Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2010, 10:20   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
Nothing has slipped out of their mouth yet. I would like to see it at a price of around 14-15 lakhs. If it goes up to 20, it will go close to the current crop of SUV's like the Fortuner and Endeavour which are bigger and better. Skoda should have a plan
I sincerely hope! Hope always wins! I guess the highest end CRDI 4WD will fall in the starting SUV category of bigger SUVs. There should be a TSI 1.2 petrol, which should sell at 12-15L. For a good city and occasional highway driving, if it makes sense I would prefer this as compared to a sedan.
Old 25th March 2010, 17:13   #62
SCH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I sincerely hope! Hope always wins! I guess the highest end CRDI 4WD will fall in the starting SUV category of bigger SUVs. There should be a TSI 1.2 petrol, which should sell at 12-15L. For a good city and occasional highway driving, if it makes sense I would prefer this as compared to a sedan.

Yes you are right, but I guess they would launch the Diesel Yeti to have a fell of the market, and might bring the Petrol one later. Pricing would have a major impact for the Petrol 1.2. If it is priced between 10 -12 lakhs , then it would pick up. BTW any info on the Fuel Efficiency figures of 1.2 Petrol.
Old 25th March 2010, 18:35   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH View Post
Yes you are right, but I guess they would launch the Diesel Yeti to have a fell of the market, and might bring the Petrol one later. Pricing would have a major impact for the Petrol 1.2. If it is priced between 10 -12 lakhs , then it would pick up. BTW any info on the Fuel Efficiency figures of 1.2 Petrol.
Not sure. I would guesstimate to be anywhere between 12 to 18 city to highway. That should be good enough to me.
Old 25th March 2010, 20:04   #64
SCH
BHPian

Yeti if launched competatively , should give a tough competition to the Sedans. i guess Skoda would launch the 2 liter diesel and 1.2 Petrol later, although in UK 1.8 Petrol is also available. Skoda should expedite the launch of Yeti to create some excitement in the market as the other models are not selling much specially the Fabia. Any member has any latest update about the Yeti. I plan to bye another Car by May and not sure if I will be able to wait till September, if that is the likely launch date.
Old 25th March 2010, 21:09   #65
Team-BHP Support

As you say, I suspect, Skoda will not launch the petrol first. In fact I have a hunch that it would come mid of next year, when VW decides to bring in Golf along with the low displacement TSI options. Thats when the VW platform would optimize the engine manufacturing across vehicular platforms.

Case in point is that there are no 1.2/1.4/1.6 TSI options in the industry today. Just for the Yeti, production wont start, unless a mass production vehicle comes into the picture. I can only think of the Golf on that front.
Old 29th March 2010, 11:09   #66
SCH
BHPian

Over the weekend I saw in one of the Car Programs on TV.. I think it was CNBC, that the price of the Yeti would be similar to Skoda Laura. In fact they were comparing it to Laura , that Yeti has more space then a Laura but with similar comforts.
Old 5th April 2010, 12:15   #67
SCH
BHPian

Hi Members,

Any news about the likely launch date of SKoda Yeti ??
Old 5th April 2010, 14:10   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Over the weekend I saw in one of the Car Programs on TV.. I think it was CNBC, that the price of the Yeti would be similar to Skoda Laura. In fact they were comparing it to Laura , that Yeti has more space then a Laura but with similar comforts.
Did they mention about 4WD option for Yeti in India?
Old 5th April 2010, 16:28   #69
SCH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Did they mention about 4WD option for Yeti in India?
Yes ! They would launch 4WD with Diesel option..........
Old 5th April 2010, 20:08   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes ! They would launch 4WD with Diesel option..........
If the diesel Yeti comes in the same range as Laura, it would be a steal.
As I mentioned in my earlier posts, I dont think we will see the TSI petrol Yeti very soon.
Old 5th April 2010, 21:36   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the diesel Yeti comes in the same range as Laura, it would be a steal.
As I mentioned in my earlier posts, I dont think we will see the TSI petrol Yeti very soon.
Diesel Yeti in the range of diesel Laura? That would mean around 17 Lakhs on road?

How would that be a steal, when Yeti specs indicate that it is smaller than Scorpio/Safari?

Or did you mean Skoda stealing customers?
Old 5th April 2010, 22:04   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Diesel Yeti in the range of diesel Laura? That would mean around 17 Lakhs on road?

How would that be a steal, when Yeti specs indicate that it is smaller than Scorpio/Safari?

Or did you mean Skoda stealing customers?
Skoda is always stealing customer no doubt !

But still I feel a good highest-end European SUV (diesel) at 17L OTR should be a steal, esp. when the next quantum is in the range of 20-22L.

It fills the gap between Safari/Scorpio and the Fortuner class SUVs.
Old 6th April 2010, 10:09   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Skoda is always stealing customer no doubt !

But still I feel a good highest-end European SUV (diesel) at 17L OTR should be a steal, esp. when the next quantum is in the range of 20-22L.

It fills the gap between Safari/Scorpio and the Fortuner class SUVs.
Price-wise, yes, it fills the gap.

But value wise? CRDi of Skoda would be technologically superior to, say, that of Mahindra (?). But that is only one aspect of the package. As a prospective buyer, I would do an apple-to-apple comparison with competition offering similar value.

If Yeti offering is similar to that of Scorpio/Safari, then I would expect it to be priced similar. Not between Scorpio and Fortuner.
Old 6th April 2010, 17:59   #74
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But value wise? CRDi of Skoda would be technologically superior to, say, that of Mahindra (?).
Don't write off desi engineering just yet! The Scorpio has a stunning diesel engine...hardly any turbolag, respectably fuel-efficient, very tractable and quick too. Even the Maruti 1.2 K series - which I believe has had Indian inputs into the design - is the class-topper amongst 1.2s. It can take the fight right up to the Honda Jazz' engine.
Old 6th April 2010, 18:37   #75
Team-BHP Support

My only trouble where Indian designs is that the products (and not the design) fail in the final dash. In other words, we don't know the finishing aspects of a product, though we make technological advanced systems.

Packaging is the flaw our product chain. That is where the other guys score.
Its not the Scorpio's technology, but the Yeti's finish which drops our jaws.

PS: Folks, I have all the respects for Safari and Scorpio.
Will never write them off.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks