Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2010, 23:05   #121
BHPian

as GTO says "And the Hyundai i20 is the quality benchmark for the segment. "

Righty said , I guess japanese are goin backwards & koreans to the future.
Old 10th January 2010, 22:28   #122
BHPian

I think TOYOTA won't like to admit it, but the Etios is nothing but an updated "Toyota ECHO". which looks plain, dull and dated, at least to me.

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th January 2010 at 00:56. Reason: Please see the note that has been put at the end of your post by the Support Team.
Old 11th January 2010, 10:39   #123
Senior - BHPian

I don't think so. The side profile looks completely different. One look at the Etios's side profile and you instantly get reminded of the Logan. Not so with this car.
Old 11th January 2010, 10:43   #124
Senior - BHPian

2000 engineers and 4 years!

They should have had 20 engineers and 1 year to do the job. It would have been much better!

Move over Logan, you are no more the ugly duckling now.

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th January 2010 at 00:59. Reason: Please stick to "ugly". Thanks.
Old 11th January 2010, 10:53   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
2000 engineers and 4 years!

They should have had 20 engineers and 1 year to do the job. It would have been much better!
Like they say, too many cooks spoil the broth! It looks positively horrid and I wouldn't be surprised if the Logan and Indigo/Indica are replaced by this for taxi duty!
Old 13th January 2010, 13:55   #126
BHPian

More evidence of cost cutting on the Etios hatch

Just checked more detailed pics from the Vicky blog site, the hatch is raised by a single struct and the parcel shelf with a single thread/wire/cable

Toyota dont go el cheapo, plus I don't think the single strut can manage constant banging. Even the M800 probably comes with 2 struts.
Old 13th January 2010, 17:15   #127
Senior - BHPian

I do see a lot of bad comments on the car. But you never know, if Toyota manages to stick it a shock price a. la. Eeco, the same comments might turn out praisers for the VFM.

My bet is if that was what was in the mind of Toyota, 2.5-3.25 L would be a shocker of a price for the hatch and 4-4.5 L for the sedan would make the same product a killer. Come on Toyota pamper us more
Old 13th January 2010, 18:20   #128
BHPian

I dont think Toyota would launch it at these prices, because this is a Vista size car (the hatch I mean)- I got the dimensions as L-3775 mm, W-1695mm, H-1490 mm from Twitter, compared to L-3795 mm, W-1695mm, H- 1550 mm for the Vista. Plus the overhangs are not that high from the pics which point to a good wheelbase

Our own scoopmeister aka Sidindica puts it at sub-4 lakh for the hatch which is on par with Tata. That would still be shock pricing for a Toyota in India , I think
Old 13th January 2010, 19:06   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
I don't think so. The side profile looks completely different. One look at the Etios's side profile and you instantly get reminded of the Logan. Not so with this car.
The logan looks like it is made out of recycled cardboard - both inside and out. I doubt whether the Toyota can be that bad.
Look at the greenhouse of the logan, specifically the rear door shape. I mean ***?

Pics:Toyota unveils the Etios concept at the AE 2010. UPDATE: PRICES pg30!-logan.jpg

I hope this design shortcut really saved Renault/Dacia some big bucks in the production process because this is the main UGLY factor in the logan. You can change the lights/fascia etc but cant do anything to the greenhouse once the design is crystallized.

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th January 2010 at 00:58. Reason: Please stick to "ugly". Thanks.
Old 16th January 2010, 11:01   #130
BHPian

Yucccck till the end .....

toyota gone to bonkers ?????
Old 16th January 2010, 13:52   #131
BHPian

i dont think it will be sub-4 price range,being a toyota i am sure they will keep their brand equity.
i cant imagine what took them 4 years for this!!
Old 16th January 2010, 15:02   #132
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

When Maruti introduced the Swift Dzire and when Mahindra introduced the Logan, we were almost sure that it would flop badly. We hated the way both cars cars looked! But look at where they've gone! The Dzire for instance still has a waiting period! They've been such hits in our market that it's almost unbelievable.

I'm sure this Toyota would be a hit too! It may look uninspiring and it may not be the most comfortable or feature packed, but somehow, I get this feeling that it would actually do very well. And usually, cars with Honda or Toyota badges do very well. Even if they're not fantastic or good at all! This shows that the brand name speaks a lot!

For starters, this would do extremely well as a taxi. So the Logans and the Indicabs/Indigos have competition now. And then there is the price. I'm sure Toyota would price this competitively. Probably somewhere around the region of the Dzire-Logan.
Old 2nd February 2010, 17:10   #133
BHPian

Toyota Vios minor change update from Thailand

http://www.autoincar.com/wp-content/...thailand-2.jpg

Steering looks very similar to the Etios, the centrally placed instrument cluster,cheese cutter vents etc.
Old 3rd February 2010, 00:51   #134
BHPian

HAhahahahahahaahaha @ the dance video posted on page 8.
That is one ridiculous performance at the Etios launch. It looks as if they are doing "The dance of death" around the car just before they hack off its head and fry it for dinner . As if 4 girls jumping around an ugly car will stupefy people into magically looking at the ugly, cheap car and say " OOH How lucky we are .What a beautiful car Toyota has made especially for us dumb indians " Lame!@

Last edited by -NUT-case : 3rd February 2010 at 01:02.
Old 3rd February 2010, 15:11   #135
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Guys,

When Maruti introduced the Swift Dzire and when Mahindra introduced the Logan, we were almost sure that it would flop badly. We hated the way both cars cars looked! But look at where they've gone! The Dzire for instance still has a waiting period! They've been such hits in our market that it's almost unbelievable.
The Logan is a massive FLOP in our market and sells a meagre 300 - 500 cars a month.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed