Team-BHP - Proposal of fuel levy to help hit-and-run victims
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Proposal of fuel levy to help hit-and-run victims (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/73122-proposal-fuel-levy-help-hit-run-victims.html)

I think this is totally unfair and a step in the wrong direction, with right intentions though.

Fuel levy to help hit-and-run victims? - India - The Times of India

SC has proposed to the parliament to consider additional fuel levy/surcharge or a one time lifetime thirdpart insurance premium or a combination of both because SC is appalled at the plight of hit-and-run victims.

This is a classic case of misplaced intentions. Instead, SC should ask legislature to revamp the police reforms so that law enforcement is not a mere joke! You have hit-and-run cases because witnesses do not want to come forward and be subjected to harassments!

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitoj (Post 1669823)
I think this is totally unfair and a step in the wrong direction, with right intentions though.

This is a classic case of misplaced intentions.

I am sick of being honest-joe every time. Why do I have to get penalised for some other law breaker's continued getting away, literally, with murder?

The police need to do their job. And insurance needs to become something that is directly linked to a driver, not a vehicle.
That is the biggest change that can be brought about. Let's see how continued absconders and offenders get away then.

They keep building speed breakers because drivers wont slow down themselves, for the pedestrians. Pedestrian will get honked.

Poor Indian drivers.

Similarly, they are assuming that hit and run problem cannot be fixed, hence new work arounds.

Even if the public & law enforcers attitude remians the same, nothing is going to help the hit & run victims...They will die a natural death devoid of any support even SC cannot save them !

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimesOf India (Post 1666723)
"A victim is denied compensation if the vehicle which hits disappears without trace, or if the vehicle is without insurance, while a similar victim hit by an insured vehicle gets compensation."

So what do they mean? Why cops are here. The steps should be taken that it should be ensured there is no vehicle which is not having a third party insurance. Also to defend the hit and run the only solution is monitoring.

Not everyone should be penalized for what some dirty #$@$ are doing. This will affect the revenue of people who depend on vehicles as their daily living.

The laws is what is to be changed to give maximum punishment for such idiots.

I am getting sick and tired of paying taxes multiple times and now even after paying the insurance why should now th additional burden be passed to us. They collect road taxes and the roads do not exist, we pay an educational cess when an educational policy does not exist, we pay a subsidy on diesel when the economy survives on diesel, even the cost of a vehicle so much higher due to international standards. There is no alternative approaches that are feasible for effective mass transport no wonder the roads are now packed with private carriers, autos and taxis. Its easy to add a tax element but we will remain a third world country when it comes to urban planning.

I wish the SC would lay out a law for country wide fuel pipeline distribution to cut distribution costs that we pay for, I wish they would make public transportation a priority before they cry over pollution and traffic jams, I wish they would push for the politicians to be taken off the pricing regime and let a group of talented individuals run it like a proper organization. Else just stop making a rule an age old king who would just add a tax element to fill his pockets.

If this continues it won't be long before they will see a sudden revolt like "I won't pay taxes sue me" (dream away this is india where everyone just says "sab chalta hai" or the karnataka way of saying it "swalpa adjust maadi")

How about implementing measures so that hit and run cases are reduced.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crackingride (Post 1670654)
I am sick of being honest-joe every time. Why do I have to get penalised for some other law breaker's continued getting away, literally, with murder?

So am I mate.... So am I...... :(

Imagine the problems if this were made into a law:
People stepping in front of vehicles for claiming compensation?
Hit and run claim gangs
Rise in false cases, anyways govt would pay
False implication of people in hit and run cases
Wholesale extortion

As is I am paying third party compensation. Now why must I pay fuel surcharge for the same purpose on top of this? Double extortion? oops taxation?

The SC cannot direct or propose to Parliament. The Parliament is not answerable to the SC either. So it is only a suggestion.

Secondly this is not the right time to increase the price of fuel; RBI and the FinMin are looking ways to control the runaway inflation of commodities in these days.

We honor our Judiciary System Congratulations for taking initiative of the poor victims. But on the other hand poor car owner like us are to be victimized to Pay Insurance, Road tax and hit and run tax. So it is like to gain some, we have to loose some. But for some one's gain we have to loose our wallet.

Well i would not like to loose my wallet for some reckless jerk. Why should i pay for someone's fault? You don't extinct whole lion specie for one man eater lion. And if government want to put this kind of tax, it should decrease taxes on fuel. As per my understanding 40% goes to government as tax from a price of a liter of fuel.

My biggest suspicion would be: How to identify who the victim is? OR is it always assumed that the pedestrian is the victim? Let me explain:

In many cases that I have seen, it is the pedestrian/jay walker (or whatever)'s mistake. The poor driver is usually scared out of his wit and disappears from the scene.

Repeating the question: How to identify who the victim is?

Nice point raised by vasanthn, it's my personal experience too. If you have bigger vehicle on the road people take you for granted that you have big responsibility too,so they start walking in front of you thinking you have bigger responsibility so will brake and stop, even two wheelers cut you from all the possible sides. In such cases one wonder who's real victim...

Simply ridiculous. If implemented, all this would lead to is unnecessary burden on non-culprits, and an excellent avenue for whoever to make money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vasanthn21 (Post 1675450)
My biggest suspicion would be: How to identify who the victim is? OR is it always assumed that the pedestrian is the victim? Let me explain:

In many cases that I have seen, it is the pedestrian/jay walker (or whatever)'s mistake. The poor driver is usually scared out of his wit and disappears from the scene.

Repeating the question: How to identify who the victim is?

yeah, coz usually, the traffic constable and public are the jury, judge and executioner and decide who gets to bear the brunt, depending on how clean your clothes are.