Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2010, 13:37   #466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
The base version price of 4.96L is just an eyewash.
Who would buy a sedan with no power steering?

Hyundai i10-Dlite @ 3.58L is another similar example.
Has anyone ever seen a i-10 D-lite on the road?
Yes. It is an eyewash but they have the huge taxi market waiting to grab it. Moreover, the car is lightweight so steering should be manageable compared to other cars.
Old 1st December 2010, 13:40   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
Yes. It is an eyewash but they have the huge taxi market waiting to grab it. Moreover, the car is lightweight so steering should be manageable compared to other cars.
The base version might sell some numbers but IMO lack of power steering will definitely affect the taxi sales as well. Probably, the low price is being advertised to make the people come to the show room. Once they get in, then they would look at the higher versions and probably close a deal
Old 1st December 2010, 13:44   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeld View Post
Pricing right on target by Toyota .

It took me a while to digest the Etios pricing, specially after looking at the expected price for the Honda Brio at Rs 6 lakhs.
It looks more like shock and awe to me. They create the shock with such a low pricing. Im sure the base variant owners will be lucky to get 4 seats and a steering wheel. We will know the true VFM only after spec list is published and vehicle comes to the showrooms.

Aggressive cost-cutting is sometimes detrimental. personally, i would pay more to drive a safer, more comfortable car rather than just rely on how low the launch-announced price is.

Usually these prices go up in a very short time as well, for a variety of excuses
Old 1st December 2010, 13:44   #469
BHPian

heck. i tried to check the toyota webpage it is toooo busy.. not able to check the authentic information.
though the pricing is shocking.. so all birds will floak to toyota dealer now...!! i hope dealers have increased the manpower to sustain the crowd..
Old 1st December 2010, 13:44   #470
Senior - BHPian

For those in Delhi-the car will be on display at Select Citywalk mall, saket on December 4 and 5.
Old 1st December 2010, 13:50   #471
BHPian

etios liva photograph..
Attached Thumbnails
Pics:Toyota unveils the Etios concept at the AE 2010. UPDATE: PRICES pg30!-liva.jpg  

Old 1st December 2010, 13:50   #472
Senior - BHPian

I can see Etios being a very fragile car. It weighs 100 Kgs lesser than Dzire and is 100 mm longer than Dzire and has a 1.5L engine as compared to 1.2L lighter engine in Dzire. I wonder what would be the thickness of the sheet metal used in Etios?
Old 1st December 2010, 13:57   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
The J trim in Corolla is also popular as a hotel taxi. The Etios J trim can become a radio taxi.
Old 1st December 2010, 13:59   #474
Senior - BHPian

That is good pricing by Toyota but the base version is crap. It's a bare bone car with not even an Electronic power steering and power windows!

The variant to go for IMO, is the 'G'. It has all the essential equipments one needs and ABS+Airbags is optional extra. At 5.46L, it's a good buy (if you can live with those ugly interiors).
Old 1st December 2010, 14:00   #475
BHPian

After reading ACI i liked the Car but suddenly(after the price announcement) feel that i am liking the Car very much and even i think that Etios looks are great. Kudos Toyota
Old 1st December 2010, 14:05   #476
Senior - BHPian

Very good pricing. Wish they had launched the diesel too in one go like VW. Looks to me they have their act right this time and 2011 will be the year of Toyota rather than honda!
Old 1st December 2010, 14:10   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I can see Etios being a very fragile car. It weighs 100 Kgs lesser than Dzire and is 100 mm longer than Dzire and has a 1.5L engine as compared to 1.2L lighter engine in Dzire. I wonder what would be the thickness of the sheet metal used in Etios?
I am wondering the same as well ! at 930 kilos for a sedan it is lighter than the the much older OHC vtec which was infact complained of being to too light and therefore a little scary to drive at 140+ . Although this is 2010 and the materials used have improved leaps and bounds i cant say i am not concerned about the the safety but if it can still pass the safety tests then a light weight sedan is the way to go!
Old 1st December 2010, 14:11   #478
BHPian

From what I see, the Etios is not a competitor to the Vento (except space) or the Linea. Probably a solution to a hatchback owner to upgrade. It's atleast much better than the Dzire which is useless.

G* will be the one to go for. Rs 7 lakhs OTR is decent. Manza Aura ABS too costs 6.9 OTR but the Etios will steal the show.
Old 1st December 2010, 14:13   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Any news about the Diesel sedan launch?
when I enquired dealer said, Petrol hatch & Diesel Sedan to be lauched in March, and in July, Diesel Hatch.
Old 1st December 2010, 14:13   #480
BHPian

Typical reaction for launch pricing, as we saw with the vento. The top end is going to cost aound 9 lakhs OTR in Bangalore (The top end SX4 is available for less than 9.5 after all the discounts). The real challenger for Dzire and Manza would be the diesel model, which when launched is obviously going to cost much more. We have to wait and see for the market reaction. Pricing for one, is definitely not going to kill the Dzire/Manza.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed