Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2011, 08:49   #466
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Renault largely IS for the masses outside of India. It is only here that they are trying to fiddle about in the "premium" game.
Very True! Out of the recent European entrants, only VW is successful in creating a mass base. Renault can learn a lot from VW.
Old 29th September 2011, 06:09   #467
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

latest autocar talks about renault bringing the duster into India only in 2WD avatar and pricing at around 7-9 lacs ex showroom.
clearly this looks like they are trying to please the budget conscious buyer.
i guess those of us who are looking forward to the 4WD duster with the top euro spec, have to bear with possible disappointment unless the renault boys listen to our constant wailing!
Old 29th September 2011, 07:31   #468
BHPian

Quote:
latest autocar talks about renault bringing the duster into India only in 2WD avatar and pricing at around 7-9 lacs ex showroom.
i guess those of us who are looking forward to the 4WD duster with the top euro spec, have to bear with possible disappointment unless the renault boys listen to our constant wailing!
Shankar where did you get this news from? Autocar website doesn’t have the details.

If its true then they will possibly find many buyers including myself.
I am after a well designed, frugal Diesel urban SUV with safety features. Not very fussed about 4WD. But yes, a top variant with 4WD and euro spec would be nice to have as an option.
Old 29th September 2011, 07:56   #469
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
any news on the time line of launch. I have booked the New Ford Fiesta and having driven a Fusion, i will miss the high GC. If this car is slated for launch in the next next and if i find it pleasing to drive, i could take my money here.
Old 29th September 2011, 08:47   #470
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I just bought the latest Autocar last evening at Bombay Airport on my way back home.

The October issue contains info about 50 new cars from different segments, slated for launch between now and end 2012.

Amongst these, the following SUV type vehicles are mentioned;

1.Yeti - lower 110 BHP spec but apparently with 4WD - early 2012
2. Duster - 2WD only to keep price down - Mid 2012
3. Ford EcoSport Small SUV with tailgate mounted spare - Early 2012 - but no news about 4WD
4. Mahindra Xylo - Mini SUV with tailgate mounted spare (with 4WD as an option) - Early 2012
5. Mahindra XUV of course which we all know about and which is being unveiled today.
6. Ssangyong Korando - sometime in early 2012 - but expensively priced - positioned above XUV
7. Ssangyong Rexton - to compete with Fortuner and Captiva etc- end of 2012
8. Tata Merlin - sometime early 2012
Old 29th September 2011, 09:22   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In scandinavia, the euro price of Renault Dacia Duster is starting from 16k euros.(approx 10l inr) . That ways shankar you are probably right in saying the mass ppl pleasing factor.
Old 29th September 2011, 11:11   #472
rbp
BHPian

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/10164981.cms
Quote:
Renault, which has announced a five-car roll out by December 2012, will bring in the mini SUV, the Duster, by the first half of next year. "This will be a heavily Indianised car, not like the Dacia Duster that you see in Europe," Curran said.
Doesnt sound promising :(.
Old 29th September 2011, 16:07   #473
Senior - BHPian

Renault version of the Dacia Duster looks ugly.

I may consider 2WD variant with basic equipment+ 86PS Engine + ABS + dual airbag if they price it bw 8-9 L OTR :-)
Old 29th September 2011, 16:22   #474
Senior - BHPian

XUV500 pricing has set the cat amongst the pigeons literally If Duster has to succeed with the amount of equipment it carries internationally along with so-so interiors, it has to come at 7-8L ex-showroom for 2WD.
Old 29th September 2011, 16:34   #475
Senior - BHPian

My gut feel: Given what the XUV-500 promises to deliver, and at that price, the Duster 4WD is already blown to Dust, even before it could start off. There is still some scope for the 2WD version to sell some, provided they firmly stay South of 9 Lakhs On-Road. Anything more, and there is hardly any case to go for the Duster.
Old 29th September 2011, 17:22   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
My gut feel: Given what the XUV-500 promises to deliver, and at that price, the Duster 4WD is already blown to Dust, even before it could start off. There is still some scope for the 2WD version to sell some, provided they firmly stay South of 9 Lakhs On-Road. Anything more, and there is hardly any case to go for the Duster.

Though I would like actually to see the XUV500 in the flesh, and find out how it is to drive, I do tend to agree with you that the Duster is going to be starting majorly handicapped now!

Perhaps the Duster is the 'Down' part of what is apparently Renault's 'Top-Down' strategy for brand building in India.

In which case they may price it well, but still, unless they are able to come up with a really serious USP, like fully-loaded with features and 4WD at a price point at, or below the XUV, it may be another Ford Fusion which is somehow just too small and just too expensive.
Old 29th September 2011, 17:36   #477
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
Though I would like actually to see the XUV500 in the flesh, and find out how it is to drive, I do tend to agree with you that the Duster is going to be starting majorly handicapped now!

Perhaps the Duster is the 'Down' part of what is apparently Renault's 'Top-Down' strategy for brand building in India.

In which case they may price it well, but still, unless they are able to come up with a really serious USP, like fully-loaded with features and 4WD at a price point at, or below the XUV, it may be another Ford Fusion which is somehow just too small and just too expensive.
The top end 4x4 XUV would come to about 16L OTR in BLR. So the Duster top end should be priced in at about 13L OTR to
really differentiate its USP both as a product as a price.

That I think should set it right.

Last edited by ampere : 29th September 2011 at 17:46.
Old 29th September 2011, 17:45   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The top end 4x4 XUV would come to about 16L in BLR. Duster top end should be priced in at about13L to really differentiate its USP both as a product as a price.

That I think should set it right.
I wonder if you'd actually get a top-end model Duster (assuming this means fully loaded with ACC, AWD, etc) at 13L OTR in B'lore???

But somehow I think a top-end Duster would be more like 12-13L ex-showroom rather than OTR. But of course this is all speculation.

I would certainly consider buying it at your suggested price as it would be quite a bit less here in Gurgaon! But then, I also bought a Ford Fusion, and apparently not many other people did the same!
Old 29th September 2011, 17:57   #479
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
I wonder if you'd actually get a top-end model Duster (assuming this means fully loaded with ACC, AWD, etc) at 13L OTR in B'lore???

But somehow I think a top-end Duster would be more like 12-13L ex-showroom rather than OTR. But of course this is all speculation.

I would certainly consider buying it at your suggested price as it would be quite a bit less here in Gurgaon! But then, I also bought a Ford Fusion, and apparently not many other people did the same!
You have me for company!
(I too bought the Fusion when it was launched and I still drive it!)
12-13 Ex-BLR would be then really dwelling into XUV territory.

Also going by what Renault management seems to say (after reading the press releases) I feel (again speculation) that the Duster releasing in India would be a heavily "stripped down" version.
Most probably they may not provide AWD/ACC and other goodies and still price that trim as top end with 13-14L OTR BLR. But we may expect a well engineered product.

Lets hope their pricing also comes good. And going by Shankar's point on ACI article,
we also have Ecosport coming, perhaps in the same territory.

Wow! From having nothing, we may be spoilt for choice next year.
Old 29th September 2011, 18:36   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
....we also have Ecosport coming, perhaps in the same territory.

Wow! From having nothing, we may be spoilt for choice next year.

Indeed, it would be a good idea to wait for a bit before splurging our hard earned cash. I had almost decided to trade in my Fusion for a new Fiesta, but the price totally threw me off, not to mention that the Fusion seems vastly more spacious inside!

So now I have decided to continue with the Fusion until something is really worth the switch!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks