Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2011, 20:20   #391
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
I'm not being bullish, just sensible. I think everybody knows that a Duster priced from Rs 12 lakhs will make no sense. Renault should know that people would rather take a D-segment sedan like Civic or Cruze or other vehicles (Aria 4X2 is also an option) for the same price. Renault wouldn't make a mistake again, its the least I expect from them. So let's keep our hopes high and see what we get.
I would like Renault to price like what you say. I also hear Renault has been saying it would be produced here in India.
They really get their act together to assemble a nicely engineered package at 12L OTR.
That I would definitely like to have, but again I have my own doubts on that.

Also folks who want this kind of a lifestyle vehicle will definitely not prefer buying the D-Segment sedans more
by choice than by affordability. (I am an example)
Aria 4x2 is a different example than the sedan, but is similar to them on the footprint.

If the compact X-over does not work out for me, I would then prefer to buy a loaded sedan or hatch of the lower segment.
(Again its my personal opinion.)

Again as Shankar said, I also feel that the prices of low power Yeti (4x2 and 1.6L Diesel engine) and the
Duster would directly interlace with Scorpio/Safari range and will not create a separate band.

I am also keeping my fingers crossed.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 20:23   #392
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

good input
even I am led to assume the same in the light of it being manufactured in India.
I only hope they dont come out with another Scorpio clone and offer all safety kit and so on only in the top version
atleast, to make that essential differentiation happen they should give safety kit to the level of ABS and front airbags for driver and passenger even in the base version
this will murder any competition from the desi SUV's and hopefully teach the powers that be at Tata and M&M that they can no longer place a premium on Safety!
looks like the duster might be amongst the most awaited launches in this country in the SUV space going by so many of us here who appear to be awaiting it so eagerly!

Quote:
I have been following this thread from the beginning and everybody says that the prices will be high but I thought this info from Renault and Dacia's Romania website could clear some doubts.
I'm not being bullish, just sensible. I think everybody knows that a Duster priced from Rs 12 lakhs will make no sense. Renault should know that people would rather take a D-segment sedan like Civic or Cruze or other vehicles (Aria 4X2 is also an option) for the same price. Renault wouldn't make a mistake again, its the least I expect from them. So let's keep our hopes high and see what we get.

PS - Hopes are high because even I am waiting for this one!!
Old 10th August 2011, 20:24   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
To be launched in 2nd half of 2012?
Isnt Duster the car on renault india website with planned launch on winter 2011 launch ?
url - Renault cars in India
Well i dont think that is the Duster. If you look at the sloping roof line and the wheels that are visible, it looks more like the new Cleo (also i know they are doing a lot of market research with the Cleo) as a friend heads the MR wing in Renault. But he wouldnt divulge any info on the Duster :(

The summer 2012 one looks more like the Duster with its big wheel arches.
Old 11th August 2011, 06:57   #394
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
But dont you think the summer 2012 car's bonnet line is more like the clio?
And is the duster pics, if you discard the roof rail, it has a slight sloping roof.
Old 11th August 2011, 09:11   #395
BANNED

the winter 2011 silhouette could be the scenic or the modus do you think?
it looks somewhat like a kangoo too

after having brought in the exec sedan, they are barging into the Mid-Premium level SUV market with the Koleos. They may want to introduce a nice people mover at a nice price to compete with the Innovas and Xylos of the world along with the Maruti R3 and so on.
Post this, it would be the Duster aimed at the compact SUV market and then god knows what else.

Whatever it is, their overall line-up and plan seems pretty comprehensive for our market. This kind of pressure that they are putting on themselves, will automatically make them gear up with the after sales service aspect etc.

Good for us!
Old 11th August 2011, 09:33   #396
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
If Duster Launch probably this will be my Next Car after owning a Fusion. Find a replacement of Fusion is too hard in Market. Ranault should give decent Service Network before launch. Also they should consider to have a decent parts cost and Maximum localization.
+1

Exactly my thoughts. Duster can be the only sensible replacement for the Fusion, unless Ford decides to plonk the new 1.5 Litre Engine and re-launch Fusion in a better avatar.

However the interiors of the Duster seem to be bad. No quality and looks more like a Logan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
yes the Duster would be a sensible upgrade from the Fusion.
I also hope they dont go chasing this mad holy grail of "premium" and end up over pricing this vehicle
seems to me that MAX 12 lacs on road would be a fair price to pay for the top end version of the Duster with all possible bells and whistles. if it is priced in this way it could very well end up being the common man's Yeti and in consequence could really take off very well in this price sensitive, value seeking marketplace! however Im not sure how patient one can be, waiting for the blessed thing to get launched. I for one am getting seriously itchy feet and fingers - desperately keen to change!
Going by the way they have priced the Fluence, it seems that Renault want to themselves associated with the word "premium". Even at 9-10 Lakhs, the car will over-priced as the same Logan engine would be doing duty in the duster.
Old 11th August 2011, 09:56   #397
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
IMO,

Winder 2011 = Modus
Summer 2012 = Duster

I tried comparing the camouflaged pics in the Indian web site with the Renault cars sold globally and the result is below
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!-dacia-duster.jpg  

Old 11th August 2011, 11:59   #398
BHPian

^^ I think you got it wrong , The rear overhangs and the front curve of the modus doesn't match.
Old 11th August 2011, 12:20   #399
BHPian

Shankar,

I believe M&M can easily counter this. Even if the Duster is priced right into Scorp territory, nothing really prevents M&M from launching yet-another-scorpio-refresh and provide ABS in LX, the only model where ABS is missing. I am pretty sure the base version of Duster wont sport Airbags either. Plus the 5-seater mini-xylo is another arsenal in M&M's stable that can wean away the potential buyers of Duster. I dont think the vast majority of the buyers care of 4x4 capability. So I reckon that even if Duster is priced very competitively it faces a uphill task in taking on M&M and if priced above it loses on the volume game.

Quote:
good input
even I am led to assume the same in the light of it being manufactured in India.
I only hope they dont come out with another Scorpio clone and offer all safety kit and so on only in the top version
atleast, to make that essential differentiation happen they should give safety kit to the level of ABS and front airbags for driver and passenger even in the base version
this will murder any competition from the desi SUV's and hopefully teach the powers that be at Tata and M&M that they can no longer place a premium on Safety!
looks like the duster might be amongst the most awaited launches in this country in the SUV space going by so many of us here who appear to be awaiting it so eagerly!
Old 11th August 2011, 13:04   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
IMO,

Winder 2011 = Modus
Summer 2012 = Duster

I tried comparing the camouflaged pics in the Indian web site with the Renault cars sold globally and the result is below
I think winter 2011 car will be Renault Scenic. It has more of the upright rear compared to Modus as is seen in the covered picture
Old 11th August 2011, 13:38   #401
BANNED

top end to top end comparison the duster will have much more than the scorp - feature for feature I believe. (TCS, EBD, 8.1 ABS etc)
additionally it will be better in terms of handling as it is a monocoque chassis. Plus it has higher clearance - 210mm vs 180mm.
the only thing against it is that it is a 5 seater and not a 7 seater - though for all practical purposes the Scorp is ok to seat 5 only.
apart from this I believe the fit, finish, feel, quality and ergonomics will be better than the Scorp and hence the Duster will become a formidable competitor.
Personally, I am waiting for it and I think I will buy the top end version of the Duster because it will come with many things that I want in a small SUV which the Scorp simply does not have! Anyway the Scorp top end is way overpriced in my opinion so I m displeased with its value proposition.
But it depends on what pricing the Duster comes in with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras1 View Post
Shankar,

I believe M&M can easily counter this. Even if the Duster is priced right into Scorp territory, nothing really prevents M&M from launching yet-another-scorpio-refresh and provide ABS in LX, the only model where ABS is missing. I am pretty sure the base version of Duster wont sport Airbags either. Plus the 5-seater mini-xylo is another arsenal in M&M's stable that can wean away the potential buyers of Duster. I dont think the vast majority of the buyers care of 4x4 capability. So I reckon that even if Duster is priced very competitively it faces a uphill task in taking on M&M and if priced above it loses on the volume game.
Old 11th August 2011, 14:10   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
+1

Exactly my thoughts. Duster can be the only sensible replacement for the Fusion, unless Ford decides to plonk the new 1.5 Litre Engine and re-launch Fusion in a better avatar.
I dont think they have any plan. But if they do then they must change the Front Bumper clearance and head light. a 4*4 will be added advantage.

Quote:
top end to top end comparison the duster will have much more than the scorp - feature for feature I believe. (TCS, EBD, 8.1 ABS etc)additionally it will be better in terms of handling as it is a monocoque chassis.
Also a better engine and handle than Scorpio.
Old 11th August 2011, 14:46   #403
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
I think winter 2011 car will be Renault Scenic. It has more of the upright rear compared to Modus as is seen in the covered picture
Re-checked with comparison pictures. Scenic seems to be longer and the Winter 2011 car has similar wheels like the Modus.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!-dacia-duster.jpg  

Old 12th August 2011, 11:41   #404
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras1 View Post
Shankar,

Fact is scorpio is almost a decade old and it is now past its prime. It's handling is not too good. And although it was a leap ahead for mahindra, even at that time, it was not better than what the other brands had to offer. Ofcourse we did not have any of that in India, so naturally scorpio was a hit. If duster is priced right, mahindra can reduce the price, but as a product it has nothing more to offer than duster. W201 is a different case, but we dont know what its pricing will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Quote:
the winter 2011 silhouette could be the scenic or the modus do you think?
it looks somewhat like a kangoo too
There are 5 cars planned. Renault has confirmed duster and a hatch. winter 2011 and summer 2012 are either of these two. Which one is still confusing. But I dont think kangoo or scenis is planned for now.

Quote:
I have been following this thread from the beginning and everybody says that the prices will be high but I thought this info from Renault and Dacia's Romania website could clear some doubts.
I'm not being bullish, just sensible. I think everybody knows that a Duster priced from Rs 12 lakhs will make no sense.
Your calculations are correct. And I think most people here have speculated the price based on the euro region pricing.
You can see with every manufacturer here, the cars are overpriced not due to and practical aspects, but due to lack of will to price it sensibly. I very well know the taxes and duties at play. Somehow, that never explains by CKD units are priced close to CBU levels.
Lets hope sense prevails with Renault and price duster sensibly.

Last edited by mxx : 12th August 2011 at 11:52.
Old 12th August 2011, 12:13   #405
BANNED

The 3rd car in the Renault Line-up for India will be their small car - which one exactly is a matter for guessing. POssibly the Twingo?
But this will happen before the Duster comes in.
This way Renault will straddle pretty much all the segments within one and a half years.
Rather like Skoda
Octavia then Laura and Superb, then Fabia, Yeti and now several other things. Only, they took longer about it. Renault on the other hand is trying to accelerate into the country by bringing a larger arsenal in a shorter space of time.

Yes the Scorpio was great when it came ten years ago but today despite all the various avatars and constant tweaking, it has become overpriced to an extent and they still havent been able to sort the ride and handling.

Hence like you said if the Duster pops up with lots of goodies and at a nice price theres lots of people who will buzz off and put their cash down towards it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Fact is scorpio is almost a decade old and it is now past its prime. It's handling is not too good. e, but as a product it has nothing more to offer than duster. W201 is a different case, but we dont know what its pricing will be.
Renault has confirmed duster and a hatch. winter 2011 and summer 2012 are either of these two. Which one is still confusing. But I dont think kangoo or scenis is planned for now.

Your calculations are correct. And I think most people here have speculated the price based on the euro region pricing.
You can see with every manufacturer here, the cars are overpriced not due to and practical aspects, but due to lack of will to price it sensibly. I very well know the taxes and duties at play. Somehow, that never explains by CKD units are priced close to CBU levels.
Lets hope sense prevails with Renault and price duster sensibly.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed