Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2010, 12:15   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I dont think the typical buyer in this segment is a very choosy buyer and he prefers to give practicality more importance than anything else. If people really though about swollen rears and plain uglys, the dzire would not have been the king of its segment with a long waiting list. The petrol Etios will be just another option but the real chart buster will be the diesel. Just look at the demand for the Vdi and the Zdi dzires. Toyota has to price the diesel sensibly and ensure that it is at least as roomy as the dzire even if it can match the Manza in space.
almost all of the of the buyers choose practicality over form, which shows in the high numbers of Dzire & Manza & also City (vis-a-vis the Civic).
But, my point is that Toyota offer cars in same price range, the chances of Toyota toppling Dzire & Manza (together in number) are really high... see Fortuner's & Innova's case.

Regarding the pricing, I feel that diesel Etios will be priced in range of Linea diesel, & obviously it will be higher than the Dzire/ Manza diesel.
Old 11th November 2010, 22:36   #212
Senior - BHPian

The diesel Etios IMO will be overpriced if it is priced similiar to the Linea diesel.It primarily is targetting the Dzire and Manza.A 30-50k premium to them is the max they should go.
Old 12th November 2010, 03:19   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
almost all of the of the buyers choose practicality over form, which shows in the high numbers of Dzire & Manza & also City (vis-a-vis the Civic).
But, my point is that Toyota offer cars in same price range, the chances of Toyota toppling Dzire & Manza (together in number) are really high... see Fortuner's & Innova's case.

Regarding the pricing, I feel that diesel Etios will be priced in range of Linea diesel, & obviously it will be higher than the Dzire/ Manza diesel.
IMO, Etios is built to compete against premium hatches like Fit, i20, etc. The sedan could be a bit higher. But I am not sure it will be selling good numbers if it competes against Citi, Linea, etc.
Old 12th November 2010, 09:58   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
IMO, Etios is built to compete against premium hatches like Fit, i20, etc. The sedan could be a bit higher. But I am not sure it will be selling good numbers if it competes against Citi, Linea, etc.
Etios is primarily targeted against segment leaders the Swift & Dzire . Toyota going by its stellar image might price Etios at a premium however beyond a point customers might not be willing to shell out extra just because it’s a Toyota.

I read somewhere that Etios has a localization of around 70% which means that 30% of components are still imported which makes it difficult for them to price it low.

Toyota knows that the Indian car market is one of the toughest markets in the world as customers are quite price sensitive. Toyota has a challenge to build right quality product at a competitive price to be a successful in this market.
Old 13th November 2010, 21:55   #215
Senior - BHPian

Toyota will be entering a segment that is fiercely competitive and price sensitive. All its earlier forays were in niche segments or segments which had limited competition eg Qualis had Mahindra Bolero and Sumo to contend with and was a better vehicle. The Innova created a market where none existed and as did the Fortuner,

The B/C segment on the otrher hand has the likes of Maruti, Hyundai ( the top two car companies in India). Toyota will have to look at the VFM equation very closely or it may end up going the Honda Jazz way.

The Corolla Diesel is not exactly setting the sales charts afire as it has to contend with the Laura and the Cruze.

The Indian car buyer is brand concious and willing to pay a premium for some brands but only if the same is justified
Old 13th November 2010, 23:01   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems the launch is on course for the December time frame. Spotted quite a bit of work going inside the Ravindu Toyota Showroom opposite to ISKCON Temple.

It will be very interesting to see the Etios pricing, positioning and the features list that will provided for the price points.
Old 15th November 2010, 10:15   #217
BHPian

Got an SMS today morning, which says -

<sms>

Get ready to grab the first Toyota ETIOS. Exchange your existing car. Call Toyota UTRUST.

</sms>

Seems that the launch is pretty close, as they are gearing up for a massive campaign.
Trying to reach the number provided in the SMS for details, but the line seems incessantly busy.
Old 15th November 2010, 11:18   #218
BHPian

Sedan in Dec and hatch in Jan

Q&A: Hiroshi Nakagawa, Managing Director, Toyota Kirloskar Motor
Old 15th November 2010, 11:42   #219
BHPian

I too received the sms but no one is answering the phone. However the no. is to help with exchanging an existing car with an Etios.

Still no sign of types of engines that will be launched. Diesel would be such a hit!!! 70000 for both the products in one year? Toyota will be surprised!!!! They should rent out someone else's production facility in case they price it well.
Old 15th November 2010, 12:53   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkateshkm View Post
I too received the sms but no one is answering the phone. However the no. is to help with exchanging an existing car with an Etios.

Still no sign of types of engines that will be launched. Diesel would be such a hit!!! 70000 for both the products in one year? Toyota will be surprised!!!! They should rent out someone else's production facility in case they price it well.

+100, I complete agree with you on this. If priced well and if the diesel engine is also launched, they may need to open their third plant or hire competitor's manufacturing facility.

I definitely believe they have targeted 70,000 units per annum of the hatch and the sedan for the petrol only.

Toyota will first test waters with the petrol engines and then expand the production capacity to accommodate the diesel engines as well.
Old 15th November 2010, 17:02   #221
BHPian

I got a call from Nandi Toyota (on Hosur Road bangalore) guys on saturday (have an Innova from them) regarding the Etios. They asked if I would be interested in a diesel sedan at around 6 lakhs price range naming the Etios as their new launch. They didnt give any more details and were asking to drop by in the showroom if I am interested. I intend to go there soon as I my Innova is due for service.
Old 15th November 2010, 17:17   #222
BHPian

Guys as per ACI the Etios Hatch the final production car will be showcased at the Autocar Performance Show in Bandra Kurla Complex from 18th Nov onwards. Hope to see the car there.
Old 15th November 2010, 18:20   #223
BHPian

The launch is on the 1st of December as per this month's Fortune (India) magazine, the Etios is the cover story, the issue has a rather nice article on the development of the Etios platform and Toyota's future plans with regards to platforms. Not sure if I can scan and post the article here though, considering it is the current issue and intellectual property concerns, Mods, any pointers?
Old 15th November 2010, 21:17   #224
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Etios in Chennai

Got a call from Lanson Toyota and the Sales Manager informed me that the launch of Toyota Etios in Chennai is scheduled for Dec 6-7-8, 2010.

I believe Toyota asked them to choose three days for the launch!!!

He added that he would send me the invitation.
Old 16th November 2010, 09:48   #225
BHPian

Toyota Etios Sedan Before Hatchback - Mr. Akio Toyoda, Chairman - Toyota Motor Corp.

Mr. Akio Toyota, Chairman of Toyota Motor Corporation said that Toyota will launch Toyota Etios in Banglore on 1st December 2010, where both the vehicles i.e. Sedan Version & Hatchback Version of Etios will be launched; but deliveries of Etios Sedan will begun in January 2011, followed by deliveries of its hatchback version.
Here is the link:
Official - Toyota Etios sedan arrives before hatch | Indian Autos blog
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks