Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2010, 11:36   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks @breezydrive and team OD for the video review. Despite the Blair Witch style handheld shooting, it was quite informative.

You have to hand it to Toyota: they know exactly what the consumer wants. The extra large cooled glovebox is a sure winner. Steering mounted audio controls in a car at this low price point is a stroke of genius; even the flattened steering wheel gives it a premium look. The dashboard is truly awful, but I can well imagine people telling themselves: hey it's a Toyota at eight lacs and has everything I need, I can live with it!

Bottomline: you can't write off the Etios as facilely as a lot of people, self included, have tended to do so far. I think this could potentially be the next Innova for Toyota.
Old 28th November 2010, 11:45   #377
Senior - BHPian

It actually looks pretty good!
It definitely looks better than the Dzire and the Ugly Manza.
I would say that there is a new player in town and the rules have been changed again.
Now only thing is for Toyota to support the excess demand's and not go the VW way where you have to wait 9 months for a 9 lac rupee car.
Old 28th November 2010, 12:13   #378
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satya79 View Post
Who knows, it may even pull in prospective "premium hatch buyers".
+1

I am one among those who are waiting for the Etios (Diesel) to decide against i20. I have already read a few others waiting for the Etios putting their decisions on hold to go in for the i20.

The car is not a bad looker. It is definitely not stylish too, but IMHO is much more proportionate that the Dzire and the Manza.
Old 28th November 2010, 17:22   #379
mxx
BHPian

Well, it is a typical toyota. Boring to look, not very exciting to drive, but does the job of taking you from point A to B very VERY well, for a long time. So, what if it is looks boring. When the ugly dezire can sell such good numbers, why not a toyota? Not to mention the brand Toyota is worshipped in India.
In short, this will be a roaring success as far as sales are concerned,
Waiting for official tbhp review, and I am sure, except the looks and maybe plastic quality, this will be a product with very little negetives.

Last edited by mxx : 28th November 2010 at 17:26.
Old 28th November 2010, 18:07   #380
BHPian

Things I cannot digest in the Etios:

- Looks, but then it is subjective, so no point debating

- Nano like front seats(integrated headrests), single wiper, no powered ORVMs: C'mon Toyota, it's a 8L car
Old 28th November 2010, 18:37   #381
BHPian

I must say it look very loganish, now we are use to the cityish or ventoish! I am not to happy looking at the interiors of the car, in the video. It looks dated and very non toyota like!

But shall wait for a TD to firm my opinion of Etios!
Old 28th November 2010, 20:52   #382
BHPian

Just Spoke to one of the dealerships in sunny toyota and he said the ex show room price of etios base version is 4.98
Old 28th November 2010, 23:19   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Puch View Post
Just Spoke to one of the dealerships in sunny toyota and he said the ex show room price of etios base version is 4.98
I guess you are talking about the hatch here, the OD guy in his review speculates that the starting price for sedan to be 5.5L.
Old 29th November 2010, 00:10   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
I guess you are talking about the hatch here, the OD guy in his review speculates that the starting price for sedan to be 5.5L.
5L is very much possible considering that the base version does not have PS. Also, I noticed that there are no adjustable headrests at the front in the Etios - I guess Toyota has gone overboard with cost cutting.
Hatch base version will be priced at 4L ex-showroom to match the Swift LXI.(All are ex-showroom prices)

Last edited by adimicra : 29th November 2010 at 00:12.
Old 29th November 2010, 02:30   #385
Senior - BHPian

Cant see a single post about the centre console odo. If i rem when vista got launched with centre console people here made so much noise about it,biased anyone?

Exterior-Looks are subjective but even an accent looks better in looks imo.If its for 8L then cars like linea,fiesta,vento and anhc which all are good lookers must not feel the heat from this.
Interior-IMO the t-jet,anhc have very good interiors along with verna. This is worse than fiesta or even accent.

It might sell as budget is still the major factor in car buying and most people will be tempted for a toyota badge. For me a Linea t-jet is still the best option.
Old 29th November 2010, 03:59   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Well may be Etios will replace the Logan as Meru cabs few years down the line. Infact all Toyota products are aimed as taxis. The Innova is having a high reputation for reliability and is a perfect mile-muncher. The Corolla's back seat makes it perfect for a taxi market. The Camry already has been popular as an airport-taxi. The Qualis itself started the trend. Now Etios will also follow suite. But still I feel the Etios is a more rounded package than its rivals and even though it looks downright bland, it will do well in the market for all good reasons.
reliability.
It may be Toyota's tactics to delay the Diesel to avoid a TAXI badge in the early days, Majority of the Indica and Logan taxis are Diesels.
Old 29th November 2010, 08:49   #387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Cant see a single post about the centre console odo. If i rem when vista got launched with centre console people here made so much noise about it,biased anyone?

Exterior-Looks are subjective but even an accent looks better in looks imo.If its for 8L then cars like linea,fiesta,vento and anhc which all are good lookers must not feel the heat from this.
Interior-IMO the t-jet,anhc have very good interiors along with verna. This is worse than fiesta or even accent.

It might sell as budget is still the major factor in car buying and most people will be tempted for a toyota badge. For me a Linea t-jet is still the best option.
Guys, this car is not something aimed at the AHNC / Linea / T-Jet ! This is aimed at the Dzire / Manza / Logan potential customers. So I think it will be fair if we compare an apple with an apple !

I had a test drive of the Vista and quite liked the center console - The readability is better ! In my swift, I sometimes have to adjust myself to see the odo clear. Vista didn't have that problem. And whoever said that people get distracted by looking into the center console is bull s%^t ! It was more or less the same with the right side console with a positive effect to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajtheindian View Post
It may be Toyota's tactics to delay the Diesel to avoid a TAXI badge in the early days, Majority of the Indica and Logan taxis are Diesels.
I think in the same lines - there is no reason for Toyota to delay this as this is already plonked into Altis [I expect the same to come into this car as well]. I believe the diesel sure will rock in this car. I remember the Altis D review saying the car's driveability is awesome ! Now imagine this car is much lighter with same 90 PS.

And end of the say what matters to a company is its sales & profits irrespective of the "type" of customers. Definitely, the more taxi image a car has - the normal customers tend to stay away. I think with the kind of response we have here [that the car is plain ugly], Toyota should market it more for taxi segments ! I dont see anything wrong with that. But lets watch what Toyota has in mind !

I would be seriously happy to see a 4.99L ex-showroom price for the base version ! Will send a jolt in the mid-size sedan market !

By the way does anyone know whats the annual capacity of Toyota? Its 70,000 units per years ?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 29th November 2010 at 08:54.
Old 29th November 2010, 08:58   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

I would be seriously happy to see a 4.99L ex-showroom price for the base version ! Will send a jolt in the mid-size sedan market !
What is so special about 4.99L if it does not have even a PS?
The DZire and Manza base version costs same or less and comes with PS and I think adjustable headrests.
Anyone can cut corners and reduce the prices.
I dont think this car is any better than the Manza/Dzire. The interior quality is pretty pathetic and the dashboard is the worst seen in any car in the recent times.

Toyota is trying to cash in on the ypical Indian middle class mindset of owning a Toyota at5-6 lakhs and they will succeed.
Old 29th November 2010, 09:08   #389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
What is so special about 4.99L if it does not have even a PS?
The DZire and Manza base version costs same or less and comes with PS and I think adjustable headrests.
Anyone can cut corners and reduce the prices.
I dont think this car is any better than the Manza/Dzire. The interior quality is pretty pathetic and the dashboard is the worst seen in any car in the recent times.

Toyota is trying to cash in on the ypical Indian middle class mindset of owning a Toyota at5-6 lakhs and they will succeed.
VW Vento was launched for 6.99 L without much equipment levels. Its all about marketing - nothing more! Whoever cant afford the top levels will go for the base version - others will go for variants with the features they want. No company launches a car taking customer feedbacks. They will have some agenda based on which they make cars and targets it! And in reviews they have mentioned the car is really good in driveability / FE , interior space and luggage space. Whoever doesnt like it will find a car of their choice!

And if you ask me, I will not even buy this car! For me there is lot more than the interior space / luggage space in a car [again personal choices].

I am so surprised that no one bothers about Dzire that is being sold at a premium which has cramped interiors and a disgusting look as other cars in the segment; but have a problem with Toyota making a car to the "price" with better space !
Old 29th November 2010, 09:09   #390
Senior - BHPian

First impressions aren't too great. The design is bland, the interiors of the competition are way better. It looks spacious, but not more than the Manza. To me the speedo dials look so radio like (The antique big radios which had the frequencies laid out just like the Etios's speedo). At the end of the day, i guess a Toyota is a Toyota.. So lets see if this lives up to the big Toyota brand.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks