Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2010, 17:57   #46
Senior - BHPian

@Gurpartap

No touch ups on the VRS photos.

If only they sold this version of the Fabia here!.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda at the Auto Expo 2010-new-delhi-auto-expo-091-large.jpg  

Old 20th January 2010, 11:51   #47
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

checked more on the YETI last evening

It will have a clear roof -like a super size sun roof.

Its built as I understand it on the Octy platform - but I was told yesterday that it is indeed a different platform.

According to Skoda's internal speak the Octy is on A4 platform, Laura on A5 platform and Superb on A6 platform as per the Skoda guys.

The Yeti is likely to hit the shelves in Sep 2010.

The Top end version - the only one that will really be worth its name - is likely to hit the marketplace at an On road price of Rs 17-18 lacs in Delhi itself.

Bangalore being far more expensive, I would guess the BLR on road price to be in the region of 20-ish.

This means it will be a very impressive and expensive vehicle, given its size and proportions. But it still will be a solid European Urban SUV and while we may grumble and compare it adversely with the other SUV's in the market, lets also remember this will be the ONLY contemporary European SUV in the marketplace at this price range!
Face it, Feature for feature the CRV, Captiva are NO comparison with the Yeti! Skoda Badge value also has reasonable respect in India - for entry level European luxury no matter what anyone may say.

This fact alone will ensure it has several takers - the Yeti may not do the volumes of the Fortuner, but I think it will still gain good market acceptance levels, especially considering its 2 litre monster Diesel, 4WD, Skid Control, Electronic Stability control, hill descent control (even while descending in neutral) and other bells and whistles.

I, for one am looking forward to seeing it and testing it, though I may not really yet be in the bracket which can casually afford the vehicle as soon as it is launched.

Best of all - give it another couple of years time and say, by 2012-2013, there will be quite a nice rash of some seriously deadly vehicles in the used car marketplace - Im sure we will suddenly see a lot of regular guys like us driving about in some seriously fancy badge wheels - Beemers, Mercs, Fortuners, Skodas etc!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 20th January 2010 at 12:02.
Old 20th January 2010, 11:56   #48
BANNED

hey ampere
owing to these threads getting merged I missed your reply
yes I think both you and I see eye to eye more or less!
ive just posted some things about the Yeti which I found out last evening - below this post.

I dont understand why the Yeti thread should be merged with the Skoda Auto at Auto Show thread - doesnt make sense. The Yeti has a large following of interested people and thus in my opinion certainly merits its own thread!

Mods - why not consider what Im stating above please?

[quote=ampere;1672258]
@Shankar,

Sorry for the late response for the comments you had made to my post on the erstwhile Yeti thread which is closed.
Old 20th January 2010, 20:43   #49
Team-BHP Support

[quote=shankar.balan;1691468]hey ampere
ive just posted some things about the Yeti which I found out last evening - below this post.

I dont understand why the Yeti thread should be merged with the Skoda Auto at Auto Show thread - doesnt make sense. The Yeti has a large following of interested people and thus in my opinion certainly merits its own thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Shankar,

Sorry for the late response for the comments you had made to my post on the erstwhile Yeti thread which is closed.
@Shankar,

Pretty much the feeling is the same. My only hitch is that I cannot spend 17-20L for the vehicle. That's really out of my league. 12-16 I would be willing to consider. But this concession is only for the Yeti !!!!

Otherwise I go back to my good old Fusion, and search for similar vehicles in that space. Hopefully VW would have launched Golf in another 2 years. May not be a bad option at 10-12L.

Yes I agree its no comparison to Yeti, but you see a string can only be stretched to a limit !
Old 20th January 2010, 22:31   #50
Senior - BHPian

The Laura RS is a showstopper to say the least! Does Skoda have any plans of launching it here?
Old 25th January 2010, 07:32   #51
BANNED

i understand - its only here in India that even a higher level executive in a company can only manage to afford a car which anywhere else is normally the choice of a mid-level executive.
take the Ford Mondeo for example - a normal sales rep abroad could afford it whereas here it was positioned as a luxury car. Or VW Jetta - a middle class car abroad lands up here and becomes the preserve of the higher echelons of company executives!
Skoda Yeti outside of India (atleast to the extent it sells) will largely be driven by Soccer Moms and the like. Here, guys like you and me, will need to push ourselves rather hard to be able to buy one and as you say, may decide that spending 20 ish is not all that feasible/ great value after all. My thoughts were exactly the same in the case of Tucson earlier and now the Fortuner. Realistically speaking it might actually be better to hang on a bit and wait for such cars to hit the used car market at which time they will be significantly less expensive to buy. And given the fact that people seem to be upgrading much oftener than before, the chances are high for one to get a very good used example in the marketplace!
cheers

[quote=ampere;1692484]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
hey ampere

@Shankar,

Pretty much the feeling is the same. My only hitch is that I cannot spend 17-20L for the vehicle. That's really out of my league. 12-16 I would be willing to consider. But this concession is only for the Yeti !!!!

Otherwise I go back to my good old Fusion, and search for similar vehicles in that space. Hopefully VW would have launched Golf in another 2 years. May not be a bad option at 10-12L.

Yes I agree its no comparison to Yeti, but you see a string can only be stretched to a limit !
Old 25th January 2010, 09:17   #52
Team-BHP Support

[quote=shankar.balan;1698244]
take the Ford Mondeo for example - a normal sales rep abroad could afford it whereas here it was positioned as a luxury car. Or VW Jetta - a middle class car abroad lands up here and becomes the preserve of the higher echelons of company executives!

I beg to differ - in most cases, these are standard spec company cars given as part of the job. bought in fleets at huge discounts. They probably pay 1/3rd what we pay in reality
Old 25th January 2010, 10:43   #53
Team-BHP Support

[quote=ajmat;1698311]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

I beg to differ - in most cases, these are standard spec company cars given as part of the job. bought in fleets at huge discounts. They probably pay 1/3rd what we pay in reality

@Shankar, Bang on target. I am in the exact same boat as yours. After seeing the yeti pricing, I am liking my Fusion all the more . I would rather spend about 30-40K on the car, and make it run another 4 years !

@Ajmat,

My perspective was that the company leased cars now outsource the policy to a third party finance company. Finally its the user who pays the money on an EMI, while the company pays for insurance and other costs. At the end of the term, the user can either buy the vehicle and transfer it in his name or go for a new vehicle (new lease). In case he wants to hold the vehicle, he has to shell out a large amout from his pocket. Today most folks are going away from this concept.

That way, I see every one changing his/her vehicle at the end of the period and going for new ones. Good for Indian economy and also good for people like Shankar/Me , if we can get hold of Yeti and the likes.

As Shankar rightly points out, normal/mid segment cars in the western world are sold as snob value cars in India. A sad realty.

Last edited by ampere : 25th January 2010 at 10:45.
Old 25th February 2010, 12:00   #54

Revamped Skoda Fabia, Yeti, to be unveiled at the Geneva Show

ŠkodaAuto will show the new, facelifted Fabia hatchback, Fabia Estate and the Roomster CUV at the Geneva Motor Show next month. Cosmetic updates to the Fabia and Roomster cars include redesigned radiator grilles and wider headlamps.

Check it out here: Revamped Skoda Fabia, Yeti, to be unveiled at the Geneva Show | myCarQnA
Old 10th March 2010, 16:20   #55
SCH
BHPian

I guess Skoda should prepone the launch of Yeti to mid 2010 . If priced at 12-14 lakhs it would create a storm in the market..............
Old 10th March 2010, 16:49   #56
BHPian

Yes by doing so they can considerably close the price gap they have between the Laura and the Fabia. This will complete Skoda's car portfolio. Their 1.2L TSI is a sure winner I believe!
Old 12th March 2010, 22:01   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
The RS is brilliant. Hope they bring it to India.
this color looks great on the car and alloys are awesome i love them....
any idea about its price in INDIA ??
Old 15th March 2010, 18:22   #58
BHPian

Has Skoda announced as to when Laura RS will be launched in India.
Old 25th March 2010, 09:46   #59
Team-BHP Support

Any announcements from Skoda on the Yeti front?
A September sale, should start some rumbles/whispers now

All tight lipped on the western front?
Old 25th March 2010, 10:12   #60
BHPian

Nothing has slipped out of their mouth yet. I would like to see it at a price of around 14-15 lakhs. If it goes up to 20, it will go close to the current crop of SUV's like the Fortuner and Endeavour which are bigger and better. Skoda should have a plan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks