Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2010, 20:34   #106
BHPian

Nice pics once again. The Polo in red looks marvellous. Nice clean lines, nothing over done. Hope it is priced well and they bring the Diesel soon.
Old 7th January 2010, 21:27   #107
cLJ
BHPian

Polo is a good car, but it need minimum 1.4 engine. Having driven the car in the past, I have no doubt whatsoever about its build quality and performance, but with a better powered engine though. I don't know what would be the ground clearance, but from the picture I assume it will have problem in India.

CLJ
Old 7th January 2010, 21:32   #108
BHPian

Any mention of the PHAETON?

I mean, it is the most under-rated full sized luxury sedan ever.
Old 8th January 2010, 10:12   #109
BHPian

Polo seems a very good car . however I feel somethings never changes or may be some european manufacturers will never understand the need of India
Im refering to the rear seat comfort & spacing . the pictures clearly says shows how cramped is polo for the rear occupants . why cannot that optimization of space be achieved .

VW is a people's car . Hope it prices the car well. they should learn from others mistakes ( jazz ) . just for a brand & build & some other reasons a 1.2 litre hatch should not be priced at premium . If VW has to survive in india they have to be a people's car maker for india too .

The expectation is that polo should have the same price band of swift .
Old 8th January 2010, 11:24   #110
BHPian

Polo is really a very good car. What I loved was its neat design, just goes to show that if you just get the basics right one can still come up with a very good design. As in Polo the design is very simple but very admirable also.
But the rear legroom seems to be too less. Also the same Fabia engine.......
Old 8th January 2010, 12:18   #111
BHPian

I am very much disappointed with VW Polo as they are not launching the diesel version along with petrol, and I think 1.2 CRDI will be definitely underpower for this type of car.
So now I am thinking to book either Swift VDI or i20 CRDI
Old 8th January 2010, 13:05   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

VW is only a peoples' car for the people that can afford it.
Old 8th January 2010, 14:24   #113
BHPian

I am very impressed with the Polo . Im in love with those Audi like front lights .
Sat in one yesterday and the front is very comfortable . The quality of the Aircon switches was not so much better than a Swift .
Goodbye Fabia , your big bro "feels special" .
Old 8th January 2010, 15:33   #114
Senior - BHPian

More info on the new Polo added to post no. 1 and info on the Polo Cup added to post no. 2 of this thread.
Old 8th January 2010, 16:42   #115
BHPian

VW polo looks good, just as a german car supposed to look. It would have been great had they offered polo with the VW 1.4L diesel engine, which --if i am not mistaken-- won the best engine award last year in small car segment. That engine would have 'smoothen out' or rectified the power deficiency which the current 1.2L engine options that will be on offer in our country.
Old 8th January 2010, 18:50   #116
Senior - BHPian

A VW Polo at the price of i20, Jazz, Fabia etc. Bye bye Polo - at i20 prices there is no way I'm paying that kind of money for a glorified small hatch with a set of anemic engines.

The 1.2 petrol is the same 3 cylinder that is there in the Fabia right? Well I was impressed with the Fabia diesel's low end grunt - but the petrol was kind of neither here nor there. At those prices VW's Polo sales may be slightly better than it's sister.

Now a 4.3 lac base price would have been much more better. Good interiors, nice handling - I don't think VW has it to take the fight to Maruti and Hyundai. A global manufacturer and no hybrid??

My epitaph to VW unless they offer it for a base of 4.5 lacs. I'll be content to watch them go by.

Drive on!!
Shibu
Old 9th January 2010, 10:50   #117
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
The 1.2 petrol is the same 3 cylinder that is there in the Fabia right? Well I was impressed with the Fabia diesel's low end grunt - but the petrol was kind of neither here nor there. At those prices VW's Polo sales may be slightly better than it's sister.
That's my only problem with the Polo : Choice of engine! The 3 cylinder Fabia unit is pretty lousy for a premium hatchback. And the competition has moved on......the Ritz 1.2 and Hyundai Kappas are pretty sweet 4 cylinder units. The Polo's 3 cylinder will never match the refinement of these two.

As someone else commented, who says lightning doesn't strike the same place TWICE?
Old 9th January 2010, 13:29   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

As someone else commented, who says lightning doesn't strike the same place TWICE?
When they price it above Fabia at par with i20 and slightly below Jazz (sounding as VFM) lightning will strike many more times I guess... Fabia base version is 4.75 lakhs ex-showroom in Bangalore.. VW will anyway put a premium to that..
Old 9th January 2010, 14:02   #119
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP_812 View Post
If these slicks are available in the market dont you think it would be useless in the current Indian Road Conditions.?
Not for regular road conditions, no. But our drag & track racers would definitely appreciate a lower cost (relative to import tyres) option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
I'm really confused. So are we getting a 1.6l petrol or a 1.6l diesel?
The Golf Race Cup wore a 1.6L DIESEL 130 BHP engine.

Last edited by GTO : 9th January 2010 at 14:04.
Old 10th January 2010, 07:10   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren959 View Post
I am very much disappointed with VW Polo as they are not launching the diesel version along with petrol, and I think 1.2 CRDI will be definitely underpower for this type of car.
So now I am thinking to book either Swift VDI or i20 CRDI
I think the 1.2 CRDi would be a medium performer with great mileage. For that amount of money, you can book the 105 Bhp petrol version in this car(which has been mentioned in the brochure)! Or you can go for the Fiat punto sportz!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritedhawan View Post
VW polo looks good, just as a german car supposed to look. It would have been great had they offered polo with the VW 1.4L diesel engine, which --if i am not mistaken-- won the best engine award last year in small car segment. That engine would have 'smoothen out' or rectified the power deficiency which the current 1.2L engine options that will be on offer in our country.
The engine of the year was awarded to their 1.2L TSi engine which produces 105 PS, 77KW @ 5000 which I beleive they will launch after a year or two since VW first wants to see the reception for their cars. And this would be priced higher than the other petrol variants.

Most Viewed