Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2011, 16:05   #736
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
. The ultra low cost ones like Alto and Santro, for those who can just about cobble up finances for a new car.
. The performance vehicles for enthusiasts, which have TSi or equivalent high performance engine
Well Said. Also, we can expect some Cedia, VRs, other petrol performers on the used market to cost more.

Duster - Why is the 1.6L version is not spoken on the web like the 1.5 diesel? For a person's usage is max 3000 km / month, is it not good to have a Petrol version?
Old 14th December 2011, 18:45   #737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolimuttai View Post
Well Said. Also, we can expect some Cedia, VRs, other petrol performers on the used market to cost more.

Duster - Why is the 1.6L version is not spoken on the web like the 1.5 diesel? For a person's usage is max 3000 km / month, is it not good to have a Petrol version?
With the rising Petrol prices, anything more than 1200-1500kms a month is now a Diesel territory. You can also justify a diesel at 1000km/month in some cases if the premium is not too high between similar variants.
Old 25th December 2011, 12:41   #738
BHPian

Today CNBC Awaaz (Hindi news channel) was airing top 12 cars of 2012 with their prices and rating of their experts (Tutu Dhawan, Mr. Mukherjee and a third guy whose name I don't remember).

Duster gets a three star rating and they claim that Duster WILL come with a 4X4 variant! Pricing again speculated to be starting at 7L for the base model!

Along with this, they also showed the Bajaj's car which is slated for 3rd Jan 12 launch!!!
Old 25th December 2011, 13:21   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT
Today CNBC Awaaz (Hindi news channel) was airing top 12 cars of 2012 with their prices and rating of their experts (Tutu Dhawan, Mr. Mukherjee and a third guy whose name I don't remember).

Duster gets a three star rating and they claim that Duster WILL come with a 4X4 variant! Pricing again speculated to be starting at 7L for the base model!

Along with this, they also showed the Bajaj's car which is slated for 3rd Jan 12 launch!!!

Three stars out of how many? Seems low even out of 5, considering the level of anticipation that exists.
Old 25th December 2011, 14:52   #740
Senior - BHPian

3 Stars seem pretty good enough. Considering that SUVs have never fared very well in terms Safety Ratings. But if the upcoming Ford EcoSport comes out with a 5 star rating, it could turn interesting. But sadly, not many look at these ratings in our country, the numbers that matter for the average Indian customer is
1. ARAI fuel efficiency numbers.
2. Pricing
So safety rating might not influence buying decision here
Old 25th December 2011, 17:22   #741

Renault is Launching the Dacia Duster, let us not have any confusion about it. It is a Dacia Duster and not a Logan MCV or Logan estate. It is going to be launched with certain India specific tweaks, details are held back, to make it a extremely competitive option for the ever-wondering Indian Buyers. It is a highly successful compact SUV in Europe and pride of the Romania-based Renault-owned Dacia.
Further the production will at the Chennai Plant in Oragadam.
Old 26th December 2011, 11:02   #742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
Three stars out of how many? Seems low even out of 5, considering the level of anticipation that exists.
The rating was out of 5 (not to be confused with the 5 Star safety ratings). Even I do not agree with rating this car has been given. Look at it, checks all the right boxes. Small SUV, with a 4X4, a decent engine, good boot space and can carry 5 with comfort. As for the 1.5L engine, I think it has been tried and tested a lot on Indian road conditions and I think it will do goodin the Duster as well.

Only the pricing is what will determine the fate of this otherwise good vehicle. Price it right and take the cake home, Renault, are you listening?? !!!
Old 27th December 2011, 19:04   #743
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Renault Duster to debut at Auto Expo - News - Autocar India

But it’s not an all-out off-roader and will be available in India in two-wheel-drive only
I hope it is typo:(.
Old 27th December 2011, 19:07   #744
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
I hope it is typo:(.
The Duster is not supposed to be an off-roader in the first place. It's just a soft-roader that can tackle rough surfaces and beaten roads. The 4x4 wouldn't help to that great an extent that it would justify the extra costs. So Renault must have decided to scrap the 4x4 system in order to keep the costs down and ensure better FE.

After all, Renault is trying to price it competitively.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th December 2011 at 19:08.
Old 27th December 2011, 21:41   #745
Distinguished - BHPian

It's not a surprise and i was actually surprised when i heard that they were offering both 4x2 and 4x4 in India at sub 10lac prices.
My friend was looking forward to the Duster specially for it's AWD system ,after the news he is also looking at the Ecosport,since now it doesn't make any difference to him.
Old 27th December 2011, 23:38   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
It's not a surprise and i was actually surprised when i heard that they were offering both 4x2 and 4x4 in India at sub 10lac prices.
My friend was looking forward to the Duster specially for it's AWD system ,after the news he is also looking at the Ecosport,since now it doesn't make any difference to him.
Agree that Renault might end offering just the 4X2 version in India (Dunno why all the news on channels say it is going to come with a 4X4 version though!!), but if the spare parts cost and servicing costs of Renault are less than that of Ford, it will make a lot of difference.

Ask me!!! I am a Ford Figo TDCi owner and when it costs me Rs. 5000/- for a normal 20K service it really burns a hole in the pocket! So if the Renault can bring down this cost either by increasing the time duration for servicing or by lowering the spare parts and servicing cost, it surely will make a difference!
Old 28th December 2011, 01:15   #747
BHPian

On the one hand Renault is planning to price & position its Pulse Diesel hatchback at ~Rs.6 lacs for base variant, which is pretty expensive for an already expensive car on which it's actually based(i.e Nissan Micra).
Even their other cars -Fluence & Koleos are also priced at a Premium as per its competitiors. So, How one can assume that another much Anticipated offering is going to be priced Sensibly.
Atleast, I don't think so.
Definitely Renault India will try to exploit this situation & the Vacuum in its Demand.
Old 28th December 2011, 14:06   #748
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster. Spy pics

Duster spotted in India. I love it - the car looks BIG!

Pics by Motorbeam

Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!-2012_renault_duster_spied.jpg

Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!-2012_renault_duster_suv_spied_india.jpg

Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!-renault_duster_spied_india.jpg
swiftnfurious is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 15:40   #749
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster. Spy pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Duster spotted in India. I love it - the car looks BIG!
Finally!!!!! Was thinking it will only be in the Auto Expo that we will get a true glimpse of Duster.

Thanks swiftnfurious!!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 16:30   #750
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

It certainly seems a good sized vehicle but there's really no point if they do not offer it in the Top Euro Spec with 4WD and all the bells and whistles.
Without all the functional bits all one will be getting is a large hunk of metal and rubber which doesnt cut it for me at least.
However, who knows, they may yet pull something out of their collective hats and surprise us!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed