Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2010, 12:54   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
There is hardly any difference in feature between a Punto Emotion+ and Swift ZXI yet the price difference is more than 75K which is totally unjustified. Base variant also has a 20K difference.What is key is the engine - Swift has a new 1.2L engine which is peppy and more fuel efficient.
The 75k difference could be because of the additional features in Punto: Blue & Me (don't know how useful it is though), split folding seats, seatbelt warning buzzer etc.
Please correct me if the last 2 features are available in Swift ZXi!!
Also, isn't Punto's steel thicker?
Old 4th February 2010, 15:00   #92
Senior - BHPian

Lets add Beat & Ritz to the comparo!!

Quote:
There is hardly any difference in feature between a Punto Emotion+ and Swift ZXI yet the price difference is more than 75K which is totally unjustified. Base variant also has a 20K difference.What is key is the engine - Swift has a new 1.2L engine which is peppy and more fuel efficient.
Well depends on how you would like to compare Punto E+ with Swift Zxi!
Lets forget about Punto & Swift for a moment and talk about Swift Zxi, Ritz Zxi and Beat LT OP. All 3 are equally equipped. Technically there may be no difference between Swift & Ritz Zxi but still has a price difference of Rs.33,615.

No matter how you compare Swift with Ritz, IMO swift deserves the price difference over Ritz, similarly Punto over Swift.

However When we compare Swift & Ritz to Beat, later looks more VFM and makes Swift/Ritz look costly.

Punto with 1.4ltr engine does not get tax benefit which is for cars within 4mtrs of length and engine "equal or less then" 1200cc (petrol).

Price comparison between Beat, Ritz & Swift.
Beat LT Option Pack 4,44,206
RITZ ZXI BS IV 4,89,792
MARUTI SWIFT ZXI 5,23,407

Here are some "on-paper" differences between Swift Zxi & Punto E+.
1. Swift
185/70 R14
Internally adjusted OVRM
Single folding rear bench seat
Integrated audio system (4 Speakers)

2. Punto
195 / 60 R15
Electrically Adjust OVRM
Rear seats split Folding - 60:40
Integrated audio system (6 Speakers)
Dual Tone Dashboard
Blue & Me

Other than these differences there are many significant differences between Swift & Punto which can be known only if you spend some time with both cars.
Old 4th February 2010, 17:24   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Punto with 1.4ltr engine does not get tax benefit which is for cars within 4mtrs of length and engine "equal or less then" 1200cc (petrol).
Fiat has almost finalized plans to launch Emotion and Emotion+ variants of its 1.2L engine (As per Bnzjon's meeting with Mangesh). It'd be interesting then to see the price difference between Swift ZXi and a Punto 1.2 Emotion+
Old 4th February 2010, 20:33   #94
BHPian

OT : a sales manager at fiat showroom in noida was claiming that a new diesel and petrol version shall launch by june-july period. any news on this ?
Old 4th February 2010, 21:23   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donzerus View Post
Fiat has almost finalized plans to launch Emotion and Emotion+ variants of its 1.2L engine (As per Bnzjon's meeting with Mangesh). It'd be interesting then to see the price difference between Swift ZXi and a Punto 1.2 Emotion+
Punto 1.4 is currently at a premium over swift as it does not get the Excise benefit. Other than that, there are a few features like Bue and me and wider tyres more than the Swift zxi.

The Punto 1.4 engine itself is no match to the Swift K series leave alone the 1.2. I think Fiat should bring in the 1.4 TJet in the Punto to compete with Swift.
Old 4th February 2010, 21:51   #96
BANNED

Quote:
Could you please point out how ?
Even though i am well aware of FIAT and Maruti but may be i am wrong so i kindly request yourself to compare .

Regards
Old 4th February 2010, 22:07   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
The Punto 1.4 engine itself is no match to the Swift K series leave alone the 1.2.
I have been hearing this a lot. What actually qualifies this statement? What fats and figures? Can you please quantify your statement?
Old 4th February 2010, 23:21   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Punto 1.4 engine itself is no match to the Swift K series leave alone the 1.2.
I would also like to know more on this statement. What makes you feel like Swift's 1.2 is better than than Punto's 1.4?
Old 5th February 2010, 01:55   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
I would also like to know more on this statement. What makes you feel like Swift's 1.2 is better than than Punto's 1.4?
Not sure if the engine is better or not, or vice versa, but Punto sure needs better engines, to match the Swift in performance.

Power to weight. Swift ZXi v/s Punto 1.4*

Swift 1.2 - 85ps/ 1010kgs - 84.16 ps/ton.
Punto 1.4- 90ps/ 1145kgs - 78.60 ps/ton.
Punto 1.2- 68ps/ 1145kgs - 59.39 ps/ton.

Also, 1.4 FIRE produces only 5 ps more from 1368cc, compared to K12 with just 1197cc.

Torque

Swift 1.2 - 113Nm/ 1010kgs.
Punto 1.4- 115Nm/ 1145kgs.
Punto 1.2- 96Nm/ 1145kgs.

Hopefully, FIAT will launch the Sports with a decent price tag! Looking forward to owning a 100+bhp Punto (with Pete's).

* Version not mentioned in brochure. Source for swift- website. Source for punto- e-brochure.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th February 2010 at 02:11.
Old 5th February 2010, 05:36   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
I have been hearing this a lot. What actually qualifies this statement? What fats and figures? Can you please quantify your statement?
I would suggest you drive the two cars back to back and you will know the answer. Right from refinement to performance to Fuel efficiency, pretty much everything is taken care of by Suzuki's 1.2. Two area where Punto's 1.4 lacks is performance and efficiency.

Crazy Driver's figures also supports the claims made above.
Old 5th February 2010, 09:10   #101
Senior - BHPian

@Chevelle

While what you claim might be true, I would urge you to try out the Punto 1.4. The engine note is amazing, one man's lack of refinement is another man's sporty exhaust note.
While not being as fuel efficient as a Swift 1.2, can't beat the laws of physics, it is not a gas guzzler by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 5th February 2010, 09:38   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
I think more than the obvious advantage in figures as pointed by @Crazy Driver, just take a back to back test drive of both. I have taken a back to test drive of Ritz ZXi, Punto 1.4. Clearly Punto is a lethargic mover atleast in city where I TD.

Ritz petrol is really smooth, peppy and brisk. Ritz is itself heavier than Swift and so with the driving dynamics of Swift and the 1.2 k series, Swift will be even better compared to Punto not to mention the FE of the Swift. Punto needs to bring in the 1.4 Tjet and that too at the existing 1.4 price to even stand a chance against the Swift.
Old 5th February 2010, 10:58   #103
BANNED

People here are comparing two cars which are entirely different .What use is performance when you cannot match it with delivery .
Swift , Riz , Dzire are more or less the same.
But when you say Swift beating PUnto i am at loss of words .We do not drive on straight smooth tarmacs , nor do we do 0-100 kmph like f1 style .But what we do is use the gearbox for best efficiency , push the brakes to the limit when situation arises , steer the car when need be , ride over potholes more than on roads .
\
So just saying A's 0-100kmph is better than B m,akes B a better car that doesnot work out .
What Punto is offering is best value for money including as a package along with that superb warranty .

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 5th February 2010 at 11:02.
Old 5th February 2010, 11:03   #104
BHPian

^Well sir, the question was not which car "feels" less lethargic to drive but about a statement that engine A is better than engine B. I can understand the dynamics involved in driveability of a car, but how does it make a particular engine bad, I fail to understand. As far as efficiency is concerned, till the time we do not have authentic figures, why berate anything? You are entitled to your view and me to mine, but please do backup your views with figures if you would like your view to be influencing mine.
Old 5th February 2010, 11:57   #105
BHPian

Quote:
I think more than the obvious advantage in figures as pointed by @Crazy Driver, just take a back to back test drive of both. I have taken a back to test drive of Ritz ZXi, Punto 1.4. Clearly Punto is a lethargic mover atleast in city where I TD.

Ritz petrol is really smooth, peppy and brisk. Ritz is itself heavier than Swift and so with the driving dynamics of Swift and the 1.2 k series, Swift will be even better compared to Punto not to mention the FE of the Swift. Punto needs to bring in the 1.4 Tjet and that too at the existing 1.4 price to even stand a chance against the Swift.
The Fiat 1.4 on an Alto will be faster than the Swift or the Ritz. Does it then qualify the 1.4 to be a better engine? I understand that the Punto needs a bigger engine, and that is not because the 1.4 is bad, but because the Punto is heavy.

Most Viewed