Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2010, 22:47   #406
Senior - BHPian

Good that they decided not to call it "Sports"

Well, the in-gear acceleration was not a problem with the Punto MJD. It was the flat-out acceleration that was a problem. I wonder how much they have fixed it with the VGT. Going by these reports, I doubt whether this is too much of an improvement.
Old 22nd June 2010, 23:00   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatpower View Post
Just read the Autocar piece on first drive of 90 BHP VGT Punto. Disapponting. They say the in gear figures are more or less the same as regular Punto. However 0-100 time is around a second and a half less less and 0-120 is 3.4 seconds lesser than the regular Punto. So if you drive it flat out, then its better.
A 1.5 second difference is actually a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Good that they decided not to call it "Sports"

Well, the in-gear acceleration was not a problem with the Punto MJD. It was the flat-out acceleration that was a problem. I wonder how much they have fixed it with the VGT. Going by these reports, I doubt whether this is too much of an improvement.
Correct, the in-gear acceleration of the Punto is already okay, from the ACI report the improvement is significant. Although they fail to mention it objectively, a 1.5 second improvement in 0-100 times is a very significant improvement.
Old 22nd June 2010, 23:15   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
A 1.5 second difference is actually a lot.

Indeed, but it still takes over 16 seconds to reach three figures. Thats slow. The 90Bhp i20 Crdi does it in 13 seconds. I was expecting the 90 BHP Punto will match i20's timing.

Last edited by greatpower : 22nd June 2010 at 23:16.
Old 22nd June 2010, 23:20   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupinder View Post
autocar says the expected price is 6.8 lakh
That was the price I was expecting. If autocar is right about the price and Punto 90hp is coming in July, then I guess it's time to call my bank
Old 22nd June 2010, 23:28   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Indeed, but it still takes over 16 seconds to reach three figures. Thats slow. The 90Bhp i20 Crdi does it in 13 seconds. I was expecting the 90 BHP Punto will match i20's timing.
I haven't test driven the 90Bhp Punto as yet, but if ACI's figures are to be believed (which I personally don't), then perhaps the gearing is to blame. However, I would expect a time of 14 seconds or thereabout.

But the again, it is completely counter-intuitive, that the Linea with the same engine takes 15 seconds to reach 0-100 (according to ACI). Think aout it, how can a lighter car (the Punto) with the same engine and gearbox take more time?

If it does, then shouldn't ACI ask the same question and give us an answer? To be honest, I do not trust these automags any more.
Old 22nd June 2010, 23:28   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Same here.

Have they mentioned the timings, or is it just a feeling?
Old 22nd June 2010, 23:30   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Same here.

Have they mentioned the timings, or is it just a feeling?
They have mentioned the timings.

Personally I would wait for someone from us to test drive the car to get first hand feedback.
Old 22nd June 2010, 23:30   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post

But the again, it is completely counter-intuitive, that the Linea with the same engine takes 15 seconds to reach 0-100 (according to ACI). Think aout it, how can a lighter car (the Punto) with the same engine and gearbox take more time?

15 seconds is for the 85 bhp engine. Now, the remapped engine is supposed to produce around 92 bhp. There certainly should be some difference in the timings now.
Old 23rd June 2010, 01:04   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
15 seconds is for the 85 bhp engine. Now, the remapped engine is supposed to produce around 92 bhp. There certainly should be some difference in the timings now.
You are right, the 15 second number I quoted was from their December 2009 test-drive (this was before BS-IV norms). So the Linea should be even faster now.

The Punto gets the exact same engine in the same state of tune, and same gearbox, a 16 second 0-100 time seems ludicrous.
Old 23rd June 2010, 08:21   #415
BHPian

Very Disappointing from FIAT... no match for I 20CRDI.... Yesterday i was thinking of relpacing my GP1.4P with 90HP Diesel Punto.... After reading Autocar... i have changed my mind.... Well.. Autocar quoted that this is not the final car they where testing... go FIAT(fortunately) launch a good car with better gear ratio, better AC and some more comforts.
Old 23rd June 2010, 08:56   #416
Senior - BHPian

Have they changed the gear ratios?
Old 23rd June 2010, 11:18   #417
BHPian

I would not buy what ACI has reported. The timing of 16 secs seems impractical. I hope one of our guru's gets to test one quickly.
Old 23rd June 2010, 12:14   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok_lat View Post
Very Disappointing from FIAT... no match for I 20CRDI....
Too early to draw conclusions. I wouldn't read much into this ACI review- there are far too many contradictory statements. In theory, it should better the Linea figures (now with the same Engine & lighter body); but the ACI review contradicts this. I would wait for the official figures & an actual TD by GTO / other Team-BHPians.
Old 23rd June 2010, 13:03   #419
BHPian

WOW

we are discussing the facts quoted by a company who takes out an additional supplement just to praise how great is the new honda city!! and no where it said it was an advertorial. they had autocar india written in bold over the supplement.
i doubt they would spend that kind of money only because the car is SO good. my bet is that they get paid to say that X car is so good and Y is not.

wouldn't be surprised if they were paid to say that the punto with a 90 bhp engine was a disappointment.

have lost all faith in these auto magazines. though BSM still is holding on to the trustworthy factor!
Old 23rd June 2010, 13:15   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
wouldn't be surprised if they were paid to say that the punto with a 90 bhp engine was a disappointment.
Yes Quiet true... we have to wait until the official spec and launch

Most Viewed