Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2010, 19:54   #316
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the central console is a big sore to the eye. I hope Toyota brings up a face-lift version soon after the launch and gets us interiors similar to the Honda Jazz.

In the last picture (engine bay) posted by anekho, there seems to be a lot of gap between the engine and the bonnet. The battery strangely stands out instead of being embedded.
Old 25th November 2010, 20:28   #317
BHPian

Toyota is always known to have break market perceptions. From the initial look, people really don't like what they bring in.. it's like A.R.Rahman's Music when you hear first. But slowly you fall in love with the magic.

Look at what they entered into India -
1. Qualis - Market called it Ugly when introduced.. Within 2 years they were market leaders in MPV. One of my friend recently sold the 2003 Qualis for a whooping 7 Lakhs !!!
2. Corolla - Plain, understated looks with petrol engine. Again ruled the class.
3. Innova - Market called in Jumbo, bulky, utter failure !! Again they are ruling in that segment.

ETIOS - Im sure it will dethrone all the existing leaders and create a fan following soon. Something like ANHC...
Old 25th November 2010, 22:16   #318
Senior - BHPian

Well that car doesnt really look that weird, it probably looks Ugly. I quite agree with what HarishPr posted.
Old 25th November 2010, 22:27   #319
BHPian

Autocarindia review of the Etios.
The more i read about the car, the more i am liking it.
Toyota Etios test drive, review | Autocar India
Old 25th November 2010, 22:33   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RROD View Post
I am sure many are going through this state of mind! Initially the Etios seemed very very boring. Now its getting really on me! A new showroom coming near Hebbal. Waiting for Dec 1st!
Old 25th November 2010, 22:52   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RROD View Post
+1 to that. I really didn't like it at all in the beginning but as I find out more and more it really seems to be an interesting proposition!
Old 25th November 2010, 23:34   #322
BHPian

Google trends for Toyota Etios.
Google Trends: toyota etios
Delhi and Mangalore at the top!!
Old 25th November 2010, 23:49   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
+1 to that. I really didn't like it at all in the beginning but as I find out more and more it really seems to be an interesting proposition!
I guess then the marketing machinery of Toyota is working , they gave exclusives to ACI and Zigwheels,knowing quite well that the reviews would come out before December and this is also publicity or hype in a way. Having been spoilt by TBHP reviews , I am sure that there are some other items that dont make the grade in the Etios.

Last edited by indivic : 25th November 2010 at 23:51. Reason: Edited post for grammar, readability
Old 26th November 2010, 06:48   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote from TOI-Bangalore.

Quote:
Etios plans to drive Toyota into the sedan mart
Pankaj Doval | TNN

New Delhi: Toyota is all set to make a pitch at the big pie of the Indian car market as it launches the Etios, the entry-level sedan from the Japanese car major, at an aggressive entry price of around Rs 5.25 lakh. The car, the most ambitious product from the company's stable, has been specifically designed keeping in mind India and other emerging markets and will take on well-established models like Maruti Dzire, Tata Indigo and Honda City.
The company's seriousness with the Etios, for which it has invested almost Rs 3,200 crore in a new plant, can be understood by the fact that it will be launched by Toyota's Global president Akio Toyoda, the grandson of the company's founder Kiichiro Toyoda.
Industry sources said the car -- that will sport a 1,500cc petrol engine -- is likely to carry an exshowroom price of around Rs 5.25 lakh. "It will be placed around this price point as Toyota wants an aggressive stance in the market," said a source. A diesel version of the sedan will follow by late next year, though its hatchback version (with a smaller petrol engine) will be launched in March next year. When contacted for confirmation of the price, Toyota Deputy MD Sandeep Singh declined to comment. "The exact price will be known on December 1, when we launch the car. Deliveries for the model will begin in January."
With the Etios, Toyota plans to garner a higher market share of the fastgrowing Indian car market that along with China is the world's fastest growing. Toyota currently is a small player in India, though it enjoys a strong position in segments where it is present. The company's current line-up in India includes multi-purpose vehicle Innova, luxury sedans -- Corolla and Camry and SUV Fortuner and it hopes to sell around 73,000 units this year, expecting to double this to about 1,45,000 units after the launch of the Etios.
Old 26th November 2010, 11:00   #325
Distinguished - BHPian

I just now saw the video of Overdrive walk around the Etios. Sharing it for all of you!

Old 26th November 2010, 11:26   #326
Senior - BHPian

My G.F. says that GTO may be compiling the etios' review. He hasn't posted anything here for the past two days.
Old 26th November 2010, 12:16   #327
BHPian

Where is GTO?

You read my mind Sid. Where are the tbhp Etios reviews esp when overdrive has a full-blown coverage in the latest magazine ? And while there's no doubt it will succeed, why could'nt they make something more good-looking while they were at it ? It's looks fall between a Dzire and a Logan. Manza looks way better.
BTW I don't consider the Logan a bad-looking car. The C-pillar looks too fat.Otherwise it's quite staid but not an eyesore.
Waiting for it. About time for the Dzire to go to the beauty parlour. The Etios will succeed , if only for the fact that the market segment topper looked worse.
Mechanicals, reliability, bling blang is all taken for granted with Toyota.
Your friendly internet prophet,
rpmx1000
Old 26th November 2010, 12:25   #328
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

I completely agree with funkykar, RROD and anekho. The first time I saw the pics, it was a complete eyesore to me. But after reading the ACI review and many posts in Team-BHP, I'm starting to like this car and that flat bottom steering wheel is just awesome. Toyota surely knows how to attract customers from all age group. There's absolutely no brownie points for guessing that the Etios will a best-seller. Toyota knows its marketing startegy and the pricing is bound to be competitive. Really waiting for GTO's review.
Old 26th November 2010, 12:55   #329
Senior - BHPian

Shock Pricing! Etios Sedan @ 5.25 Lakh!

Quote:
NEW DELHI: Toyota is all set to make a pitch for the Indian car market as it launches Etios, the entry-level sedan, at an aggressive entry price of around Rs 5.25 lakh.

The car, the most ambitious product from Toyota’s stable, has been specifically designed keeping in mind India and other emerging markets and will take on well-established models like Maruti Dzire , Tata Indigo and Honda City .

The carmaker’s seriousness with Etios, for which it has invested Rs 3,200 crore on a new plant near Bangalore with an annual capacity of 70,000, can be gauged by the fact that it will be launched by Toyota’s global president Akio Toyoda.

Industry sources said the car, which will sport a 1500cc petrol engine, is likely to carry an ex-showroom price of around Rs 5.25 lakh. “It will be placed around this price point as Toyota wants an aggressive stance in the market,” said a source. A diesel version of the sedan will be launched late next year, though its hatchback version (with a smaller petrol engine) will be launched in March 2011.

Toyota deputy MD Sandeep Singh declined to comment. “The exact price will be known on December 1, when we launch the car. Deliveries for the model will begin in January.”

With the Etios, Toyota plans to garner a higher market share of the fast-growing Indian car market which, along with China, is the world’s fastest growing. Toyota currently is a small player in India, though it enjoys a strong position in segments where it is present.

Its current line-up in India includes multi-purpose vehicle Innova, luxury sedans, Corolla and Camry, and SUV Fortuner and it hopes to sell around 73,000 units this year, expecting to double this to about 145,000 units after the launch of the Etios.

The company currently has low single-digit share of the Indian car market and said it wants a 10% share. With Etios, Toyota hopes to ride the high demand for entry-level sedans in India. This segment is led by Maruti Suzuki’s Dzire on the lower side, while Honda’s City dominates the upper-end.

Analysts said Toyota’s strong branding is going to be a big advantage for Etios and will help the company corner a good share of the entry-level sedan segment.
Source: Toyota Etios will come with Rs 5.25 lakh tag - The Economic Times
Old 26th November 2010, 12:58   #330
Senior - BHPian

Yup, a similar review is there in this month's Auto car. A 1.5 sedan with 17kmpl is gonna kill the competition. this is precision stuff .
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks