Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2010, 12:27   #406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Please understand that Camry, Altis and Innovan are much wider than Etios. Please check the pics online for these cars, those vents are in no way obstructed by steering wheel for Camry or Altis.
Your answer is not convincing at all. If all the hatchbacks in the market can have AC vents side by side, why can't Etios. Is Etios narrower than an Estilo?
Old 29th November 2010, 12:31   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Mark my words,"RIP swift dzire."
True. But it all depends how soon Toyota brings the Etios 1.4 diesel too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I still dont understand why should I pay an extra 1 lakh for the boot of Dzire, in addition to the swift ! Or is it actually justified?
Err, Isnt the same happening with Manza( except Manza gets a 1.3 Linea engine) ? The same would happen with Etios hatch & sedan too. I am not saying its justified, but its the same situation with the competition too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
I wonder what would happen to i20 & Jazz... & probably Maruti-Suzuki mgmt. will think twice before increasing the price with the 2011 Swift launch.
True , a few people who are in market for a premium hatch might have a look at Etios before taking the plunge , IIRC i read few of members here too are in same situation.

I dont see a big threat from Etios hatch, so i dont think Maruti, Hyundai , Ford and VW would be too worried about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
And anyways, is there a New Swift DZire coming?
Swift is expected to be launched after March 2011. So Expect 2011 Diwali or 2012 1st quarter atleast.
Old 29th November 2010, 12:39   #408
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Etios, Dzire and Manza all compete in the same price band, I personally feel the Manza is acutally a class up on the Dzire and the Etios, but being in the same price band it is not how most would see it.

Manza is already within 10% of the Dzire Sales numbers for the last many months, and is doing quite well, hope the Etios takes the fight to the Dzire but does not weaken the Manza numbers too much. the weight periods for the Dzire need to go ASAP.

Etios fullfills the exact same proposition that the Dzire presents - mainly reliablity at a low cost. Manza gives more VFM and hence addresses a slightly different audience.

Lets see how it goes.
Old 29th November 2010, 12:43   #409
Senior - BHPian

According to me there is one point which is ignored in the views mentioned above, all the products which are a hit in India are those which were already a hit worldwide, that was the reason no on bothered abt build quality and other factors like that.

But Etios will not enjoy that favor, its something first in India, so do expect some kind of skepticism from the indian customers in accepting this product.

People will surely wait and watch and not lap the product right away.. but of course once it some time is passed it will be accepted. Even the might of MSIL would have to go thro some period to get acceptance of its India first products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
I would beg to disagree.

I'm no fan of the Swift DZire, infact I hate it. But still, Maruti's Sales and Service has reached a high level in sheer numbers and they have been consistent in customer satisfaction as well. I don't think Toyota can match Maruti in sales and service points and the target customer isn't complaining of the Maruti's quality that he wants to shift to a Toyota.

And anyways, is there a New Swift DZire coming?

If priced right, the Etios will be a game changer. But don't write off the competition yet.
+1 to that even I dont think Dzire's figures would be affected much because of Etios.

But one car that would be affected is the Corrolla. Those who buy Toyota just for the satisfaction fact will now on prefer Etios. including the taxi market.
Old 29th November 2010, 13:07   #410
Senior - BHPian

Etios hatchback will be called Etios Liva,
SCOOP! Etios hatchback is Liva | Autocar India

Quote:
Toyota has christened the Etios hatchback the Etios Liva. The name will be officially announced on December 1st in Bangalore when both the saloon and hatchback version of the Etios will be launched. In the same way the Dzire is an extension of the Swift name, the Liva will be a sub-brand of the Etios badge.
The Etios Liva will be powered by a 1.2 litre engine developing around 80bhp. The bantam weight 890kg hatchback promises strong performance without compromising fuel efficiency. Interior space is similar to the Etios saloon and hence the Liva promises to be the most spacious hatchback in its class.
Toyota plans to introduce a 1.4 diesel engine at a later stage for both the Etios saloon and Liva. This diesel will be similar to the one in the Corolla diesel but is unlikely to get the same variable geometry turbo (VGT). Instead a fixed geometry turbo developing around 70bhp is likely to be used as this will offer better fuel consumption and cost less than the VGT.
There is also talk of introducing the saloon’s 1.5-litre 88.7bhp engine in the Liva at a later stage to spice up the Liva’s rather tame personality.
Old 29th November 2010, 13:11   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
Etios' first casualty IMO will be the Manza. People who look at Manza go for it's space and when you have a Toyota with acres of space the natural tendency will be to oversee the Manza. Dzire being a market leader will be hit next. I would expect Maruti to slash the prices atleast by the time the diesel version of Etios is launched. The same will hold good for the regular swift when the Etios hatch is launched.
All these are possible without taking the next gen swift's launch. Who knows the next gen Swift may already be undergoing changes for a Dzire avatar!
This won't happen until Etios Diesel is out. Manza rakes volumes in diesel mainly.
D'Zire can get hit immediately. By the time Etios Diesel is in, DZire based on new swift may also be in. Its complicated.
Old 29th November 2010, 13:55   #412
Team-BHP Support

The Etios looks like is loosely based on the Vios in Thailand. It's just a stripped down version of the Vios. Lots of similarities from the Vios.

For the segment, the looks are acceptable. The worrying thing is the Quality. Toyota is claiming that Etios is the Q class but from the reports from ACI, OD and other sources, the quality is nothing to write home about. That's worrying.
Old 29th November 2010, 13:56   #413
BHPian

A small comparison..
Look: Manza (sophisticated, majority of people liked it, futuristic/non-conventional) > etios/dzire (arguable/ugly to tooo conventional)
Cost to own : manza=dzire=etios (plus/minus 10% of cost)
cost to maintain: manza=dzire < etios
Features (with same price tag): manza > dzire > etios
Dependance: Etios (? not yet known as this is the first car presented in India. however, with toyota badge there should not be any problem as such..looks like) > dzire > manza (few problems here and there)
Service network: manza=dzire (many authorised service stations and also any road side mechanic can do something about it) > etios (poor authorised service network)
Ownership pride : etios (Toyota) > dzire (Suzuki) > manza (Tata, may be changing face of tata may change this also or may take it very close to Suzuki)
Space: manza > dzire = etios (? not yet fully known)
waiting period: manza < dzire (6-8 months) < etios (should not be like fortuner.. but looks like that from some earlier posts)

Last edited by enthu : 29th November 2010 at 13:57.
Old 29th November 2010, 14:02   #414
BHPian

MSIL has always been a favourite also due to the low cost of spares which plays a significant role when it comes to B & Lower C segments. It will be interesting to see if Toyota is able to control this department.
As far as the new DZire is concerned, Toyota should have launched their diesel Etios by then. Also the so called new Swift does not look that much New, so I dont see that much newness in the New DZire also.
Kudos to Toyota for simultaneously launching the hatch & the sedan. No manufacturer has done that. Closest time gap was between launch of Polo & Vento I feel. Correct me if I am wrong ppl.
Old 29th November 2010, 14:04   #415

Good Package for General Car Buying Public

One of my close friend works for Toyota in Bidadi plant… here are some of his observations that he mentioned to me during our last week trekking in Western Ghats...
Peppy engine, unstrained at high rpms but quite audible
good ride and handling combo
Suspension on the firm side, gets bumpy at high speeds, good ground clearance
Very good brakes (with ABS)
Very effective air conditioning
Decent plastic quality but cost cutting evident
Excellent cabin space
Driving position not very comfortable for tall drivers (my friend is 183 cm tall)

Only brochures available in dealerships. No test drive cars available till Jan 2011 . Display vehicles to be available by mid/end of December. Advance booking amount 50k. Base variant cost expected at 5.5 lac.
Though the car is not to my taste, Toyota has done a good job keeping in mind the requirements of general public. They could have done a better job on the looks department and equipment level though.
Old 29th November 2010, 15:00   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
This is precisely what I want to see !
Its too early to say something like this! You all have seen 'all new Swift' to be launched sometime in 2011 and we are yet to see 'all new Swift DZire' based on that.

Sure, Etios if priced neck to neck with Swift DZire will be a healthy competitor but you never know how all new DZire is going to be.

Trying to be optimistic
Old 29th November 2010, 19:31   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-jet-mahi View Post
One of my close friend works for Toyota in Bidadi plant… here are some of his observations that he mentioned to me during our last week trekking in Western Ghats...
Driving position not very comfortable for tall drivers (my friend is 183 cm tall)
Hi @t-jet-mahi: Isnt the driver seat height adjustable? Also can you please find out more about the nature of discomfort e.g., not enough underthigh support or steering wheel is obstructing?

thanks!
Old 29th November 2010, 20:39   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Your answer is not convincing at all. If all the hatchbacks in the market can have AC vents side by side, why can't Etios. Is Etios narrower than an Estilo?
My Fiesta hade the AC vents in their "usual" place. When i turn on the AC, the cold air would blow straight at my palm/fingers.
I really dont see a problem in having AC vents placed else where, granted the dash looks quirky, but is it a deal breaker??, when it's competition is really the DZire ??
Old 29th November 2010, 20:58   #419
Senior - BHPian

India is really a market which is expanding so i doubt Dzire sales will be hit too any extent.Its just that the market will grow with the Etios.However it will be the death knell for Logan.
Old 30th November 2010, 06:04   #420
BHPian

Quote:
May not be until they launch their Diesel version
Closed Thread

Most Viewed