Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2010, 15:04   #601
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

djavalkar

The TATA Safari was well ahead of it's time in design when it came out, it's never been accused of being a copy of any car worldwide.

The Aria yes it tries to fit in the best of all the Crossover segment cars and yet the rear does resemble the CRV from the side but then the rear from the rear resemples the TATA family cars as always. You could then also say that the exhausts resemble those of the Cavtiva and the proportions and concept that of the Innova.

A designer has to take care to not disturb what is correct in the current trend and TATA seems to have taken care of this. The Design elements were more of less frozen almost 2.5 years back when the Aria has been spotted testing in European conditions. They have been improving on that and obviously on quality and engineering aspects in this period and that only agurs well for the industry.

Nope the Japs won't take the game away this time, the launch is reasonably close.
Old 31st May 2010, 15:27   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
djavalkar

The TATA Safari was well ahead of it's time in design when it came out, it's never been accused of being a copy of any car worldwide.
Nope the Japs won't take the game away this time, the launch is reasonably close.
ACM, Good explanation and to me, this is too much of an explanation to djavalkar's comment above.
The moment I saw djavalkar's comment, I too was tempted, but, didnt want to waste time

I seriously think folks who writes up here should feel the responsibility and write things as their "personal opinion" rather than "judgement".

I dont want to go OT more than this.
MODs, You may delete this post if you think this is unnecessary.

Prem.
Old 31st May 2010, 16:06   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djavalkar View Post
Immediate thoughts

It is a copy paste of 3 vehicles, the concept is that of an innova, the front lights are a straight lift from the indica albeit a bigger version. The rear is a exact copy of the grand caravan (check attached), and the rear windows are from the honda CRV !!

Tata guys copy well - which I do not really mind, but the problem is that they do not even copy to perfection !! By the time the all the issues are sorted out and ARIA gets settled i the market the toyota's will launch something more phenomenal and TATA's will be on yet another spree of copying the latest version.

All the best TATA's
I think, Aria has round wheels which are copied from some x model .

Jokes apart, keeping with current/future design trends is not called copying. We need to learn to appreciate Tata's design process. Their design approach is practical and simple. Take an example of safari. You wont need any better explanation. Even if you look at Indica design by going into 1998, it was futuristic design at that time. Even Tata Trucks look better than their competitors. Look at the Tata Ace in LCV market. Look at the Tata Sierra, Nano, Sumo(by going into 1996). Please tell me any perticular design from Tata which has received comment "UGLY" when you look at it first.

If you see Aria while running on Pune-Bangluru highway then you will realize its amazing road presence.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 31st May 2010 at 16:15.
Old 31st May 2010, 16:10   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Immediate thoughts

It is a copy paste of 3 vehicles, the concept is that of an innova, the front lights are a straight lift from the indica albeit a bigger version. The rear is a exact copy of the grand caravan (check attached), and the rear windows are from the honda CRV !!
Many cars resemble each other. Tata have done a good job as it looks so far, let us not disparage unnecessarily but based on facts and reasonable opinions, statements etc.

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th June 2010 at 11:46. Reason: Unnecessary comment removed.
Old 31st May 2010, 16:12   #605
BHPian

I saw this one being tested on NH-4 close to Khed-Shivapur near Pune. It looked awesome and due to being half covered and the darkness it was difficult to make out which people carrier it was. If this clicks (which I am sure it will) , Toyota Innova better watch out.
Old 2nd June 2010, 19:08   #606
BHPian

These images were clicked on NH4; we were doing at least 150 kmph and these test mules were with us all the way from nippani till Islampur
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Tata Motors unveil the Aria (Indicruze) at the Auto Expo 2010. Video: Pg 52-dsc03432.jpg  

Pics: Tata Motors unveil the Aria (Indicruze) at the Auto Expo 2010. Video: Pg 52-dsc03433.jpg  

Pics: Tata Motors unveil the Aria (Indicruze) at the Auto Expo 2010. Video: Pg 52-dsc03434.jpg  

Old 2nd June 2010, 22:37   #607
Senior - BHPian

^^ Thanks for the pictures. The car looks huge, even next to the truck.

By the way, what car were you driving (a i20?)?
Old 2nd June 2010, 22:56   #608
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing pictures. Yes it looks really big, look at those huge tyres. Launch date is nearing.
Old 2nd June 2010, 23:11   #609
BHPian

thanks for the pics raj.barcode.
But how come you are driving at 150 kmph and still taking pics of the aria behind?
Old 3rd June 2010, 13:37   #610
BHPian

Looks very vistaish from behind, the proportions have changed though.
Old 4th June 2010, 01:17   #611
BHPian

Looks like a supercomfy plush highway cruiser. I also love the way the rear bumper rises up near the tail lamps and the bumper looks like its from the XXL sized American SUVs. Big and brute.
Old 4th June 2010, 06:14   #612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Looks very vistaish from behind, the proportions have changed though.
Ummm, I'd say it looks like the Cadillac SRX .
Old 6th June 2010, 19:04   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
djavalkar

The Aria yes it tries to fit in the best of all the Crossover segment cars and yet the rear does resemble the CRV from the side but then the rear from the rear resemples the TATA family cars as always. You could then also say that the exhausts resemble those of the Cavtiva and the proportions and concept that of the Innova.

A designer has to take care to not disturb what is correct in the current trend and TATA seems to have taken care of this. The Design elements were more of less frozen almost 2.5 years back when the Aria has been spotted testing in European conditions. They have been improving on that and obviously on quality and engineering aspects in this period and that only agurs well for the industry.

Thanks ACM - THe reason why I was stating so confidently about "copying" stuff is becuase I know a couple of guys with TATA's who told me that the baseline for the aria design (looks) is - innova +CRV.

As I said in my previous note - it is nice to copy and make a beauitful prodcut with all the bells and whistles, but somehow it is tough to reply on a new TATA vehicle - since not all the aspects are tested. The customer ends up as a "tester" by paying up , the post sales follow up are pretty frustrating !!

Safari was the first one ingeniously developed -which is very nice - it evolved over 10 years - which by and large as per any industry standards is a very large time frame. Think about the scorpio - it came in later in the game and swept away the sales from TATA's - had the TATA's kept up to pace with the market requirements - it would have been a different story.

To sum it up - may the best vehicle win
Old 7th June 2010, 00:43   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks ACM - THe reason why I was stating so confidently about "copying" stuff is becuase I know a couple of guys with TATA's who told me that the baseline for the aria design (looks) is - innova +CRV.
It is called benchmarking, most of the vehicle manufacturers do that. According to me it is good if they offer a CRV type vehicle at Innova price. Lets wait and watch! any idea of probable market launch date?
Old 7th June 2010, 01:05   #615
naj
BHPian

Hello,

If any Pune T-Bhpians want to have a good dekhoo at the car then they can do so at katraj Dairy.The road test team wind up their daily test run with an hours break.The test Drivers do not mind mind sneek peek if it is reasonable.
The testing team is assembling for the last 4 months for their winding up sessions at Katraj dairy.
Its usually between 1730 hrs and 1900 hrs.

One of the cars I saw had its right hand front wheel wobbling .Wonder why?
But believe me the car looks great .

Naj

Last edited by naj : 7th June 2010 at 01:07.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks