Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2010, 00:23   #76
BHPian

Too bad the toyota twins look quite outdated(dare i say) even when its a concept. This will definitely be outdated by the time it goes into production. Heck even the POLO looks better in production version than the Etios. The hatch looks like a 90's design.

What do BHPians think about Polo vis-a-vis Etios ??
Old 6th January 2010, 01:40   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
You're absolutely right imho.......even the interiors seem to be a modified version of the 1st gen vios interiors......see the pic
I agree. I have this suspicion that Toyota has dressed up the first gen Vios/Echo sedan / Hatchback in new clothing and is trying to palm it off as a 'New for the world' design. Remember that they did the same with the Qualis - dressed up an outdated Kijang and called it new for India
Old 6th January 2010, 02:00   #78
BHPian

Whats wrong with toyota, with those thick chrome strips, dated & mashed up styling. It almost look like a chinese copy of a toyota car!!!!
Old 6th January 2010, 02:42   #79
BHPian

Just went to the Toyota website out of curisoity and this is what I found about the name ETIOS. This reminds me of their Qualis - remember Quality and Service - campaign. But I guess someone forgot to tell Toyota that this isnt the MUV taxi market where there were only 2 competing models from Tata and Mahindra which both looked as bad as the Qualis and in any case the target segment couldnt care less about looks.

In the intervening 10 yrs, Hyundai, Maruti, Tata have all upped their game and the market segment is very different. If Toyota is looking for a repeat of their Qualis success with the same formula in the premium hatch back/entry level sedan market, I guess its time to wake up now before they launch it! Wake up Toyota!
Attached Thumbnails
Pics:Toyota unveils the Etios concept at the AE 2010. UPDATE: PRICES pg30!-toyotaetios.jpg  

Old 6th January 2010, 06:01   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Sorry to act as Paranoid, but the way this car's profile is matching with Vios First generation makes me believe that this car is nothing but the First generation Vios under the skin. The skin panels are worked upon, else its the same.

Observe how the C-pillar gels with start of trunk. Observe the front door area where there is OVRM, that black plastic part ( front quarter ).

I am attaching two images, one of itios and one of Vios first generation. Could not get elaborate images of Vios generation in white.
Exactly what I thought when I saw the pics in the first post. The Vios (1st Gen) is the most common car here, and the resemblance to this "concept" is striking!
Old 6th January 2010, 09:44   #81
Senior - BHPian

Any idea as to whether the hatch or the sedan will have an AT variant. I would like to buy a new AT car (preferably Toyota) for my wife later this year.

The sedan looks like a Tata Indigo. Well nothing to look forward to as far as looks is concerned, but Toyota is still top of mind in my planned purchase. Buying a Prius is out given the outrageous sticker price. Even Prado has now crossed 50 lakhs.

Last edited by vasudeva : 6th January 2010 at 09:49.
Old 6th January 2010, 09:54   #82
Senior - BHPian

i kind of liked the design of the hatch - if they manage to price it below 4L, it will be tough package to beat. Hope they wont disappoint us in the engine and handling department.
Old 6th January 2010, 10:05   #83
BHPian

Dear Toyota,

Begin poaching designers from Hyundai. And fire the team who designed something so atrocious. I thought the outside was bad enough - the interior is even worse. Gross little thing.
Old 6th January 2010, 10:23   #84
BHPian

The hatchback definately looks a lot better than the sedan version, will need to wait for the pricing to see how its going to affect the market. This is Toyota's first entry into the volume segment (B+ and C) and it will be interesting to note how they approach this.
Old 6th January 2010, 12:20   #85
Senior - BHPian

I dont think it matters if the interiors are so bland and plasticy but surely with a decent exterior design which looks like an inspiration from the Yaris, will attract a lot of buyers and this will car will sell if priced reasonably well. Hope Honda is forced to keep prices of Jazz and City in check or even lower them as they had to do with the Civic due to the Altis.
Old 6th January 2010, 12:24   #86
BHPian

The car's looks are surely growing on me. I think that the concept is probably hand built, if you remove the spoiler and the fussy bumper kits, it should be more acceptable.

The best news is that except for the engine and powertrain (to start with) the car is going to be highly localised which should point at some VFM pricing.

I like the "flat floor" in the back, it works quite well in the Civic and makes life comfy for the middle passenger.

In an interview to ACI, I remember some top official indicating that the low cost would not mean cheap, there would be no compromise on quality.

Toyota, you have one customer right here, just take out the grey & red colour coding and give me grey and black.
Old 6th January 2010, 13:04   #87
BHPian

Thanks for the report/snaps. The car looks just about okay from the outside but after seeing that bright blue exterior and the horrible interiors/seat fabric colour scheme I have lost all hope. Atleast its only a concept, hopefully we do not see anything like this in production.
Old 6th January 2010, 13:21   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishaanranderia View Post
Whats wrong with toyota, with those thick chrome strips, dated & mashed up styling. It almost look like a chinese copy of a toyota car!!!!
Exactly what I was thinking! Its almost like Toyota are trying too hard to mask the unappealing looks of the Etios with a splash of chrome. The game has moved on Toyota. Wake up. Get over the Qualis syndrome.

Just goes to show that manufacturers like Tata and Hyundai have moved ahead in the small car race, be it design or launching their latest cars in India, respectively.
Old 6th January 2010, 13:37   #89

If your are for the looks Japs cars ( toyota) were never path breakers.
Toyota cars has always been for performance and safety .

Need to watch and see how the final product is packaged.

But i agree it looks ugly
Old 6th January 2010, 13:41   #90
BHPian

Found this
Toyota reveals Etios Hatchback and Sedan details - Global premier at 2010 Auto Expo - Motoroids.com

"
oyota has also announced that the Etios Hatchback will retail for around Rs.4.5-5 lakh and will be powered by a 1200cc petrol engine. The Etios will mark Toyota's foray into the B+ car segment and will compete against the likes of Hyundai's i20, VW polo's and Maruti-Suzuki's Swift. The Etios sedan will be priced around the Rs.10 lakh mark and will be powered by 1500cc petrol engine. It will compete against the current C segment offerings like Ford's Fiesta and Honda's City top name a few.
Toyota officials did not release any more information as the scheduled launch of the Etios concept is in December 2010. Toyota is expecting tthe Etios to register sales of around 7,000 units in the first year of its launch.
"
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks