Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2010, 22:44   #556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Also in case of Toyota quality is never doubted, and the fortuner was available across the world prior to India launch, how advisable would it be with the Aria. TATA definately have put in efforts to make this a very good product, but one would never know how well they have succeded untill the first batch of vehicles is out.
Though Tata and Toyota are not comparable in terms of quality, wasn't the recent launches of Vista and Manza decent (not Toyota quality, of course, but better compared to previous Tata launches)?

Without much niggles and negative publicity? Going by that logic, I would say that Aria would be similar. Correct me if i am wrong.
Old 19th April 2010, 10:53   #557
Team-BHP Support

Due to some obesession on part of car magazines "Plastic quality, or feel to be more precise" is very overrated. In the end what matters more is reliability, and the capability of a vehicle to never see the workshop except for services.
If Tata can deliver this in the Aria at 10-12L price bracket, its actually a more complete and better equipped vehicle than the competition, which includes the Innova too.
Old 19th April 2010, 11:04   #558
Senior - BHPian

My uncle in karnataka is waiting to buy the aria & went to a nearby tata dealer (apparently the owner is his close friend) & he told him that aria will be priced between 12-15 lakhs. dont know how far this is true.
Old 19th April 2010, 12:07   #559
BHPian

A price tag of anything above the 10L will kill the Aria. With the Yeti and compact Toyota SUV and the Compact Mahindra SUV coming soon, TATA will have to do a lot more to its build quality and brand image amongst urban India.
Old 19th April 2010, 13:58   #560
Senior - BHPian

I think people are comparing the wrong two cars here, Albeit that the Aria has similar disign proportions to the Innova and it seats 7-8 people, but it definitely is not meant to be primarily for ferrying people about wearing a yellow plate.

The chances the Aria will be priced below 10 lacs is wishful thinking, consdering the price range of the Safari at the moment. Also this is far more engineering gone into the Aria than the Innova. First and foremost its bigger and more loaded, not to forget the AWD option.

If Tata was aiming for the Innova they would have made a Xylo, basic but effective, mish mash of existing parts, no all wheel discs, AWD, etc..etc...and would have definitely priced it much below the Innova. Perhaps even a pick up variant like the Innova (hilux) or Xylo.

Of course Tata havent yet reached the Buid quality standards of Toyota and to be honest thats still some time away. But otherwise its pretty evident that the Aria is a much better package and also probably a more expensive one. Its not meant to be parked outside taxi stands or ferry folks from call centres.

If Tata has to make its mark globally it definitly needs something like the Aria, and aiming for the Innova simply will not do. Toyota dont sell the Innova in N.America or Europe. This might mean that they might loose potential sales of price concious customers in India like fleet/taxi operators, but theres a bigger and better market out there and I am for one glad thats what Tata is aiming for.
Old 19th April 2010, 15:45   #561
BHPian

Rear looks very plain for a 12-13 l car/muv/suv whatever
Looks like the rear of an ambulance
Reminds me of the 'matador van' days

This post is an opinion has no much of an "information value"
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Tata Motors unveil the Aria (Indicruze) at the Auto Expo 2010. Video: Pg 52-ttatat.gif  

Last edited by sandygordon : 19th April 2010 at 15:48. Reason: addition of text
Old 19th April 2010, 16:18   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Rear looks very plain for a 12-13 l car/muv/suv whatever
Looks like the rear of an ambulance
Most tata cars have the same rear design - from Nano to this one. Safari stands out, but I wonder whether it too is going to have the same rear design. That will destroy Safari.
Old 19th April 2010, 16:31   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Due to some obesession on part of car magazines "Plastic quality, or feel to be more precise" is very overrated. In the end what matters more is reliability, and the capability of a vehicle to never see the workshop except for services.
If Tata can deliver this in the Aria at 10-12L price bracket, its actually a more complete and better equipped vehicle than the competition, which includes the Innova too.
Few Magazines have kept on churning the same stories time and again. But the fact is that the plastics have improved drastically from earlier cars they used to make. And at the end of day, most of us are no experts in recognizing the plastic quality and actually are not able to really distinguish one from other. Frankly, I have really not been able to do so from Innova to Safari to Vista to Swift to whatever.

They had issues earlier, they have learnt their lessons and improving. Like all of us they too have their learning curve. Its only been 11 years for them in this business compared to 30, 40 or even 60,70 for many manufacturers. Let us appreciate this aspect and not always be negative and pessimistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
My uncle in karnataka is waiting to buy the aria & went to a nearby tata dealer (apparently the owner is his close friend) & he told him that aria will be priced between 12-15 lakhs. dont know how far this is true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragstar View Post
A price tag of anything above the 10L will kill the Aria. With the Yeti and compact Toyota SUV and the Compact Mahindra SUV coming soon, TATA will have to do a lot more to its build quality and brand image amongst urban India.
At the time of launch it was mentioned that the car would be priced around 6-8 Lakhs and so it will be. Tata's do know the Indian market well and know what price the customers will shell out. Case in point being the pricing of Manza, Vista - we all do regard them as a great VFM, which is one of the directives given by Sir Jeh himself during his times. So Aria would have a feature pack set and a reasonable price too.
Old 19th April 2010, 16:45   #564
BHPian

Today again I saw Aria on Pune Banglore highway. This time it was stopped for rest and I also stopped and pipped into it. Third row seat is for kids because it has very less leg room. It was having black bumpers and looks like it was abused too much. Very inconsistent panel gaps. Aria was white in color. That must be entry level Aria I think. My guess is that Aria pricing will start at Rs.9 Lakhs by looking at the car.
Old 19th April 2010, 17:13   #565
Senior - BHPian

Tata,

Here's my view to successfully launch the Aria.

Kill Sumo Grande MK-II. Its doing no wonders. Let the brand die a peaceful death and not a slow death it is currently facing.

Start the Aria where the Grande stopped (pricing wise). This way, you eat the shares of Xylo, Scorpio (at the lower end of the spectrum) and Innova, Endeavour, Captiva (At the premium end of the spectrum).

Advertise. Use the team that made Safari ads so lively, so full of to the right audience.

All the best
Old 19th April 2010, 17:20   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyurshah View Post
At the time of launch it was mentioned that the car would be priced around 6-8 Lakhs and so it will be. Tata's do know the Indian market well and know what price the customers will shell out. Case in point being the pricing of Manza, Vista - we all do regard them as a great VFM, which is one of the directives given by Sir Jeh himself during his times. So Aria would have a feature pack set and a reasonable price too.
Aria at 6-8 lakhs is frankly impossible. I had a chance to sit in one of the arias at the Auto Expo and the feature set and the product itself needs atleast a 9-10L price range for the base version. And i also feel that TATA should give up those tall taillamps for larger vehicles. It definitely feels out of place on the Aria
Old 19th April 2010, 19:18   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Start the Aria where the Grande stopped (pricing wise). This way, you eat the shares of Xylo, Scorpio (at the lower end of the spectrum) and Innova, Endeavour, Captiva (At the premium end of the spectrum).
One product selling in the range of 8-19 Lakhs? I don't think it is going to work that way. Then where will Safari be placed?

Aria is likely to be positioned above Safari.
Old 19th April 2010, 19:24   #568
Senior - BHPian

People are being too optimistic about Aria Pricing.

6 airbags (?), AWD, Bigger than Innova, 2.2 L safari engine, Bigger and better looking than innova @ 8L. I need one!!
Old 20th April 2010, 09:34   #569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One product selling in the range of 8-19 Lakhs? I don't think it is going to work that way. Then where will Safari be placed?

Aria is likely to be positioned above Safari.
Nope. 8-14 lakh bracket. Those who want the Safari will still go for the same. Safari is an SUV, Aria an MPV.
Old 20th April 2010, 10:08   #570
Distinguished - BHPian

It will be very difficult to price the Aria anything below 9 lacs even for the base version. But this time they should have the airbags and ABS as standard across all trims.

May be safari will be priced atleast a 1-1.5 lacs lesser and Aria may start off from the current safri prices.

All speculations will be put to rest only when the official prices are out.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed