Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2010, 23:41   #346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
If this contraption is so earth shattering then why didn't they offer this in Camry/Innova/Altis? They want rear seat occupants of these cars to sweat it out? What a dumb statement by Toyota! Trying to justify a cheap design or is it cost cutting.
+1 to you.

Definitely they're justifying their quirky interior design and it doesn't seem that the A/C vents were designed in that way to reduce the cost.

May be we can expect face-lifted Camry/Innova/Altis with similar A/C vents in the near future. (Kindly take no offense. Yes, I'm just kidding)

Moreover, Toyota Etios has rear A/C vents.
Old 26th November 2010, 23:41   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What a dumb statement by Toyota! If this contraption is so earth shattering then why didn't they offer this in Camry/Innova/Altis? They want rear seat occupants of these cars to sweat it out? Trying to justify a cheap design or is it cost cutting.
+1 to that. Whichever way you look at it, Etios reeks of cost cutting starting from the outdated external design to the horrible dashboard and interiors and things like single wiper and all.

They have made a cheap car to compete with Dzire and Manza - that's it. And they will charge a small premium for the Etios over Maza/Dzire to cash in on the Toyota brand. And I see no problem with that but no point in trying to portray the Etios as something which it was never intended to be.

One big to Toyota for making ABS and Airbags optional on different models but a thumbs down for not providing PS on the base model.

When can we expect a official TD and the pricing to be announced?
Old 26th November 2010, 23:46   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
+1 to that. Whichever way you look at it, Etios reeks of cost cutting starting from the outdated external design to the horrible dashboard and interiors and things like single wiper and all.
I didn't know that Etios has a single wiper. IIRC, this is the 3rd car this side of 10L which came with single wiper. The other two cars are Fiat Uno & Reva.

Quote:
One big to Toyota for making ABS and Airbags optional on different models but a thumbs down for not providing PS on the base model.
Did you really mean the base version do not come with Power Steering?

Quote:
When can we expect a official TD and the pricing to be announced?
GTO, are you listening?
Old 26th November 2010, 23:49   #349
BHPian

Quote:
What a dumb statement by Toyota! If this contraption is so earth shattering then why didn't they offer this in Camry/Innova/Altis? They want rear seat occupants of these cars to sweat it out? Trying to justify a cheap design or is it cost cutting.
Please understand that Camry, Altis and Innovan are much wider than Etios. Please check the pics online for these cars, those vents are in no way obstructed by steering wheel for Camry or Altis.
Old 27th November 2010, 00:52   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Please understand that Camry, Altis and Innovan are much wider than Etios. Please check the pics online for these cars, those vents are in no way obstructed by steering wheel for Camry or Altis.
Sorry, but I do not buy the argument.
Let us look at the stats - Etios width = 1695 mm, Corolla Altis width = 1760 mm. The difference = 65 mm = 6.5 cm = 2.5 inch approx - that is hardly anything!

All said and done, the central console and the dashboard of the etios sucks big time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
I didn't know that Etios has a single wiper. IIRC, this is the 3rd car this side of 10L which came with single wiper. The other two cars are Fiat Uno & Reva.
What about the Nano?

Did you really mean the base version do not come with Power Steering?
That's what I gathered from various mags and portals. Others can confirm. But this is just a way of announcing a very lucrative price for the base variant.
Old 27th November 2010, 01:02   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Let us look at the stats - Etios width = 1695 mm, Corolla Altis width = 1760 mm. The difference = 65 mm = 6.5 cm = 2.5 inch approx - that is hardly anything!

All said and done, the central console and the dashboard of the etios sucks big time
65mm extra leg space/shoulder room is really something!!, considering the real estate available in a car. The Etios is build to a price, i dont see what is the problem really about a car looking dated.
Name one car which is built to a budget, and has everything going for it.
Old 27th November 2010, 01:12   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
What about the Nano?
Oops. I don't know how on earth did I miss Tata Nano. My bad!

Quote:
That's what I gathered from various mags and portals. Others can confirm. But this is just a way of announcing a very lucrative price for the base variant.
Can't agree more with you.
Old 27th November 2010, 01:31   #353
BHPian

Quote:

The other thing you are missing is, if you go through the old Corolla A/C vents, it was kind of obstructed but with the new Altis, they have moved the Vent on top of Console and Camry is been the same for years. BUT, since Etios has Speedo Console there, they had to come up with something out of the box and I don't see anything wrong in that.
Old 27th November 2010, 03:42   #354
BHPian

Etios is Toyota s' nano , no other way to describe it .
Old 27th November 2010, 10:00   #355
Senior - BHPian

OD claims to have got an exclusive first drive of the Etios on their fb page. The next OD TV episode will feature this first drive...
Old 27th November 2010, 10:01   #356
BHPian

The Etios is atrocious.

Those interiors wouldn't have looked out of place in an Tata Ace! Their own Boon has better interiors and is cheaper! What do these people think of Indians?

India is the only country in the world were they lump these things down our throat. There are poorer countries where Toyota has managed its product lineup much better.

And ultimately is this 'ugly device' any cheap? Even in the best estimates, it just about meets its rivals' pricing.

Also being cheap does not justify ugliness for God's sake. Learn from Tata with Nano guys.
Old 27th November 2010, 10:31   #357
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

There's no point in bashing the Etios. Sure, Toyota has gone for cost-cutting, but as the ACI review mentions, "those budget bits are unlikely to bother owners". Here the owners are middle class families who are looking for a well equipped and practical sedan in a budget. The Etios is clearly not aimed to win the "best design award", but to give the owners a hassle free ownership experience that Toyota is known for. I'm in the market to buy a car with a big boot next year and the heart screams for the Linea T-Jet. I don't give a damn about kpl or Fiat A.S.S, but I know its out of my budget by a considerable margin. Thats where an Etios comes in. And flame me for this, but I like the interiors of the Etios (specially the steering wheel), though exteriors are plain boring. I totally agree with everyone that Toyota could have given a way better design for the Etios which would have appealed to a much wider audience.

Last edited by //M : 27th November 2010 at 10:33.
Old 27th November 2010, 17:12   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
There's no point in bashing the Etios. Sure, Toyota has gone for cost-cutting, but as the ACI review mentions, "those budget bits are unlikely to bother owners". Here the owners are middle class families who are looking for a well equipped and practical sedan in a budget. The Etios is clearly not aimed to win the "best design award", but to give the owners a hassle free ownership experience that Toyota is known for. I'm in the market to buy a car with a big boot next year and the heart screams for the Linea T-Jet. I don't give a damn about kpl or Fiat A.S.S, but I know its out of my budget by a considerable margin. Thats where an Etios comes in. And flame me for this, but I like the interiors of the Etios (specially the steering wheel), though exteriors are plain boring. I totally agree with everyone that Toyota could have given a way better design for the Etios which would have appealed to a much wider audience.
Amen to your points, !!

As they say, "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder". If someone does not like the design of a vehicle, so be it. Don't buy it. But do not go on !! But why Toyota (in this instance) is being damned ? What one should appreciate is this: Toyota, as I wrote in one of my earlier posts, developed a car with a certain approach and they were focussed on giving a car that in their view meets the general public's expectations about a car that will have a decent powertrain, space, ability to carry 5 passengers with reasonable creature comforts. Their focus was the typical family person. Let us not forget, many in this forum cribbed about Xylo's looks but commercially has the vehicle been a failure? No. And I think, we have been judging this car (and others as well) purely by the looks. Not sure whether that is the way to go about in deciding how good a car is or implying motives to the manufacturer. That way, as many have pointed out, i20 was an expensive proposition. However, all the naysayers have been proved wrong because probably i20 as a vehicle hit a sweet spot !!

My 2 cents' worth of thoughts. As far as am concerned, I almost made up my mind to buy Honda Jazz; however, now I will wait for a TD and also review from GTO to take a call.
Old 27th November 2010, 17:18   #359
BHPian

Talked to a Toyota dealer a while back, he has send me the scanned copy of the brochure for the Etios - shows the different variants and the features.

Seems they would get a TD car only in their showroom by Dec end , and if you book between Dec 1st and 31st , you will get the car delivered in Jan . For bookings made after Dec , the delivery might get delayed probably even till June , according to him. That might be a marketing move to get the most of the pre-bookings.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf etios brochure1.pdf (1.47 MB, 1140 views)
Old 27th November 2010, 19:19   #360
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Thanks you Kap4 for the brochure.

I just spoke to my friend who works for Lanson Toyota in Chennai. He said that the VX petrol will be priced around 8 Lakhs On-Road, which IMO is still very reasonable for a Toyota.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed