Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2010, 20:07   #361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
. For bookings made after Dec , the delivery might get delayed probably even till June , according to him.
Whats with this new found tactic of indian car manufacturers to factor in waiting periods even before the car is launched?

Its like as if its a given these days,you have to wait for a good car.After the Fortuner i am sure toyota must have taken suitable steps to ramp up production,but looks like the Etios will also face delays.Its all a gimmick by the car companies.

Last edited by avishar : 27th November 2010 at 20:12.
Old 27th November 2010, 21:14   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
OD claims to have got an exclusive first drive of the Etios on their fb page. The next OD TV episode will feature this first drive...
Here is a link to a walkaround:
Old 27th November 2010, 22:11   #363
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post

Seems they would get a TD car only in their showroom by Dec end , and if you book between Dec 1st and 31st , you will get the car delivered in Jan . For bookings made after Dec , the delivery might get delayed probably even till June , according to him. That might be a marketing move to get the most of the pre-bookings.
Delivery will be delayed upto June? Then what about the Etios hatch that is supposed to be launched early next year and the Etios diesel sedan/hatch to be launched soon after? I think Toyota will surely sort the things before launching the Etios hatch. With a product aimed at customer needs, Toyota must pull up its sleeves and get into the act soon.

Thanks a lot for the brochure.
Old 27th November 2010, 23:58   #364
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Thanks you Kap4 for the brochure.

I just spoke to my friend who works for Lanson Toyota in Chennai. He said that the VX petrol will be priced around 8 Lakhs On-Road, which IMO is still very reasonable for a Toyota.

Does anyone else thinks that 8 lakhs OTR for the Etios is a bit of a stretch, even for a Toyota. We can list atleast 5 other more VFM cars in the same bracket. Hence, it is defeating the very purpose this car was 'built' for.

Sorry to say this, as i might be adding myself to the 'naysayers' but this car will do incredibly well in the lower versions, many of which will be colored white/aquamarine with a Taxi logo and ads plastered all over it.
Old 28th November 2010, 00:14   #365
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
Sorry to say this, as i might be adding myself to the 'naysayers' but this car will do incredibly well in the lower versions, many of which will be colored white/aquamarine with a Taxi logo and ads plastered all over it.
IMO, Toyota doesn't want to be a player in the taxi market. The Qualis was removed for this very reason, even though it was selling like hot cakes. Though the Innova is used as taxis around India, but atleast the vehicle doesn't has the taxi image of the Qualis, Tavera and Sumo. So I guess Toyota won't like the same image as Indigo/Logan for its Etios. The Swift Dzire sells more than 9000 units each month and its not for the taxi market. This shows the potential of this segment and the huge number of private sedan buyers who want a car in an affordable package. Probably Toyota is aiming for these buyers, and not for the taxi market. Its just my opinion though.
Old 28th November 2010, 00:35   #366
Senior - BHPian

Agree with you,but Toyota may not be targeting the taxi market but that does not mean there wont be taxi Etios.I have a feeling this car would be the perfect replacement for the 1000s of Meru Logans in a few years down the line.Especially the diesel Etios.

If you remember Toyota had launched an "executive" corolla a few years back to target this market so its not as if they are completely against its cars being used as taxis
Old 28th November 2010, 03:02   #367
BHPian

This car is anything but a Toyota, perhaps its' just me or the mobile camera used by the over-zealous reporters @ OD? It kinda borders between ordinary and downright uninspiring. To me the dash is the biggest dampener, I've seen much better ones (IMHO) on cars south of 6 lac. If this is Toyota's offering to compete with the Swift clan (DZire included), then it might do the job, but with a 1.5 litre engine, it really is crossing paths with SX4/Fiesta.

Well, in any case, I truly hope this car replaces the DZire, as it is atleast not as much as an eye-sore as the DZire.
Old 28th November 2010, 08:18   #368
Senior - BHPian

The car easily looks couple of generations old. The Fiesta had begun to show its age. But this car makes the Fiesta look much more modern. Even the latest Verna looks better I guess.
Old 28th November 2010, 08:57   #369
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Agree with you,but Toyota may not be targeting the taxi market but that does not mean there wont be taxi Etios.I have a feeling this car would be the perfect replacement for the 1000s of Meru Logans in a few years down the line.Especially the diesel Etios.

If you remember Toyota had launched an "executive" corolla a few years back to target this market so its not as if they are completely against its cars being used as taxis
Well may be Etios will replace the Logan as Meru cabs few years down the line. Infact all Toyota products are aimed as taxis. The Innova is having a high reputation for reliability and is a perfect mile-muncher. The Corolla's back seat makes it perfect for a taxi market. The Camry already has been popular as an airport-taxi. The Qualis itself started the trend. Now Etios will also follow suite. But still I feel the Etios is a more rounded package than its rivals and even though it looks downright bland, it will do well in the market for all good reasons.

The other day I saw an Innova in a private garage with a 6,50,000 km odo (yes, six lakh fifty thousand !!). I asked the mechanic what is wrong with the car and he said its all fine, just came for regular servicing. I was and didn't believe him. But the kind owner gave me a spin and I must confess the car felt like it had done just 30,000 km. No engine overhauling, no major expenses and absolutely rattle free. Smooth and refined, just perfect. Probably the reason why Toyota is known for its reliability.

Last edited by //M : 28th November 2010 at 08:59.
Old 28th November 2010, 08:59   #370
BHPian

looks are certainly not the strong point of this car. by the intitial reactions in the board imo about 90% of us think that this car looks like a couple of generations behind.

but looks are not what toyota are trying to sell. their whole campaign is about the high quality standards which they are gonna bring the mid car segment. i believe the car will be a hit and the hatch for all we know may become the best seller in its segment.
Old 28th November 2010, 09:19   #371
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota being the chosen favorite among the taxi market is actually just a compliment to the reliability and low maintenence that the cars from its stable offer. So lets not hold it against them.
Coming to the topic the Etios really fails to inspire me. Cars like the Linea, Civic etc are such futuristic designs in front of this. God knows on what did toyota then spend so much time and money. I am getting a feeling that toyota has convinced itself that the Indian customer will buy anything and everything with the toyota badge. Only that can explain there remarks that the cars booked after december will be delivered only by june. Its the new gimmick being used by every car maker now. Make a acute shortage and increase the delivery time and fool people into believing that the car is a runaway success!
Old 28th November 2010, 09:47   #372
Senior - BHPian

I can't understand this waiting period part particularly when only the petrol version is launched now. Hopefully there will be minimal waiting period for the notchback version since the hatch is soon to be launched.

The car isn't a looker but ticks almost every box in features bar a few. Now it is up to Toyota to price the product competitively to make it a winner.

Can't wait till the launch of the car, never been this excited for a car launch in recent times except for the new WagonR and Figo.
Old 28th November 2010, 10:16   #373
Distinguished - BHPian

One thing I really cant understand is from when did Toyota provide sporty looking or the most elegant looking cars. Most of the cars from Toyota are bland, but will do most things if not all that is required of a call for decades without giving much of a head to the owner.

What Toyota aims is giving what the customer is looking. Etios in this case is nothing but the long investment of time in the research and then working behind doors to meet these specific outcomes of the research.

If its design then I must admit that Honda has given better looking cars than Toyota.

On the booking and waiting period, expect at least 3 months after booking and also premiums for an early delivery.

I just cant wait to see the long queue outside the Toyota Showroom.

Sorry about the long post, as I could not hold on for long about the ranting about the looks of the car.
Old 28th November 2010, 10:39   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Well may be Etios will replace the Logan as Meru cabs few years down the line. Infact all Toyota products are aimed as taxis. The Innova is having a high reputation for reliability and is a perfect mile-muncher. The Corolla's back seat makes it perfect for a taxi market. The Camry already has been popular as an airport-taxi. The Qualis itself started the trend. Now Etios will also follow suite. But still I feel the Etios is a more rounded package than its rivals and even though it looks downright bland, it will do well in the market for all good reasons.

The other day I saw an Innova in a private garage with a 6,50,000 km odo (yes, six lakh fifty thousand !!). I asked the mechanic what is wrong with the car and he said its all fine, just came for regular servicing. I was and didn't believe him. But the kind owner gave me a spin and I must confess the car felt like it had done just 30,000 km. No engine overhauling, no major expenses and absolutely rattle free. Smooth and refined, just perfect. Probably the reason why Toyota is known for its reliability.
Few years back when I was in US, one of my co-workers talked about a guy in the office who was having one pick up wagon of Toyota. That pick up wagon was going strong after about 15 or 20 odd years and clocked 250,000 miles . All he did was to do regular maintenance - no parts were replaced by the owner till the time I knew. And that vehicle from a distance was looking good.

All I know is Japs build things to last.

I had one of the original Kinetic Honda scooter bought in 1988 and I used it till about 1999. The only thing I replaced were batteries (every 3 to 3.5 years), belts and regular maintenance. It gave me 48 kms/litre on an average and during the entire 11 years, did not change the spark plug, the headlight or the rearlight or for that matter anything in that vehicle. And there were times when I went on leave or out of station for about 3 weeks and when I used to start, it used to start immediately. No warming about thru the kickstart.
Old 28th November 2010, 10:42   #375
BHPian

I think the Etios is just fine. Its boring, uninspiring like all other Toyota's. I can't seem to recall any Toyota model that has a path breaking design.
As long as the Etios delivers on what Toyota is famed for - reliability and piece of mind + the Toyota brand - its going to blow the competition away. Who knows, it may even pull in prospective "premium hatch buyers".
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks