Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2010, 23:23   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
Waiting to see the GL on our roads. Any idea about its pricing? I think it will be around 1crore if not more.
The GL is priced at Rs.66L (Approx) and S500 at 95L (Approx) X-Showroom Delhi.
The S500 is by far the most expensive 'Made In India' car by MBIL.
Old 4th January 2010, 23:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

The new E-class looks much better in coupe form.
Old 5th January 2010, 00:27   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

E class coupe in india?
WOW,it looks damn sexy in the same colour as above "white with black panaromic roof"
though i would like mine in a more economical 4 pot,manyal tranny version

The medium BiG S daddy in india finally!!!
Hope the GL gives a good fight to the Q7,which is currently"indias darlin' SUV"

Last edited by Zappo : 5th January 2010 at 00:33. Reason: Please do not make these back to back posts. Use the Edit button to add to your previous post in the first 20 minutes.
Old 5th January 2010, 00:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Mereceds today officially launched the GL350 CDI SUV and 2010 S500L in India. The "Made in India" quote in the press release puts forward the fact the S500, which was earlier imported as a CBU will now be assembled in India.
Even when the S class is made in India, why are they charging us at CBU rates!! The price for an S-class in India should ideally be in the 50-70L range!!
Same goes with other German companies too! They are just looting rich Indians!
Old 5th January 2010, 09:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Now there is a small decrease in the price of S500 as it is assembled in India. S500 L costs 95 lakh and GL350 CDI is available as a CBU import at 64.9 lakh (both ex-showroom, Delhi). At this price the GL is a steal and its sure that sales of Audi Q7 will be affected.
Old 5th January 2010, 11:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Q7 is 53 to 54 lacs ex showroom unless those have changed Q7 undercuts the GL by cool 10 lacs no small amount. The Q7's 3rd row is a joke even a dog would not be comfortable sitting there and whatever I saw of the GL's 3rd row showed there may be some leg room but seat back hieght was too low infact so was the 2nd row odd for a european car. Even the ML with 2nd row headrests down has seats which have an abruptly low seat back!
Old 5th January 2010, 11:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Launch meaning what...CKD?

The full line of Mercs was always available.
The entire line up of Mercedes is not available here Mpower. My friends got their GL's and CL directly as the company would not get it for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
GL is much much bigger as compared to the ML. Its like comparing the Hummer H3 & H2.
Not at all Maverick. The ML is broader but shorter than the GL. Its would be more X5 compared to the new Landcruiser. The GL looks plain jane compared to the ML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydevil View Post
Any idea of the current price of the S500?? Would there be a difference now that its a CKD??
Ealier 1.2 cr with the car being a CBU, now 95 lakhs since it is a CKD.

Quote:
I know some 1 who paid a cool 1.4cr for the 500 in Black Colour. The car simply looks awesome in that colour
1.4cr i do not think is the right amount mentioned to you by the person. My aunts car costed 1.2 on road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
GL is a full blown SUV, with 3 rows of seating while ML has 2 rows.
More bigger in size compared to ML, much better interiors, comfort and added features. And if i may dare to say, GL will have better off-road capability than ML which is basically a soft roader.

its like Q5 and Q7 of Audi. hope you get the drift
Beg to differ here Chevelle. Both cars are full blown SUV's. Seating capacity does not make one a capable SUV and the other not.
The GL is bigger and the interiors are more gizmo but the same as the ML. In my opinioun the ML has better interiors.
The ML by no means is a soft roader, please do get behind the wheel of one and you would know for your self. Both the GL and the ML are capable off roaders. The electronic assists for both cars is the same.

Here again you are wrong. Mercedes has the GLK to compete with the Q5 and the ML against the Q7. The GL is on a league of its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
The GL has great road presence and looks more or like ML 350 but bigger than 350.I am saying this since i was this SUV which was US version car driven by a consulate on 31'st.
Not at all Sudan_NFS. The are poles apart in looks. The GL is more boxy and the ML has the lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The car that you see below will be launched tomorrow at Rs. 56-58 lakhs ex-showroom Delhi fully loaded with panoramic sunroof. Wheels will be 17", not the 18" AMG wheels that you see here.
Thats the CL350 and the older version was launched at last years Auto Expo but did not do well due to the priceing. Hope this time around they have priced it well. 60 odd Lakhs i presume. Few cars are already in Bombay. Panoramic roof is an option and i dont think it would be a standard feature for the car. I had spoken to the guys at Mercedes and they told me it would be a normal top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
The new E-class looks much better in coupe form.
It is not the E class coupe but the CL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Even when the S class is made in India, why are they charging us at CBU rates!! The price for an S-class in India should ideally be in the 50-70L range!!
Same goes with other German companies too! They are just looting rich Indians!
Duties and taxes my friend. Thats what the Indian are for any foriegn company, Milking Cows. I guess we would have to live with paying high prices which would cost fractions in other countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
Now there is a small decrease in the price of S500 as it is assembled in India. S500 L costs 95 lakh and GL350 CDI is available as a CBU import at 64.9 lakh (both ex-showroom, Delhi). At this price the GL is a steal and its sure that sales of Audi Q7 will be affected.
65 lakhs is a steal for this car and it surely would sell in large nombers. The company should have brought down the GL420 as well, or i do hope the dealerships take orders for them.

@ Canonball. The ML is at the same price range and a competitor for the Q7. The GL is on its own for now and exclusive compared to the Q7. The third row of the GL is reasonable compared to the others and would not house a really tall person well. The ML rear seats are very comfortable and do not have a low seat back.

Last edited by speedy : 5th January 2010 at 11:50.
Old 5th January 2010, 11:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Beg to differ here Chevelle. Both cars are full blown SUV's. Seating capacity does not make one a capable SUV and the other not.
The GL is bigger and the interiors are more gizmo but the same as the ML. In my opinioun the ML has better interiors.
The ML by no means is a soft roader, please do get behind the wheel of one and you would know for your self. Both the GL and the ML are capable off roaders. The electronic assists for both cars is the same.

Here again you are wrong. Mercedes has the GLK to compete with the Q5 and the ML against the Q7. The GL is on a league of its own.
Yes, speedy, i missed out on GLK, just went out of my mind. sorry my bad.
I do agree they both are SUV, but i was comparing off-road capability of both and not segment wise.

i have driven the ML350 and GL450 and found GL to be much better on road and off the road. Honestly, interiors and features of GL were wee bit better than ML. I was comparing interiors of US spec ML and GL. Don't think they would be much different than India or UK counterparts. I mentioned soft roader for ML in comparison to GL and not in its segment. actually, GLK, Q5, X3 are suppose to be soft-roader more along the lines of CRV, RAV4. With whatever little test drive i took of GL450, i found it much better handler off the road. its just my opinon. i haven't done full fledge off-roading, but i just drove those on muddy road and snow.

sorry if you misunderstood my statement. just wanted to clear it up.
Old 5th January 2010, 12:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know some 1 who paid a cool 1.4cr for the 500 in Black Colour. The car simply looks awesome in that colour
rather than speculate, why not just ask accord_masters about the approximate he paid for a pre-facelift S500 in black.
Old 5th January 2010, 13:36   #25
BHPian

just watch the episod of top gear on GL , and mr.clarkson has to the meaning has raped the vehicle like anything! after watching that i wonder anybody will buy that .
Old 5th January 2010, 13:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
The GL has great road presence and looks more or like ML 350 but bigger than 350.I am saying this since i was this SUV which was US version car driven by a consulate on 31'st.
there are about 3-4 GLs alreaddy in India, there is one in Bombay, silver one GL 350 i think with some Brabus Modifications, there are pics of that beast on this in supercars section.

looks menacing
Old 7th January 2010, 00:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

Speedy, That is the new E class Coupe, CL was never made in a trim below 500, what you are referring to is the CLK which is basically now the new E coupe. The CLK launched last year was the previous generation and the new E class coupe replaces the CLK. CL is a much higher brand and is basically a coupe version of the S, people on some other forums say the CL will also be renamed to S class coupe after the facelift.

And I don't think the ML is broader then the GL, they are both pretty much the same in terms of width, the GL is only longer.

And the S 500, a person could have bought it for 1.10 or 1.20 or even 1.40 it all depends on the options loaded. I mean if you just add the full Designo paint / leather you are already talking of close to 15 lacs for those options without even getting into other options. So I don't think one needs to debate on who paid how much for a CBU, rather just enjoy the good news that V8 cars or rather the perfect S-Class is now made here which saves cost not only in terms of basic cost but a lot of options which you earlier would have to pay for are now made available to you standard. Also in states like Gujarat we pay a lot more RTO for CBU cars which also changes now so overall the cost effect is quite nice.
Old 7th January 2010, 01:22   #28
Senior - BHPian

Speedy, that's not a CL but the new E coupe. It was showcased during the launch of S500 & the GL. It will be launched some time this year itself.
Old 13th January 2010, 11:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

I had the for the pre-expo launch of the new S500 & GL350 CDI. as I decided to go for the Auto Expo, I reschduled my trip as if I can reach there for the launch too, but unfortunetly my flight was delayed for more than two hours due to the bad weather in Delhi. Anyhow I could make up for the function even though I got late. Here is some photos from side.

Press release, more photos & source: Hanmust
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes Benz launches the GL350 CDI and the new S500 L in India-cover.jpg  

Mercedes Benz launches the GL350 CDI and the new S500 L in India-img_4994.jpg  

Mercedes Benz launches the GL350 CDI and the new S500 L in India-img_4998.jpg  

Mercedes Benz launches the GL350 CDI and the new S500 L in India-img_5014.jpg  

Mercedes Benz launches the GL350 CDI and the new S500 L in India-img_5026.jpg  

Most Viewed