the car planned for Winter 2011 based on the silhouette on their website

ampere- im inclined to agree with you on the speculations you've made on the pricing. though I was hoping that the top end Duster would reach my doorstep at about 12 ish!

In fact, speaking fairly and squarely, I believe the Duster Top end would end up more or less in line with the Scorp / Safari top end, or the new proposed less powerful Skoda Yeti.

Of course one is assuming and hoping that the Duster will have loads of features, safety kit, 4WD,far better quality of fit and finish, engineering, ergonomics etc in comparison to the above antediluvian monsters.

If so, this would really take the fight to those anachronistic antediluvian monsters that we are forced to buy currently -i.e; Scorp and Safari; to leave no doubt about what Im grumbling about.

If priced as you suggest then the Top end Duster can be euphemistically termed as the value seeker's small SUV aimed at those with an active, outdoor lifestyle.
Old 10th August 2011, 19:54   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
mxx - im unable to identify the car planned for Winter 2011 based on the silhouette on their website

ampere- im inclined to agree with you on the speculations you've made on the pricing. though I was hoping that the top end Duster would reach my doorstep at about 12 ish!

In fact, speaking fairly and squarely, I believe the Duster Top end would end up more or less in line with the Scorp / Safari top end, or the new proposed less powerful Skoda Yeti.

Of course one is assuming and hoping that the Duster will have loads of features, safety kit, 4WD,far better quality of fit and finish, engineering, ergonomics etc in comparison to the above antediluvian monsters.

If so, this would really take the fight to those anachronistic antediluvian monsters that we are forced to buy currently -i.e; Scorp and Safari; to leave no doubt about what Im grumbling about.

If priced as you suggest then the Top end Duster can be euphemistically termed as the value seeker's small SUV aimed at those with an active, outdoor lifestyle.
I have been following this thread from the beginning and everybody says that the prices will be high but I thought this info from Renault and Dacia's Romania website could clear some doubts.

I think you don't need to be bothered so much with still almost a year to go (I think!) for the Duster's launch. The Duster is a VFM vehicle anywhere else in the world and I believe it will also be the same in India. Why am I stating this?

The Fluence is SKD which attracts fair amount of taxes and that retails for 12.99 Ex-Showroom for the diesel model. The Duster range starts from Rs 7 lakhs (Euros 11,150) in Romania while Fluence starts from 14,500 (Rs 9.5 lakhs). The Duster, even if it came as CBU, will only start from Rs 14-15 lakhs. Since that is not possible, the SKD or CKD route will mean it could be priced around Rs 10 lakhs as you guys have been speculating. However, the news from the above link and from Renault say it will be manufactured here. That could only mean it will be priced further down.

All info taken from this link.
Autoturisme
http://www.dacia.ro/modele-si-preturi/duster/

I'm not being bullish, just sensible. I think everybody knows that a Duster priced from Rs 12 lakhs will make no sense. Renault should know that people would rather take a D-segment sedan like Civic or Cruze or other vehicles (Aria 4X2 is also an option) for the same price. Renault wouldn't make a mistake again, its the least I expect from them. So let's keep our hopes high and see what we get.

PS - Hopes are high because even I am waiting for this one!!

Last edited by designersf : 10th August 2011 at 19:58.
designersf is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed