Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2011, 21:35   #406
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Fact is scorpio is almost a decade old and it is now past its prime. It's handling is not too good. And although it was a leap ahead for mahindra, even at that time, it was not better than what the other brands had to offer. Ofcourse we did not have any of that in India, so naturally scorpio was a hit. If duster is priced right, mahindra can reduce the price, but as a product it has nothing more to offer than duster. W201 is a different case, but we dont know what its pricing will be.

There are 5 cars planned. Renault has confirmed duster and a hatch. winter 2011 and summer 2012 are either of these two. Which one is still confusing. But I dont think kangoo or scenis is planned for now.

Your calculations are correct. And I think most people here have speculated the price based on the euro region pricing.
You can see with every manufacturer here, the cars are overpriced not due to and practical aspects, but due to lack of will to price it sensibly. I very well know the taxes and duties at play. Somehow, that never explains by CKD units are priced close to CBU levels.
Lets hope sense prevails with Renault and price duster sensibly.
Which CKD cars are you referring to by saying they are priced close to CBU levels?
Old 15th August 2011, 17:57   #407
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Which CKD cars are you referring to by saying they are priced close to CBU levels?
Q5 is one such - Audi reduced prices by a less than 1,5 Lac when they shifted assembling to India 2 years back - I am sure they must have increased this to CBU prices by now again - I tried to know the reasons from dealer who gave vague reasons . I agree with mxx

Recent example will be BMW - selling 530 D close to Rs 50 Lac & 730 D at around 75 Lac ( after discounts ) If you check international pricing say in UK this difference is OK but what happens to so called savings via CKD as 530D is manufactured here whereas they get 7 Series from Germany .

Quote:
the cars are overpriced not due to and practical aspects, but due to lack of will to price it sensibly
I feel that manufacturers here sell at prices what they deem fit there Target customers can pay because of less options - though we have almost all major manufactures but one look at there lineup viasvis there global range will give you a fair idea how is the competition . The only cars that we get cheaper than Europe or US are the one where manufacturers have got in tough fight with each other say Hatchbacks - a look at Swift UK & Indian rates will give you an idea ( though Indian one is short of few safety features )
Old 15th August 2011, 19:08   #408
Senior - BHPian

Is the Duster still happening? Read somewhere that the Koelos is the one coming soon!
Old 15th August 2011, 19:31   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Is the Duster still happening? Read somewhere that the Koelos is the one coming soon!
Koleos to come first [this year] as CBU & Duster will come by next year.
Old 15th August 2011, 22:35   #410
BHPian

Guys.. sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I just got news from my source at Renault and summer 2012 is indeed the Duster launch, but thats not actually the bad news.

Its going to be launched in the 4X2 avatar and not the 4X4. Infact even market response has shown that people want a 4X4 but the management is, at this point, going ahead with the 4X2 option. The strategy team is trying to convince them that they need to launch the 4X4 as well. So I am guessing its going to be another Fluence story where they forgot to get a lower variant for the petrol and a higher variant for the diesel.

And from what he said its terribly underpowered if you compare it to the scorps! They are trying to overcome this by saying thats its an SUV with the interior and comfort of a sedan!

Price range for 4X2 is going to be below 9l (top variant of 4X2 will be this 9l), if I heard it right Thats good news right! and that they might be offering options in lower variants for ABS, etc.

Last edited by sarmarishi : 15th August 2011 at 22:38.
sarmarishi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2011, 22:40   #411
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
The strategy team is trying to convince them that they need to launch the 4X4 as well. So I am guessing its going to be another Fluence story where they forgot to get a lower variant for the petrol and a higher variant for the diesel.
After reading numerous posts on TBHP about poor decision making about Auto products I am beginning to become convinced that Indian Management types in the Auto Industry are deficient morons who only look at market strategy without catering to genuine aspirations of consumers (depend on advertising bluster for that). I guess the thinking is purely based on competing with Scorpio 4x2.

Sorry but I just feel like it today. Its Independence day remember? (I'm free to express my views)

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 15th August 2011 at 22:43.
Old 15th August 2011, 23:32   #412
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And from what he said its terribly underpowered if you compare it to the scorps! They are trying to overcome this by saying thats its an SUV with the interior and comfort of a sedan!

I hope we are still talking diesel here and also the 1.5 dCi motor. Right?
If that is case. with the smaller build and size, is Duster still underpowered?
You can't compare it with Scorps for sure.

I hope they really push some "sedanic" comforts there. I am still OK with that as, 4x4 is not a big requirement for me.
But Shankar is not going to be happy at all.

Last edited by ampere : 15th August 2011 at 23:33.
Old 16th August 2011, 00:50   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Price range for 4X2 is going to be below 9l (top variant of 4X2 will be this 9l), if I heard it right Thats good news right! and that they might be offering options in lower variants for ABS, etc.
Not a good idea to launch a low power motor. Anyone has any idea of a power to weight ratio for Duster? As per the global website, the petrol motor is rated at 105 ps & diesel at 85 ps Renault.com - Renault Duster

They have highlighted the comfort factor in the above page as well. Now what caught my attention is the average FE of 4x2 & 4x4 which = almost 20 kmpl which mean that this car might set the sales charts on fire !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I hope they really push some "sedanic" comforts there. I am still OK with that as, 4x4 is not a big requirement for me.
But Shankar is not going to be happy at all.
I guess most of the people should be happy with a 4x2 option top variant for 9L ex showroom Diesel. May the "FE" concern also added to this decision. But having a 4WD option doesn't hurt anyone at another 1L premium !

Edit:: Guess its 85 KW [mentioned in global website] or so which converts to 105 ps approximately. Also some more R&D revealed some exciting points. Mileage as I said stand around 20 kmpl, 240 Nm torque, 0-100 in 11.1 seconds [faster than a Swift - sounds yummy!!] , gross weight of 1800 odd kgs which means p-w-r of 59, front & rear disc brakes, manual A/C in top end etc. Lets see what do we get here !

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 16th August 2011 at 01:11.
Old 16th August 2011, 06:21   #414
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

wait for the actual news from Renault. then take a decision. there's always the Yeti to go to!
Old 16th August 2011, 06:47   #415
BANNED

bad news certainly. but there is many a slip between cup and lip - read concept to execution.
hence I d wait for a more official press release on this before deciding.
whatever it is, my definition of what I want is very clear.
So if it is not to be the Duster for some reason, then perhaps the Yeti is the right beast for me. why not the Koleos even? provided it is not overly expensive and priced in line with the Fortuner.
Else, the used market is always there to fall back on - Tucsons, X Trails etc galore!

Quote:
Guys.. sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I just got news from my source at Renault and summer 2012 is indeed the Duster launch, but thats not actually the bad news.

Its going to be launched in the 4X2 avatar and not the 4X4. Infact even market response has shown that people want a 4X4 but the management is, at this point, going ahead with the 4X2 option. The strategy team is trying to convince them that they need to launch the 4X4 as well. So I am guessing its going to be another Fluence story where they forgot to get a lower variant for the petrol and a higher variant for the diesel.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 16th August 2011 at 06:48.
Old 16th August 2011, 08:08   #416
Team-BHP Support

Thats what even I have been saying @swift. 4x2 diesel becomes very good city dweller with good capacity for long
distance on highways (without OTR). The capability to ride through potholes of the city and the highway easily, the high FE
makes it a perfect lifestyle vehicle. The cherry on the topping being, 9L ex-showroom (~11 11.5L OTR Bangalore).

At least in line with my theory of the top of the line Duster 4x4 not being more than 13-14L OTR Bangalore max
(10 to 12L max ex-showtoom).

Lets wait for the official announcement.

Any pointers to how the vehicle handles on the roads?

Last edited by ampere : 16th August 2011 at 08:10.
Old 16th August 2011, 08:53   #417
BHPian

Yup.. lets hope that the management take on the suggestions of the strategy team and launch the 4X4 version as well. Yup I guess they have decided to launch the Duster with the point of view of our 'kitna deti hai' attitude. Else they could have easily put in a bigger engine.

YEs I am talking about the diesel in the above post!
Old 16th August 2011, 09:08   #418
BANNED

they would do well to listen to the VOX POPULI on this.
Absolutely need to have the foll:
4WD
All 4 Disc Brakes with their Bosch 8.1 ABS + EBD
TCS
ESP
Airbags - Front, Side and Centre (if possible)
105ps Diesel Engine should be ok
They should simply bring their international Top Spec vehicle and plug it in at roughly the same price as the second from top order Scorpio - lets say
around 14 lacs on road Bangalore.

Offer this top spec as an option to consumers. Keep a month's waiting period and produce the vehicle on firm order basis. Have a policy of consumers having to pay a higher "firm downpayment" than the normal one. Lets say Rs 1 lac or even 1.5 lacs instead of the more normal 50K booking amount. Offer the vehicle in a reasonable choice of colours and delight the consumer!!

How hard can it be to do the above? Especially for an International Giant like Renault Nissan - and more so especially if they are as serious about India as they claim to be!!

This Duster will certainly win from the urban utility perspective because it will offer pretty much all that the Yeti does but at a cheaper price and with a higher GC of 210mm compared with the Yeti's 180mm. Hence it will be perfect for our disastrous roads for general daily usage.

Wish they would listen!

Quote:
Yup.. lets hope that the management take on the suggestions of the strategy team and launch the 4X4 version as well. Yup I guess they have decided to launch the Duster with the point of view of our 'kitna deti hai' attitude. Else they could have easily put in a bigger engine.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 16th August 2011 at 09:10.
Old 16th August 2011, 10:05   #419
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
How hard can it be to do the above? Especially for an International Giant like Renault Nissan - and more so especially if they are as serious about India as they claim to be!!

This Duster will certainly win from the urban utility perspective because it will offer pretty much all that the Yeti does but at a cheaper price and with a higher GC of 210mm compared with the Yeti's 180mm. Hence it will be perfect for our disastrous roads for general daily usage.
Wish they would listen!
All they need to do is to see this thread!
They will then know, what is the vibrancy and expectation from this segment.
Old 16th August 2011, 10:13   #420
R.G
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks sarmarishi for the updates.

I am following this thread for sometime and most of my questions and concerns are shared and answered here already.

But this one seemed to have got no attention.

Terribly underpowered than scropio is a real concern here. Why is it so?

That will be a serious let down for me.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed