Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2011, 00:33   #706
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapss View Post
If Mahindra Xylo CS can be a 5+2 seating car at that footprint, I see no reason why two jump/kid seats cant be accomodated in a Duster. Having an option does not hurt anyone.
When a car is designed for a purpose, it must fulfill that purpose, to begin with.

A car like the Duster was never designed and built to be a 7 seater. It's a 5-seater and always will be. When a company goes out and designs a 7-seater SUV or MUV, the car's chassis is designed accordingly, and the suspension is designed to take the extra load, if need be. A car's internal structure is designed to accommodate 7 passengers when such aspects are taken into consideration. Even safety (side impact beams for the 3rd row) is given importance.

One cannot simply throw in an extra set of seats and make it a 7 seater just like that. There is a whole lot of design engineering that goes into a car. it's not as simple as that.

EDIT: Having such an option may actually hurt someone. If the car is not designed for 7 people, imagine the consequences of an accident where the 3rd row in the most affected?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th December 2011 at 00:53.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 09:27   #707
BHPian

Hi,

Duster videos from YouTube:

by AutoCar UK:
Nice, simple, factual.

by AutoCar India:

Nice one (but get repetitive after a the first 3-4 min)

Cool Playlist of Duster, 33 videos:
Dacia Duster - YouTube

enjoy
Old 9th December 2011, 10:13   #708
BHPian

These 2 links don't display as a YouTube video box, (not sure why).
Reposting as you might miss them and they are really informative.

by AutoCar UK: Nice, simple, factual.

Cool Playlist of Duster, 33 videos:
Dacia Duster - YouTube

cheers,
Old 9th December 2011, 10:18   #709
BHPian

Quote:
If Mahindra Xylo CS can be a 5+2 seating car at that footprint, I see no reason why two jump/kid seats cant be accomodated in a Duster. Having an option does not hurt anyone.
Xylo as a matter of fact is just slightly longer than Duster. So that helps. However even in a Xylo I won't put anything more than a dog (just joking).
Old 9th December 2011, 11:43   #710
BHPian

Well said. There are so many reasons why one is looking for a five seater in a market with multiple 7/8 seater options.

For instance, Some how I am caught with the Bigger is better even inside the city. It is the state of mind that people (water tanker, city buses, for that matter 2 wheelers ) don't give a ------- about fast cars / its a jaguar. Bigger is better.

Our roads are filled with surprises, a clear high stand visibility has become a must nowadays. Inside city roads are the worst in its form in past 4 years. Every time my lancer goes over a pot hole, I say why am I even paying taxes? - Its just my opinion.

Duster - Just love the looks (subjective). Just made for Indians looking for a 5 seater SUV and cannot afford a Xtrail or the others..

~koli
Old 9th December 2011, 13:14   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
When a car is designed for a purpose, it must fulfill that purpose, to begin with.

A car like the Duster was never designed and built to be a 7 seater. It's a 5-seater and always will be. When a company goes out and designs a 7-seater SUV or MUV, the car's chassis is designed accordingly, and the suspension is designed to take the extra load, if need be. A car's internal structure is designed to accommodate 7 passengers when such aspects are taken into consideration. Even safety (side impact beams for the 3rd row) is given importance.

One cannot simply throw in an extra set of seats and make it a 7 seater just like that. There is a whole lot of design engineering that goes into a car. it's not as simple as that.

EDIT: Having such an option may actually hurt someone. If the car is not designed for 7 people, imagine the consequences of an accident where the 3rd row in the most affected?
Obviously Renault would have to make the changes before launching to meet the front/side impact crash norms of the country. I by no means implied that you would just add the two seats and be done with it.
I meant that the length of the car can accommodate such a configuration.
And the changes necessitated would not imply a huge amount of work either. Side impact beams and rear crumple zones can be worked out and the necessary investment would be justified in a country like India where families are normally non nuclear, especially for the audience which Duster targets (middle class households) where it would be the only car in the household.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
Xylo as a matter of fact is just slightly longer than Duster. So that helps. However even in a Xylo I won't put anything more than a dog (just joking).
I would be surprised if Xylo CS as longer than Duster.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by .anshuman : 9th December 2011 at 15:20. Reason: see note in post
Old 9th December 2011, 13:34   #712
BHPian

I guess this thread should be closed for now till the time something substantial related to the launch of Renault Duster actually happens. Or it would go on the lines of Mahindra Thar launch where there were 500 posts even before the actual launch of the vehicle with people listing their wish list.
Old 9th December 2011, 13:53   #713
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Obviously Renault would have to make the changes before launching to meet the front/side impact crash norms of the country. I by no means implied that you would just add the two seats and be done with it.
I meant that the length of the car can accommodate such a configuration.
And the changes necessitated would not imply a huge amount of work either. Side impact beams and rear crumple zones can be worked out and the necessary investment would be justified in a country like India where families are normally non nuclear, especially for the audience which Duster targets (middle class households) where it would be the only car in the household.
They could consider this move once they have a strong foot-hold in the Indian Market and it also depends on the success of the Duster. If over a period of 3 years, it has exceeded Renault's expectations, they could think, or attempt to make a 7-seat Duster. But that would mean the purpose of owning a mini-SUV itself is defeated. :P
Old 9th December 2011, 13:58   #714
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Actually, this is what needs to be done.
You just need to throw in 2 extra seats, and suddenly, your ARAI mandated restrictions are reduced.
Make a five seater, and you have to fulfil a lot more things as compared to 7 seaters.
so just fixing 2 tiny seats fit for just kids in the rear will make it easier for you to make ARAI regulation, and market perception also changes.
Old 9th December 2011, 14:05   #715
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Actually, this is what needs to be done.
You just need to throw in 2 extra seats, and suddenly, your ARAI mandated restrictions are reduced.
Make a five seater, and you have to fulfil a lot more things as compared to 7 seaters.
so just fixing 2 tiny seats fit for just kids in the rear will make it easier for you to make ARAI regulation, and market perception also changes.
What I'm trying to say is, if Renault is truly interested in a 7-seater mini-SUV, they must begin from the drawing board, and design a car that's made to be a 7-seater from the start. They could base it on the Duster, albeit an extended version, perhaps?

Why resort to a copy-paste job. It's a trend that's become so popular with cars sold in India. I personally would not an under-cooked car.
Old 9th December 2011, 14:23   #716
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What I'm trying to say is, if Renault is truly interested in a 7-seater mini-SUV, they must begin from the drawing board, and design a car that's made to be a 7-seater from the start. They could base it on the Duster, albeit an extended version, perhaps?

Why resort to a copy-paste job. It's a trend that's become so popular with cars sold in India. I personally would not an under-cooked car.
Any company is obligated to maximizing profits.
By putting in two seats they can actually skimp on emission regulations, and host of other regulations, and then price it lower which can meet better sales.
Why should they do something which market will not appreciate?
Welcome to the real world.

They also know that most small SUVs will be used as 5 seaters, and the 2 extra seats will go waste.
consider the competition.

Safari with side facing seats. Suitable for just kids, no seatbelts. Similarly, scorpio with side facing seats. Why should they do something extra and increase their input cost?

Last edited by tsk1979 : 9th December 2011 at 14:24.
Old 9th December 2011, 14:51   #717
BHPian

Quote:

Actually they have the Logan MCV which is a 7-seater, they can drape it in Duster clothes, but they wont.

The reason the Duster will be sold in India is that it is cheap to make it here and export it as Dacia for the RHD markets.

This is how they actually advertise the Duster in Europe (atleast in the Netherlands)

http://www.dacia.nl/dacia-gamma/duster/ontdek/index.jsp

They moved the Micra production to India from UK for the RHD market and instead produce the Nissan Juke there.

I am not really sure if they are serious about their market share in India.

Last edited by indivic : 9th December 2011 at 14:55.
indivic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 16:13   #718
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any company is obligated to maximizing profits.
By putting in two seats they can actually skimp on emission regulations, and host of other regulations, and then price it lower which can meet better sales.
Why should they do something which market will not appreciate?
Welcome to the real world.

They also know that most small SUVs will be used as 5 seaters, and the 2 extra seats will go waste.
consider the competition.

Safari with side facing seats. Suitable for just kids, no seatbelts. Similarly, scorpio with side facing seats. Why should they do something extra and increase their input cost?
It does make sense, economically, for the company as well as the customer. But the end result is still a fix it and sell it 5+2 seater. It may work. But it isn't a product that I'd consider. Actually, no, I'd still consider it. I'd just remove the +2 seats and throw them away. (we do have the option of taking them off altogether, right?)

It's just my opinion. It's not a true 7 seater, and the 2 seats at the back aren't particularly safe either, so I just won't put it to use.
Old 9th December 2011, 16:16   #719
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It does make sense, economically, for the company as well as the customer. But the end result is still a fix it and sell it 5+2 seater. It may work. But it isn't a product that I'd consider. Actually, no, I'd still consider it. I'd just remove the +2 seats and throw them away. (we do have the option of taking them off altogether, right?)

It's just my opinion. It's not a true 7 seater, and the 2 seats at the back aren't particularly safe either, so I just won't put it to use.
Suhaas, when the competition is also "fix it" or "jugaad" it will not matter.
I would buy such a vehicle, because I am looking for a 5 seater. I do not care about extra two seats. Only very few people care.
Most customers of this vehicle will not care for 7 seats
but ARAI definitely cares. The +2 is for ARAI, not for us!
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 16:32   #720
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Suhaas, when the competition is also "fix it" or "jugaad" it will not matter.
I would buy such a vehicle, because I am looking for a 5 seater. I do not care about extra two seats. Only very few people care.
Most customers of this vehicle will not care for 7 seats
but ARAI definitely cares. The +2 is for ARAI, not for us!

Sir,

Is the Duster as large as the Safari? I'm not sure. Judging by the pictures, it's about Yeti sized, or maybe a little smaller. So will there be room for two cursory seats? And will it be reasonably comfortable for children/smaller people?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed