Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2010, 15:56   #31
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post

Bottom line: If the Auto Expo in India is to be a success the organizers should take better care of their VIPs and ensure that they dont get mobbed or shoved around. The security and police should be more courtious, which will lead to fewer quarrells. And lastly those who dare grope the models or block the gates should be shot.

Cheers,
DocG
I surely do not condone groping the models but one question i have is this
What value does it add to have skimpily clad women standing next to the cars? When we are WELL AWARE of the indian male and especially the north indian scene when it comes to women safety, WHY are we inviting any trouble by putting women up there at all?
Let me ask all here- who will intentionally go and see the car which has the most attractive girl standing even though the car in itself is trash, that too at an AUTO SHOW????
We should learn to do the right things at all places...if you wave a red flag- the bull will charge...not the bulls fault all the time...here again - not condoning the acts but saying avoid animals from behaving like one- do not give them a chance at all!!!
Old 13th January 2010, 15:56   #32
BHPian

Also Bharat Petroluem was distributing business hour passes for free with their premium petrol of Rs. 500 only.
I myself got 4 passes!

This is for sure that the venue - "Pragati Maidan" is huge in size. I really doubt that any other city in India may be having an exhibition ground of this size. The only drawback for this venue is the ample parking space to compensate the huge rush which close to 2 Lack visitors per day.
The fair organisors really need to streamline the fair by only issuing tickets for business hours and general public for significantly higher price.
This will surelly discourange the young crowd who is there to see the girls and take pictures.
Also the Delhi traffic police needs to work out the similar procedure for the traffic as they do for the trade fair from Nov 14-27 every year.
Old 13th January 2010, 18:10   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
If people had 1 child born or less , things would have been much better.

it is YOU who is to be blamed, not the organizers.

MORE people will attend in future and problem will grow....

Have less children, problem will solve naturally.
I can't believe you are actually saying this. That kind of implies that any sizeable event can't happen in India because of population.

Looking at your signature it seems you are from Bangalore. In that case you might have heard or actually visited the Aero show held in Bangalore. If not I suggest you go visit it the next time it happens. Because when I happened to visit it a few years ago it was very well organized. There were truckloads of people (despite tickets costing 1000 bucks and above) but almost none of the problems that plagued the Expo in Delhi this year.

There are cities in here and abroad with far more strain on infrastructure than Delhi but are able to organize bigger events with fewer hardships. Delhi can as well - and I do not have an iota of doubt when I say that. It is just about better management, coordination and organization. Lest you forget the Indian population is what draws the biggest carmakers to the Indian Auto Expo. Not even 25% of exhibitors who came here would go to Bhutan for an auto expo (with all due respect to natives of Bhutan). Think about it.
Old 13th January 2010, 21:32   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
My advice would be to replace all the babes with seasoned punks That way, most of the nuisance creators will be a well-behaved bunch of guys and they would concentrate only on cars! Seriously, with all the trauma, it's a strict NO-ENTRY-ZONE for lady visitors and children. As of now, the best place to know about this show day by day, is this forum itself
+1 on that.

Moreover with the guys of TBHP its like watching the ODIs at home, better commentry and coverage more than what people have seen in person. Great going guys.
Old 14th January 2010, 09:44   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
If people had 1 child born or less , things would have been much better.

it is YOU who is to be blamed, not the organizers.

MORE people will attend in future and problem will grow....

Have less children, problem will solve naturally.

Could not agree with you more. Just way too many people in our country to expect any kind of control. Also no one is afraid of the law because there is almost zero law enforcement when it comes to uncivil and disruptive behaviour.

It is a bitter pill to swallow, but just way too many people with the attitude that life is a dog fight. Both rich and poor , educated and uneducated.

I have been to the HAL airshow many times and the reason why there is a semblance of order is because of the subliminal threat of violence when you misbehave. Maybe they need to bring in 5000 CRPF personell who carry guns and flood the Auto expo with a couple of them every 50'. Then you will see some well behaved people.

An other alternative is to make the tickets obscenely costly and schedule entry and exit times. Every ticket should cost dearly, should be reserved ahead of time with a scheduled time of arrival and departure.. That will atleast cut the crowd down. Again a bitter pill to swallow , but will work.

Last edited by rrnsss : 14th January 2010 at 09:59.
Old 14th January 2010, 10:29   #36
BHPian

The media and business visitor's days were anything but restricted to general public.
Where were a lot of people who clearly did not fall into these categories who were present there.

Also, it was very chaotic before and after the show, they only open gate 1 for trucks to come in and go out, leading to mega blocks inside pragati maidan, i had to wait for almost 4 hours with my truck outside the pavilion because there was no space to unload the cargo.

But, i must agree, it was a great platform for people like us to showcase our talents, and a thank the organizers for providing this wonderful opportunity
Old 14th January 2010, 10:33   #37
Senior - BHPian

As others said, before organizing such major expos authorities must ensure that proper aminities, parking and systems are generated and maintained so as visitor shouldn't face problems.

I too went to the auto-expo, but what parking - it was BIG MESS ! Though i went in Business hours still the parking was HELL !! I parked at India Gate, but as usual shuttle service behaved like govt' dept. Had to pickup an auto and flee to-fro fbetween pragti maidan-Car parking.
Old 14th January 2010, 11:36   #38
BANNED

Here is a starting point to solve the crowd mess.

So, how many tickets were sold?

How many tickets were distributed to participants (those with stalls?

How many press passess were distributed? How many journalists are there is India?

How many complimentary (free) passes were distributed and why?

Dont call me dumb, I feel that if the organisers get more transparent on these issues, we, as a community would have better solutions.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 14th January 2010 at 11:44.
Old 14th January 2010, 13:26   #39
Senior - BHPian

The facilities could have been maintained a bit better/cleaner. I didn't have a problem getting in the venue nor did i encounter any rowdy scenes. There has to be better crowd control at these events and qualified people should be brought in from overseas , if need be, to coordinate the same. A bigger venue is also required. Too much to ask?. Well, whatever can be achieved must be, and that's where we're woefully lacking.
Old 14th January 2010, 13:41   #40
Team-BHP Support

Auto Expo 2008 had 1.8 million visitors
Auto Expo 2010 had 1.2 million visitors

So its more of a mismanagement problem. In 2008, while things were crazy, this time it was worse. Stall layout played a big role in the chaos, with narrow corridors around some stalls. What were they thinking? A stampede here could have been disastrous!

Rather than fancy solutions like splitting expo etc., all they need to do is
1. Regulate media and business passes
2. Have it over 2 weekends.
For example, expo can start thursday, with Thursday/Friday/Sat being for business visiters and media, and after that there can be a full week for general visitors.
On weekdays, expo hours can be till 8 or 9pm so that people can attend after office, and weekend rush will be taken care off. For example, instead of 11am, start expo at 2pm and carry on till 9pm.
Old 14th January 2010, 19:33   #41
BHPian

The real issue is how do they separate BUSINESS visitors from GENERAL visitors? A strict verification procedure needs to be implemented. Out of 100 BUSINESS visitors, 90 are Jokers - courtesy of free passes.
Old 15th January 2010, 01:25   #42
Senior - BHPian

Wow after reading all this I am glad that I didnt go there. This is crazy, we should have it in Mumbai, people are way more civilized here
Old 15th January 2010, 07:12   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
Bottom line: If the Auto Expo in India is to be a success the organizers should take better care of their VIPs and ensure that they dont get mobbed or shoved around.
The event managers should take better care of not only the VIPs but also the common man, who, is a visitor to the expo.

India lacks a single line multiserver queueing system that one sees abroad, time and again!

It is more of a time pass entertainment or 80% of the crowd especially during the general hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Wow after reading all this I am glad that I didnt go there.
A +1 to that!
Old 15th January 2010, 10:33   #44
BHPian

Auto Expo 2010

After reading everybody's opinion on this forum , I could not agree more on the "DISASTER" that the Auto Expo was this year !. Attended on the last two days 10th & 11th, so timed my entry /exit time carefully. The best entry was from Gate 11, just off the Pragati Metro station . No rush there for tickets . Would enter by 11am and see stalls in relative peace before the real MAD rush started from 2pm onwards. Would then similarly make for a quick exit from gate 11 towards the metro !
WILL seriously re-think about attending again in 2012'!!

Last edited by ketla2411 : 15th January 2010 at 10:41.

Most Viewed