Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2010, 16:12   #151
Senior - BHPian

hey nick she sure looks better than the rickshaws she will potentially replace! Me think a very cute and tad disproportionate rear/a little unasthetic in the rear but a great one replace our ugly and PESKY three wheelers

Last edited by canonball : 23rd January 2010 at 16:13.
Old 24th January 2010, 19:55   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
Is the "Magic Iris" based on the Ace?. This was the only eyesore in an otherwise brilliant TATA Motors display.
Everything has a price. If this Iris thingy costs the same about 1 lakh, then it is a good value proposition and is cheaper than the autorickshaw.

My personal preference is to make nano convertible with may be just two doors and soft top. Should be perfect for the job
Old 25th January 2010, 18:36   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Is the "Magic Iris" based on the Ace?. This was the only eyesore in an otherwise brilliant TATA Motors display.
And the autorickshaws are cute? Put on some glasses , friend! The magic iris is kind of a lower-spec ace.
Old 25th January 2010, 19:10   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

The magic iris sure looks like an out of the world 'alien',
but if its to replace all the 3 wheeler auto rickshaws then sure way to go,i support the product a cent percent
Old 27th January 2010, 15:08   #155
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The nano base model even without any changes would be cheaper and better than the Rick. It is time to replace the Rickshaws with Nano's. Infact even the fiat taxi's in mumbai should be replaced with Nano's.
Old 28th January 2010, 22:02   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
hey nick she sure looks better than the rickshaws she will potentially replace! Me think a very cute and tad disproportionate rear/a little unasthetic in the rear but a great one replace our ugly and PESKY three wheelers
+1 to this.

I would like to see all rickshaws being replaced by this. In our country rickshaws are not covered under any pollution rules. They are the most polluting vehicles on the road. I am sure magic iris will be less polluting than them. ALso why does the government not cover all the vehicles under the pollution laws. Please correct me if I am wrong on this, but even two wheelers are also not covered under pollution rules.
Old 29th January 2010, 11:34   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Infact even the fiat taxi's in mumbai should be replaced with Nano's.
Taxi's usually run on Diesel or CNG. I am not sure if commercial vehicle running on petrol are allowed in Bombay. Also, Taxi's need a lot of luggage carrying ability. Ideally , Logan would be the best choice for them. If Mahindra does not mind the devaluation of the brand (or whatever is left of it).
Old 20th February 2010, 21:42   #158
BHPian

Quote:
I'd think it looks characterful and cute - after the Maruti van - this comes across as a breath of fresh air. Both the front and rear are nice for this category of vehicles with nice flared wheel arches and a perked up nose. They might introduce proper passenger windows at some time.

If a more powerful, better appointed and refined version is launched - Tata might have a high selling baseline mini MPV for around 1.8- 2.4 lakhs.
Old 26th February 2010, 22:51   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender View Post
+1 to this.

I would like to see all rickshaws being replaced by this. In our country rickshaws are not covered under any pollution rules. They are the most polluting vehicles on the road. I am sure magic iris will be less polluting than them. ALso why does the government not cover all the vehicles under the pollution laws. Please correct me if I am wrong on this, but even two wheelers are also not covered under pollution rules.
Well three wheelers and two wheelers are indeed covered under pollution rules. They have some permissible limits within which the emissions should fall. They need to have a PUC (pollution under control) check done every six months.
Old 1st March 2010, 01:22   #160
Senior - BHPian

Guys, any news on the Venture? When is it coming?
Old 4th April 2010, 22:57   #161
BHPian

Hey guys any news when TATA plans to launch Prima and what will be the engine and power options. Since Prima has a larger wheel base(2.7 mtr) and it being a segment higher (C+) than the Manza the rear legroom will be more than mannza with the frontseats pulled back completely and comfy as well. Now only if TATA have good engine options, Maybe the detuned 2.2 one on the Aria for diesel and Maybe a 1.4 tjet from Fiat, all this at 10.5 lakhs OTR would be an awesome package.
Old 5th April 2010, 09:55   #162
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

We have been deviating from the topic quite a bit in the last page on this thread.

The Nano diesel variant is planned, in anycase commercial vehicles are permitted with petrol, but they work out to be too expensive as the metered rates are linked to CNG rates only. In the case of Nano the petrol version is quite fuel effecienty and so if they are permitted to reigister as Taxi / Auto's they would server the market well, as they are cheaper than the auto and much more safer and spacious.

Yep Diesel and CNG variant that are sure to come would see the actual adoption of this vehicle into the mainstream.

We need to phase out Auto's and have just small na/c taxi and larger a/c taxi's. Nano can serve the small na/c segment superbly. The Larger ones could be from any brand.

BTW Mumbai RTO has banned vehicles below 1200 cc for registation as the Black and Yellow taxi in Mumbai recently.

The Magic / Iris / Venture concepts too can serve the commercial people transport space quite well.
Old 21st April 2010, 14:30   #163
BHPian

TATA's have quietly launched the Magic Iris, just today in the Dainik Bhaskar (Jaipur, Edition) saw the Advertisement, the Ex-Showroom Price Jaipur for the base variant, was quoted as Rs.1,98,000/-

Tbhpian's from Jaipur would have checked out the Advertisement in todays Dainik Bhaskar.

Saw one White Colored Iris Magic near Jaipur Railway Station Today itself, it was moving slowly in the traffic, unfortunately i forgot my mobile also at Home :( otherwise i could have taken the pictures also. From whatever i could see, that was a basic variant and was used for commercial use.

Spotting the Advertisement & Vehicle, took me by surprise, that why isnt TATA Launching the Vehicle with a formal Launch Fuction, as this is a Game Changer for the Utalitarian Segment.

Last edited by sharma_sanjeevi : 21st April 2010 at 14:33.
Old 21st April 2010, 16:40   #164
BHPian

looks like a game changer for sure, out to kill the Omni & the EECO. EEKS never liked the look of it though, I am talking about the IRIS looks.
Old 7th June 2010, 17:25   #165
BHPian

Here is the advertisement.
Tata Motors at the Auto Expo 2010-tata_magic_iris_price783557.jpg

According to Carazoo, the price in Jaipur after all the taxes is Rs.2.12 lakhs.

Most Viewed